Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-01-2020, 05:40 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

PHD2 synscan eq5 problem

Coming back to Astro after a few years away. I am trying to drive a Vixen GP mount that has Synscan EQ5 goto fitted. The mount works fine with the standard hand controller and also can be controlled using the PC direct function. However I wish to use EQMOD and do away with the hand controller. I purchased a Shoestring EQDIR cable from Bintel (too old and clumsy to DIY) and it allows me to control the mount directly from my PC via the standard ASCOM control window just fine, so it would appear the EQDIR comms is working OK. However after connecting, PHD2 will not control the mount using the "manual guide" function nor will it successfully calibrate, simply marching off West with no movement of the mount until it times out.

I have tried "on camera" which does not give me the ASCOM driver panel, and "Skywatcher telescope (ASCOM)" drivers, which complains there is no Com port, so no luck with either. The EQMOD ASCOM heq5/6 sets up just fine, but no comms with PHD2, although the ASCOM control panel works fine.

Has anyone ran across this problem with the Synscan/EQ5 package, which claims to be ASCOM compliant?
Old 16-01-2020, 06:45 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Mike,
Are you set up to use “pulse control” or ST4 “on camera”?
PHD2 is pretty much independent of EQMod.
If you’re not set up under EQMod to use pulse control, the On camera and RA/ Dec set to X0.5 should work for you.
Old 16-01-2020, 08:10 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Thanks for the response. I'm setup in ASCOM for pulse guiding, have never used ST4. Would prefer not to have the extra ST4 cable, if that's what you're suggesting.

I've used EQMOD before for years with EQ6 and AZEQ6 mounts with no problem, just seems to be an issue with the Synscan/eq5 package. I've talked to Bintel and Tasco, but nothing concrete has emerged.
Old 16-01-2020, 08:54 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Mike,
OK,
Whatever the issue seems to be associated with the EQ5 equivalence of the Vixen mount set up.
My experience is with the HEQ5 and HEQ6, which as you know work well under EQMOD.
Not sure I can add anything.......

Last edited by Merlin66; 17-01-2020 at 04:44 PM.