Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-02-2024, 10:27 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

NGC 6188 & 6164 Blast from the past

Contemplated never admitting I was sitting on data this old, but what the heck. After my 8" Newt, I purchased a little WO Zenithstar I 80mm refractor to do some visual while imaging. Enjoyed it so much bought a slightly more capable WO ZSII 80mm in 2012. Nowadays it gets used a few times a year for visual by my son. One day thought what harm could there be sticking a camera on it, which eventually convinced me to "go refractors" and buy an FSQ.
Data/image below was collected while learning how to do automated sessions across many nights in the backyard. Also coincided with finding my trusty MPCC coma corrector seemed to tighten up the ZS80II FOV.

Last time I tried to make anything of this data it wasn't pretty (see my gallery archive if interested). Recently had another more organised attempt at various NB colour schemes and came up with a reddish SHO version below.
Didn't do RGB stars back then and didn't want to layer more modern data over all this very old data. Thanks for checking it out, and be kind if seems a bit soft/arty by modern standards. NGC 6164 seemed better represented in an earlier version/palette.

Higher res zoomable images available here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yqAJJTYsT4PPgqWY9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PmNqRih7Tr3J1SEy8

Oh, and if you've never seen it before please check out an image that's always been one of my astro favs and great inspiration:
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap160330.html
(apologies to all those here that have also done awesome Fighting Dragon pics too)

This image a 2 frame mosaic, approx 35hrs total data.
QHY9/WO ZS80II (with MPCC)/HEQ5Pro.
Data July 2012, processed Feb 2024.
Baader 7nm NB filters. All manually focused (Bhat mask).

Edit 24/2/24: Apologies - NGC 6164 data is actually from a later dataset - 2018 taken with FSQ106 - NGC 6188 was all from ZS80II 2012. Mixed the 2 up due to my error while reprocessing the older data.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC 6188 & 6164 very small.jpg)
185.2 KB58 views
Click for full-size image (Ha O3 Final  Large.jpg)
84.9 KB57 views

Last edited by RobF; 24-02-2024 at 11:17 PM.
Old 24-02-2024, 08:44 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

12 years huh Rob?...practically film days ...always a bit of fun playing with old data, nice

Mike
Old 24-02-2024, 11:16 AM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Honestly thought it was beyond rescue Mike, but so glad I'm an astro-hoarder and try to keep everything. Have been tidying up my imaging notes in recent months for places and people visited and found some surprising stuff in the vault. Also makes you remember people and images that really inspired during the journey - lots here at Ice too

Was going to ask if there is a prize for oldest data processed, but technically this sucker is a repro on very scary first effort years ago

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pFJ7Te2FfLcDw3pa7
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SHO crazy blue.jpg)
204.2 KB11 views
Old 24-02-2024, 09:40 PM
Dave882 (David)

Beautiful result mate! And I agree with the huge advancements in image processing over the past little while it’s worth hanging onto your data for a rainy day!!
Old 24-02-2024, 11:18 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Thanks for checking them out Dave - certainly been plenty of rain and cloud here in Brissy of late too!