Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-01-2023, 01:43 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Dew on lens or is it ice on sensor?

I tried to run off a few subs last night after the moon set but was confronted with the images as shown in the attachments. I aborted the imaging session after these five frames and gave up.

The camera is a QSI683 which I have had since 2014 and it has been performing very nicely with no problems during this time. The telescope is a TSA120 refractor. I have never seen this type of issue previously. Note that I always cool down the sensor to -20c over a five minute period before kicking off the imaging session. In the time that I have had the camera I have not touched the desiccant or removed it for recharging.

I initially thought that I may have had ice or condensation on the sensor but when I look at the images in sequence I can see that the 'fog' is gradually reducing from one sub to the next. These are 3 minute exposures with the Luminance filter. This video here on my Dropbox shows this clearly. Given this I am wondering if the issue was actually dew on the lens that took a while to dissipate. I didn't actually check the front lens of the telescope when I kicked off the imaging session though I did after I had closed everything down and it was clear.

I have two working theories therefore that I would like opinions on to see what others think.

Theory one is that I had ice or condensation on the sensor and I need to bight the bullet and recharge the desiccant.

Theory two (which I prefer) is that it was actually dew on the lens given that it was quite humid last night and that the dew formed on the lens before the dew heaters had time to get things up to temperature. I can test this easily enough by making sure to check out the front objective before kicking off my imaging session. If the lens is clear and I get the same thing then clearly I need to go down the desiccant path.

What do others think? Theory one or theory two? Other thoughts?

Clear skies,
Rodney
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Image06.jpg)
200.1 KB66 views

Last edited by Ryderscope; 31-01-2023 at 04:55 PM.
Old 31-01-2023, 04:30 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Hi Rodney,

Given your CCD is rectangular and the “dew” is circular, my bet is on the lens (or filter? Or FF?)...so, option 2!

Peter
Old 31-01-2023, 04:51 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
Hi Rodney,

Given your CCD is rectangular and the “dew” is circular, my bet is on the lens (or filter? Or FF?)...so, option 2!

Peter
Very good thought Peter. I like your thinking.
Old 31-01-2023, 05:11 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

A quick test would be to get it going (And hopefully see the issue) then turn off the camera cooler. If the issue rapidly resolves (And more so, comes back if you turn the cooler back on) then it is camera related.
Old 31-01-2023, 05:28 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

I've got the same camera and have seen the same artefact. Time to dry out the desiccant.
Old 31-01-2023, 05:45 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
A quick test would be to get it going (And hopefully see the issue) then turn off the camera cooler. If the issue rapidly resolves (And more so, comes back if you turn the cooler back on) then it is camera related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
I've got the same camera and have seen the same artefact. Time to dry out the desiccant.
Good idea Paul on turning off the cooler, worth a shot.

@ Peter, yeah I guess that given that the camera has been running along for 'nigh on 8 years it has had a pretty good run. Did you have any issues with drying out the desiccant?
Old 31-01-2023, 09:28 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
Good idea Paul on turning off the cooler, worth a shot.

@ Peter, yeah I guess that given that the camera has been running along for 'nigh on 8 years it has had a pretty good run. Did you have any issues with drying out the desiccant?
The QSI website has instructions on what to do. Pretty simple and effective in my experience.
Old 31-01-2023, 10:01 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Quote:
The QSI website has instructions on what to do. Pretty simple and effective in my experience.
Thanks Peter, I will follow that through. I’ve been thinking as well that my last couple of data acquisition projects have been struggling to reach the FWHM figures that I’ve been used to and I’ve been blaming it on the seeing. This may not be the case and I may have had moisture building up in the camera.
Old 31-01-2023, 11:14 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

https://qsimaging.com/support/maintenance-and-warranty/
Old 31-01-2023, 11:19 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

User manual

Here are the instructions
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_20230131_231702_Drive.jpg)
227.9 KB38 views
Old 31-01-2023, 11:29 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Quote:
Here are the instructions
Brilliant! Thank you.

One question, do you need to cover the chamber on the camera some how whilst the desiccant is recharging?
Old 01-02-2023, 10:57 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
Brilliant! Thank you.

One question, do you need to cover the chamber on the camera some how whilst the desiccant is recharging?
The dessicant chamber is isolated from the camera internally by a white membrane. I just reinstated the black rectangular dessicant chamber cover while the dessicant insert was baking. You also need to let it cool down before replacing it in the camera. I placed it in a clean glass jar to cool to minimise its exposure to moisture while cooling.