Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

advice on old silver cutlery

Happy new year all.

I know its a funny place to ask but can someone please advise me of where to go to get a very old silver cutlery set valued.
When I mean old ! not really late 50's or early 60's
I was going to put it on eBay but I have no idea where to start. No good starting at 1 dollar selling for 10 dollars and its worth way more.
Can anyone that knows about these things Pm me with any help.

Thanks.
David.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Wavytone

Check out the antique dealers near you, some deal in cutlery. I suspect you're going to be disappointed by them in which case try selling privately on eBay.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Waxing_Gibbous (Peter)
Grumpy Old Man-Child

There are a plethora of dealers in High St., Prahan, Melbourne. Select a few pieces that best represent your collection, (wrap carefully) plus a photo of the whole. Any of the larger dealers in Silver should be able to give you an accurate valuation.
Of course what the'll give you is another matter (generally 25-30%), so youre probably best selling privately.
Just an aside: I believe good quality items representative of the era '45-70ish, sell quite well.
Good Luck,
Peter
Old 02-01-2010, 11:44 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

I have a valuation book.
If you could post some close up pics of the hallmark and design of the cutlery.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Thanks to those who have Pm'd me
The dealers I have contacted have either been not willing to help and some down right rude. I could try an auction house

Anyway I'm not looking to make a fortune and I dont think its worth very much. What I can gather around 5 to 10 dollars a piece.

JJJ thanks for helping, here are some photo's.
It's a 50 piece set. My mother said it was her mothers and does not remember when she got it. But did say at a formal dinner she had in 1965 for my uncle who was in the war in Asia it was used then. And remember her saying she had the set for a while. There is no box and they have tarnished a bit. I'm sure they could be cleaned as there silver.
The set is Rodd Camille EPNS with some logo which I cant's make out. The photo's are about as good as I can get with my camera.

Dealers seem to be a pain to deal with!! so its a auction house or eBay if some one can tell me what they mite be worth
But if all this becomes to hard back in the attic it goes so to speak for my kids to have and sort out

Please PM if you know anything about this set.

Thanks for the advice so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSCF4258.JPG)
115.4 KB303 views

Last edited by Dave47tuc; 02-01-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Shep

I've got some advice for how to clean them. I'm a silver girl and this is my fav trick for jewellery but i got it from a how to clean silver cutlery tip.

Line the bottom of your sink with alfoil or use one of those disposable alfoil roast dishes. Then lay all your cutlery in there, cover with HOT HOT water and sprinkle in a bit of washing soda. Leave it for a few minutes then wash off with clean warm water and polish dry with a soft tea towel.

Its heaps easy and you'll be so impressed at how good it cleans with minimal effort!
Old 02-01-2010, 05:10 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

If you can't sell them. Give them a clean and just enjoy using them.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Wavytone

OK they're made by Rodd, they're from the 50's or early 60's and only EPNS (ie electroplated nickel silver)... are of "sentimental value" only.

For example a set on eBay in significantly better condition than yours (they appear replated) - At $100 no bid so far.

Enjoy them if you can be bothered cleaning them. Else Vinnies...