Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 17-07-2014, 03:58 PM
icytailmark (Mark)

Carbon tax scrapped

Australia has given up on science and given up on this planet. Science is crap according to tony abbott. Im glad im never having kids.

This video clip is appropriate for today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9c1QYx9ris
Old 17-07-2014, 04:24 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

thanks I didnt see that coming.
who would have guessed.
but it will be followed by something even better...trust me..and dont give up on having kids..just lets forget politics and talk kids..best wishes
Old 17-07-2014, 04:28 PM
glend (Glen)

People will adapt, and one day the world will be like the planet in Blade Runner. It's all good incentive to get off this planet and colonise. A realist I be.
Old 17-07-2014, 04:40 PM
icytailmark (Mark)

There is only so much you can adapt to. Mars or Venus that is where our planet is heading towards. I put my money on earth looking like mars in a thousand years. But the human race will be long gone before that happens we will run out of water and food. As for colonising other worlds i dont see it happening because we care too much about money. I bet we are the laughing stock of the milky way from aliens point of view.
Old 17-07-2014, 04:40 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

you will make it happen ..things take time ..dont give up..see a good future leave no room for an unhappy outcome.. the battle has only started so dont pretend it is over
Old 17-07-2014, 04:51 PM
icytailmark (Mark)

i can picture sydney looking like the simpson desert in a few hundred years time.
Old 17-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

They also cut the 80% reduction in CO2 by 2050 target:
https://theconversation.com/carbon-t...-respond-29154
Old 17-07-2014, 04:59 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

Quote:
It's all good incentive to get off this planet
Always seeking more dark, cloudless nights and pinpoint seeing, eh?
Old 17-07-2014, 05:16 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by icytailmark View Post
Australia has given up on science and given up on this planet. Science is crap according to tony abbott. Im glad im never having kids.

This video clip is appropriate for today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9c1QYx9ris
Science is not crap. The carbon tax is. Nobody has given up on science. When the whole world agrees and cuts emissions instead of taxing people we'll get somewhere. If not we'll hit the wall. The latter being more likely.
Old 17-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Yeah the carbon price only saved between 11 & 17 million tonnes of carbon emissions during it's short life (the biggest fall in emissions in 24 years) and didn't wreck the economy, cause a lamb roast to reach $100 or even wipe Whyalla off the map.

The biggest crap is what Tony & co have said about it (& climate-science).
Don't worry if you don't see your promised $550 savings. Tony has sent it all to Gina Rinehart for safe-keeping
Old 17-07-2014, 06:28 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

The forum rules read the forum rules
Old 17-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

It was nothing more than a wealth re-distribution tax, high income earners were hit with increased power bills, lower income earners & welfare recipients etc. were given subsidies to carry on as usual.

Billions of $ were given to energy producers in the form of subsidies...which were overly generous and they are now bleating about....

Don't get me wrong...I think climate change is real and burning fossil fuels is having a big impact.

The problem for Oz was we were acting like a bunch of vegetarians running an abattoir. Taxing local coal fired energy producers, while they very same coal was being shipped to places like, Pakistan, who claimed their "new" coal fired plants were "cleaner", then claiming a carbon credit to burn the same australian coal !!

A stupid tax. Glad to see it gone.
Old 17-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I'm just shocked this country relies on burning coal for power generation when there's plentiful sunshine
Old 17-07-2014, 07:42 PM
Dooghan (Dooghan)

The price of power

An interesting read/listen.
Old 17-07-2014, 07:47 PM
icytailmark (Mark)

i think more and more people will start living off the grid with their own solar panels. Even without the carbon tax power prices will continue to go up neverending.
Old 17-07-2014, 08:48 PM
wulfgar

The future survival of humanity and the co existence of right wing knuckle scraping flat earthers are contradictory realities.

If Co2 rises above 800 ppmv then humanity and most advanced mammals face the risk of extinction with many times greater certainty than that risked by a major nuclear war.
Old 17-07-2014, 09:09 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfgar View Post
The future survival of humanity and the co existence of right wing knuckle scraping flat earthers are contradictory realities.

If Co2 rises above 800 ppmv then humanity and most advanced mammals face the risk of extinction with many times greater certainty than that risked by a major nuclear war.
So at a personal level what will you do..
Will you reduce your footprint by a responsible percentage..travel less..consumer less..switch off your lights early..drive your car less..take shorter showers..or will you just blame someone else..set example take personal responsibility is the best ace to start...would you not agree.. And how about a non political thread...how to personally reduce my carbon foot print and how I show others how they can do it as well..Or we could just name call and cop out ... Isn't carbon tax a out Australia setting an example we are the Australians not the government.. We can set the example can we..you can personally post here how much energy you save and that you don't desert e the names you reserve for others less intelligent and void of ethic in this matter.
Not trying to Inst. you but trying to make you understand we each have our part..leave it to others will not guarantee success.personal action and heroic action is called did.I call on you will you take up the challenge..
I will support you as will otters
Alex
Old 17-07-2014, 09:17 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Anyone step up give energy saving advice..ask where the energy goes..does your office have a hot water service that is unused and inefficient..is there300 fridges in your office block with100 liters of milk.. Light around that are not needed..see something can't you complain..Binning need to be brought to their knees and they are only one...just stop blaming the government they will follow but someone must lead
Alexa
Old 17-07-2014, 09:31 PM
wulfgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
So at a personal level what will you do..
Klaatu has given us the direction, exterminate them!

To survive, we have a choice on how to deal with them.

Elimination being uppermost in the hierarchy of controls.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...f_Controls.PNG
Old 17-07-2014, 09:33 PM
casstony

We've got solar panels, looking forward to battery prices falling over the next few years to add storage to the house and move to an electric car charged with our own power.
Germany has started subsidizing storage so battery prices are predicted to fall with increased production volumes, not to mention a variety of newly emerging technologies that could lead to cheaper battery prices.
Closed Thread