Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2024, 09:59 PM
vk6kb (Keith)

Uni strut for roll off roof rails.

A friend suggested the 41 x 41 x 2mm Unistrut mounted upside down, ie with the opening at the top, would be an ideal track then you can use four or six of the 4 wheel roller assemblies attached to the roof in the tracks.
I think I'm going to go this way and I'm wondering if anyone else has done this ?
My roof will be 3 mtrs long and 2.2 mtrs wide and fairly light, possibly dark coloured plastic roof sheets.
The whole obsy is being made from patio tube, 76 x 36 I think it is, with steel sheet cladding, all sourced for free from my local radio club
Cheers
Old 12-01-2024, 07:37 AM
Goschencat (Rex)
Time Traveller

Hi Keith. I’ve used upside down unistrut on my mini obs for the roof rails and it works fine. I didn’t used the wheels you mention. I opted for brass rollers running on top of one of the sides if the unistrut. Then added a T section at each end of the roof that runs inside the unistrut as hold down, preventing the roof lifting at all.
Good luck with your build.
Cheers
Rex VK3OF
Old 12-01-2024, 05:45 PM
vk6kb (Keith)

Thanks Rex,
I've sourced some locally so with go have a look at how the rollers fit.
73 & Clear Skies
Old 17-01-2024, 02:01 AM
tempestwizz (Brian)

I’ve used the channels and rollers from panel lift garage doors in an earlier build. After a diplomatic approach to one of the garage door companies I managed to acquire for a modest fee, a range of channels and wheels removed that had been removed as part of a refurbishment program for more a modern style for their customers. They had piles of second hand channels and wheels that were no longer of use in their current projects.
HTH
Old 18-01-2024, 09:06 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Unistrut for ROR.

I am "testing" unistrut as rails as a C section type arrangement on the cubby house/trust roof I built for the kids 25 years ago. ( the grandies need better ...) The reason was I want the up lift and water problem engineered out . I bought standard rollers off amazon and have ground down 4 so far to 35mm +-0.1mm .They roll ok .The brackets for the rollers only arrived today so I look forward to swapping out the drilled timber blocks .
Old 24-01-2024, 07:30 PM
vk6kb (Keith)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestwizz View Post
I’ve used the channels and rollers from panel lift garage doors in an earlier build. After a diplomatic approach to one of the garage door companies I managed to acquire for a modest fee, a range of channels and wheels removed that had been removed as part of a refurbishment program for more a modern style for their customers. They had piles of second hand channels and wheels that were no longer of use in their current projects.
HTH
Thanks for the info , I've been to both Unistrut and garage door suppliers today and I think I will go with the garage door track, specifically the track from B & D garage doors which has a back strengthener in the track and the rollers are 2 mm bigger in diameter.
The unistrut works out about $100 dearer as well, and the track has more play when the rollers are fitted.
As soon as our temps drop below 30 C for a week I'll start the concreting.
Thanks for the advice folks, and I may still change my mind if I can find any free stuff
Cheers