Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-05-2011, 09:32 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Viewing the Total Lunar Eclipse from Brisbane area

Moved this discussion to a new thread

Turns out I'll actually be in QLD on the 15th and 16th June, presenting a social media seminar for real estate agents.

So I'll need to get some ideas from my QLD friends about where I can observe this from, low in the West with a nice foreground!

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by iceman; 26-05-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 24-05-2011, 03:39 PM
steve000 (Steve)
just a bit obsessed

Spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Why so late, Liz? You'll get the partial phases before that won't you? 4:20 is AEST.. Still not daylight savings

Turns out I'll actually be in QLD on that day and the day before, presenting a social media seminar for real estate agents.

So I'll need to get some ideas from my QLD friends about where I can observe this from, low in the West with a nice foreground!
Hey mate, I have a decent spot for you if you are keen?
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&s...04823&t=h&z=18

its up a slight hill in the road, with little street lights over looking a large farm yard. You can see from about 2 degrees above horizon id guess
Old 24-05-2011, 06:04 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve000 View Post
Hey mate, I have a decent spot for you if you are keen?
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&s...04823&t=h&z=18

its up a slight hill in the road, with little street lights over looking a large farm yard. You can see from about 2 degrees above horizon id guess
Looks good!
Have you got a photo of what it looks like when pointing out that way?

How far from Brisbane is it?
Old 24-05-2011, 06:34 PM
steve000 (Steve)
just a bit obsessed

Quote:
Looks good!
Have you got a photo of what it looks like when pointing out that way?

How far from Brisbane is it?

I do.. dunno where, i keep lookin..

Outside of peak hour, it about 20k takes about 30mins max.

Dunno where u stayin OR what transport you will have. There is a hotel just next to it though, dunno if its good hotel tho, looks dodge

I leave for work from around there at 730am to get in at 830 so id be happy 2 give you a lift back, id also offer a room for the night but non available sorry
Old 24-05-2011, 06:40 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Sounds ok, will be in touch.

I don't know where my hotel will be yet but it'll be close to the city. I'll have to find a taxi to take me somewhere at like 3am LOL

Is there a spot on the East side of the city with a view over the city to the West? Or would Mt Cootha be in the way?

I'll only have my camera+tripod, can't lug the telescope and mount on a work trip
Old 24-05-2011, 07:26 PM
steve000 (Steve)
just a bit obsessed

Quote:
Sounds ok, will be in touch.

I don't know where my hotel will be yet but it'll be close to the city. I'll have to find a taxi to take me somewhere at like 3am LOL

Is there a spot on the East side of the city with a view over the city to the West? Or would Mt Cootha be in the way?

I'll only have my camera+tripod, can't lug the telescope and mount on a work trip

Mt cootha and surrounding would probably be in the way.. HOWEVER, you may be lucky to get a decent view from mt cootha. if anyone else can have an opinion on this that would be good as I dont know it very well

Even trains to my place would be a little to late.. arrive at 5:32am. takes about 5 mins to get to the spot from the train

Extimated cab fare from city to here $60
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_7144.jpg)
195.7 KB88 views
Old 24-05-2011, 10:15 PM
steve000 (Steve)
just a bit obsessed

I asked some friends on that side of town. no one had any idea.

I recken you ask your hotel if they have a entertainment balcony or similar you could get access to
Old 25-05-2011, 07:18 PM
StephenM (Stephen)

Quote:
Is there a spot on the East side of the city with a view over the city to the West?
Hi Mike,

I was thinking of this spot, but then realised that the Moon will be setting in the WSW, not WNW. I'm not aware of any other spots that would be similar to this.

So at this stage I'll probably just go the the local park a few minutes from my place. The view to the west looks like this, and there are some nice gums that can be included in wider angle images. Not a "stunning" foreground, but not too bad all the same. This location is only about 15-20 minutes by taxi from the city (closer to 15 at 4am!). You're very welcome to join me of you'd like. Since it's close to home I'll happilly provide breakfast for you as well!

Cheers,
Stephen
Old 26-05-2011, 07:24 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Thanks Stephen - the one with the Moon and Pleiades looks great. Just what I would hope for.

Where exactly is that location so I can check it out on google maps and compare it to where the Moon is setting?

Is there anywhere else like that?

The local park sounds ok as a last resort but want more foreground given I'll be using a reasonably wide lens.
Old 26-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Analog6 (Odille)

Do we have the actual times anywhere on here? I need to nut out a spot too not too far from home preferably
Old 26-05-2011, 02:37 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Here, Odille:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-618-0-0-1-0.html
Old 31-05-2011, 06:47 PM
CometGuy

Hey Mike, why not head up to River Terrace, Kangaroo Point, where there is a clear view looking back over the city and river. Should be great location to frame the moon.

Terry
Old 09-06-2011, 01:26 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometGuy View Post
Hey Mike, why not head up to River Terrace, Kangaroo Point, where there is a clear view looking back over the city and river. Should be great location to frame the moon.

Terry
That doesn't look too bad, Terry - but the Moon appears to be setting too far to the West to be able to get the city in the FOV.

From that location, the city appears to be to the North West, but the Moon is setting in the South West (approx 243deg).

Is there anywhere with a better view?

This location appears to be pointing in the right direction, but doesn't have great view of the horizon and the Moon would be lost in the trees too early.

Any other ideas anyone?
Old 09-06-2011, 05:16 PM
oosh (Jason)
Citizen of the Cosmos

Too bad it's in the west, we're going to be staying a few nights at Alex Heads while this is on... maybe they have an accessible roof..
Old 09-06-2011, 05:23 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Still quite early in the West, especially when I have my exams on I am going to have to miss it because of that.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:12 PM
h0ughy (David)

did you finally work this out Mike? it will be fully clouded out and raining in Newcastle and the forecast for brissy is for clear skies - so Al and i are looking to board a plane wednesday night and fly up there - do the eclipse and then fly home later on thursday? that kangaroo point looks ok - totality is at 6.12am. So have to work out how to get from airport to there?
Old 12-06-2011, 01:00 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

there used to be some ok spots for photgraphy around bowen terrace new farm, much like river terrace your on top of a cliff face .
(Edit) the street view still looks promising around wilsons outlook
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...ed=0CCYQ8gEwAA

only with the bridge and city in front of you though I havn't been there for many years so don"t know of buildings and tree situation, the view i can find looks down at that park area you first mentioned ,very close to where I was born, I think you would find a wall of buildings in front of you from down there.

Good luck a low is forming somewhere off the coast , hopefully the rain
nicks off by mid-week.

Last edited by GrahamL; 12-06-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:12 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
did you finally work this out Mike? it will be fully clouded out and raining in Newcastle and the forecast for brissy is for clear skies - so Al and i are looking to board a plane wednesday night and fly up there - do the eclipse and then fly home later on thursday? that kangaroo point looks ok - totality is at 6.12am. So have to work out how to get from airport to there?
I still haven't decided. I was hoping some other Brisbanites would come in with their ideas.

The forecast looks ok for Brisbane so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightstalker View Post
there used to be some ok spots for photgraphy around bowen terrace new farm, much like river terrace your on top of a cliff face .
(Edit) the street view still looks promising around wilsons outlook
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...ed=0CCYQ8gEwAA
That looks ok actually.
Check out this street view
Big ugly bridge in the way but it might be good
Check out the panoramio photos on that street view, could be nice.

Also check out the attached view from sceneplanner.com - shows my Canon 40D with a 17-70mm lens @17mm, and the green line is the direction of the Moon Set.

So I should be able to fit the city plus the Moon.

I think that's my preferred spot unless someone can show me a better one.

And it's close to the city too so will be good to get to where I need to afterwards, and getting to the lookout at 4am!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (eclipse.jpg)
150.3 KB50 views
Old 12-06-2011, 05:26 PM
oosh (Jason)
Citizen of the Cosmos

I've yet to find a spot really.. I'm wondering if the top of Mt Coot-tha has any decent spots for the angle we're after. Hey, that scene planner thing looks pretty nifty Mike Another is "the photographers ephemeris', though you're probably aware of that one.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:29 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Sceneplanner.com is great! I discovered it a few weeks ago.