Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-09-2023, 07:24 PM
baj (Brad)

ZWO ASI1600MM PRO Users

Just wanted to check with any ASI1600MM Pro users if the following applies to this camera?

"All Pro cameras (with cooler) need to be connected to an external 11-14v power supply to image.

Even when the cooler is not being used the power supply must be used for the camera to be recognized.
"

This is what is stated on the ZWO website.

Both my QHY cameras still work with just a usb cable plugged in making the power supply optional which is what I prefer.

Regards,
Brad.
Old 18-09-2023, 11:35 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

power supply powers the cooler the usb is for data.

Even the QHY cameras that are cooled require power to cool the camera
Old 19-09-2023, 12:07 AM
baj (Brad)

Yes the QHY camera requires power to cool the camera but you can capture images without connecting the power supply. Usb connection and no power supply still allows image capture.

The ZWO site quote would indicate that a pro camera connected with just a usb cable and no power supply can not capture any image data at all. You have to have both connected in order to capture images. Usb alone is insufficient.

Given that the ASI1600MM Pro is discontinued and older I am wondering whether it is not able to capture images unless both the usb cable and power supply are connected or if it can capture images with just the usb cable connected?

Last edited by baj; 19-09-2023 at 12:45 AM.
Old 19-09-2023, 07:48 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

my 294 can only the latest cameras like the 2600 upwards need power same for the qhy equivalent
Old 19-09-2023, 08:44 AM
VPAstro (Andrew and Cam)

Yep, my 1600mm can image without power, just can't use the cooler or USB hub. I have even connected it to my Samsung phone using ASICap and can capture images.
Old 19-09-2023, 12:31 PM
baj (Brad)

Thanks Andrew and Nik

It sounds like newer model cameras for both QHY and ZWO are going the same way. Usb and power supply must both be connected.

My qhy183MM is 5 years old. Similar vintage to the ASI1600MM Pro
Old 19-09-2023, 01:21 PM
ReidG

My ASI2600 data sheet insists that it must have USB and power connected but it certainly works without the power being connected.
Power is needed for cooling of course but apparently not otherwise. I do use it at times without cooling and have found no unexpected problems.

Correction: The ZWO does require power. my Eagle was switching power on automatically but not cooling.

Last edited by ReidG; 21-09-2023 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Correction to power usage
Old 19-09-2023, 08:32 PM
baj (Brad)

I am not surprised that your ASI26000 can collect images with just the usb cable plugged in. The ZWO documentation and there online replies to questions can be confusing and probably wrong on occasion. Same goes for QHY documentation
Old 20-09-2023, 12:30 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

My 1600MM-c (non Pro) images fine without the power connected - it just can't cool the CMOS.

I connect all my ZWO cameras via 2 meter cables to a quality powered hub on my pier - then use a quality 3m USB3 cable to connect the Hub to my PC.
Old 20-09-2023, 08:10 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I will throw in the opposite result with the ASI2600 (Mono and OSC, I have both)

They will connect to the PC without power plugged in, but they throw an error if I try to take a shot.