Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Hi Tasha,

Yes the York promotion is for 15% for that price range of scope, (the 20% is from $600-$800 sorry) so the collapsible 10" Skywatcher dob is therefore $850. Make sure you quote the code 158003 or just tell them that you are an IceInSpace member and they will give you the discount in the store. Be quick though, they only had 2 left in Brisbane store when I went looking in the Sydney store over the break and they are selling fast.

Buy hubby a cheshire collimator for around $30-$50. This will be all he needs for now, less chance of error with the laser being out of collimation etc.

Cheers

Chris.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:55 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

okay, quick check, if he is going the photography route, do not get the truss tube modle go the solid tube. Reason being you will have major difficulties mounting a truss tube on a goto mount or any mount for that matter.

Don't be affraid of the portability of a 10", like i stated it fits in a lancer accross the back seat and recently i went about 40min out of perth to join a club outing, i had myself my partner, my son, my 10" scope, base and all, a 5" meade ETX ,tent, bags, food, accessories ect ect. the truss tube is only marginally lighter and smaller anyhow.

Oh by the way i can verify that the SW dobsonian tubes mounted on a eq6 produce some very nice images. I was with a friend off this forum on saturday night he has a 8" SW mounted with a orion short tube guide scope and a cannon 350D DSLR, we where capturing the horse head/flame nebula, a few nice open clusters ect ect.

As for the collmination one of the easiest methods for a beginner is the laser. though be highly aware that you need to collminate the laser first.

This in itself is not hard, locate the 3 grub screws (i think one is under a sticker) then find something so you can rotate the colminator round and round in, observe the laser beam on a wall ~5m away, if it turns a circle about 1 -1.5cm then your pretty much spot on. you can get it better thats upto your padanticness.

My own method i employ 2 different types of tools.
-A laser (to align the secondary to the primary mirror
-A cheshire (to align the primary to the ep)

Soon i will have to employ a high end collmination system as astro photography requires this because a CCD is far more sensitive but thats a whole new demon. hope i have cleared it up for you

Brendan
Old 05-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Mr. Subatomic

What's this I'm reading about a 15% discount from York Optical for IIS members?

Is there anywhere on the website where I can verify this?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Subatomic View Post
What's this I'm reading about a 15% discount from York Optical for IIS members?

Is there anywhere on the website where I can verify this?
Hey Mr Subatomic,

Check out the banner on the right over there >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

above the AS&T advertisement, click on the York Optical banner and it will take you to the table which shows the discount structure. It SAYS must be an online order, but when I asked in the store, they were more than happy to honour the discount on the spot as I said I am an IIS member.

For example, a $999 scope will get a 15% discount which means it will end up costing you $850. Good deal.

A $799 scope will get the 20% discount which means it will cost you $632.50 BETTER DEAL.

There ya go, explained.....just check on their stock as levels are quite low at the moment.

If you look at page 4 of their catalogue, this is where the Skywatcher dobs/solid and truss are...

Cheers

Chris
Old 05-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Mr. Subatomic

Excellent!