Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-01-2024, 02:37 PM
JA

Eclipses Worldwide

Hi Folks,

For your reading and potentially travel pleasure, here is a clever interactive graphic showing the trajectory of upcoming Solar & Lunar eclipses over the next 10 years worldwide......

Move your mouse over the trajectory or itemized list &/or click for more detail.

Best
JA
Old 03-03-2024, 08:11 PM
BlurredClarity (Manesh)

Thanks a lot mate. Been fascinated with one day catching one.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:00 AM
leon

Thanks for that JA, most interesting, hopefully one day i might actually image the event.

Leon
Old 04-03-2024, 09:07 AM
rdahni (Robert)

For the forecast and observed cloud cover (closer to the eclipse event), check out eclipseweather.info (or occuweather.info).
Old 04-03-2024, 03:06 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

Handy little site that, my sincere thanks for the heads-up!
Old 08-04-2024, 10:21 PM
Inmykombi (Geoff)
They aint just doubles :o

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
Old 09-04-2024, 12:47 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

Three lunar eclipses within the next couple of years. It will be cloudy here.
The last partial or full eclipse sometime last year (or earlier this year, I don't remember) it was full cloud coverage until the event was over and within minutes of the end the sky was the clearest it had been in months, bloody typical.
Old 10-04-2024, 10:29 AM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
Three lunar eclipses within the next couple of years. It will be cloudy here.
The last partial or full eclipse sometime last year (or earlier this year, I don't remember) it was full cloud coverage until the event was over and within minutes of the end the sky was the clearest it had been in months, bloody typical.
Hi Leo,
I hear your pain, however, to quote Christopher Pyne from an interview with Lisa Wilkinson where he was referring to switching sides during Liberal leadership struggles, "You have to be nimble!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=r1xqAor8MGA

I was in Canberra for that eclipse, I assume you're referring to the Nov 2022 eclipse. I noticed that the city was going to be covered in cloud for the entire event but it was going to be clear a short distance north (40km). So a friend and I went up to Lake George and we had no cloud for the whole evening while Canberra was almost completely clouded out.

I had carefully worked out a time lapse, focal lengths etc then left my second DSLR at home

I helped Felicity set up to take a wide angle time lapse which I later processed for her while I shot close ups. Felicity didn't have an intervalometer so all those exposures were captured by her just referring to the time on her iPhone then using a time delay release. Pretty good.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (6. TLE20221108-JC-4153.jpg)
76.1 KB6 views
Click for full-size image (1. TLE2022-135mm-8322 copy.jpg)
192.7 KB6 views
Click for full-size image (3. Lake George Eclipse-2000px.jpg)
91.2 KB8 views
Old 10-04-2024, 06:57 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

Possibly November 22 Joe I lose track of time. It's a common side effect of not working for way too many years and days having no significance or time being remotely relative to anything I do.
Canberra to Young used to be 45 minutes in my 351 XD Fairmont when I lived in Young but now there's more cops than private cars on the road and I've slowed down significantly.

My son and I did once carry around 60Kg of gear up to a local lookout in Lithgow for a total eclipse, a lookout where car access had been blocked . The clouds rolled in, around our heads and it was a dash back to the car with the 152mm Skywatcher refractor, 80mm Megrez, battery pack and EQ5 PRO mount (plus gas stove for coffee and pot, can't forget the important stuff). I made it home in time to set up very roughly and finish photographing the event from my back yard, it was a wild dash down a dirt road on the side of a mountain.
I well remember because it wasn't long after I'd had a heart attack and my son had to run back to the car to get my medication when I near collapsed with chest pain half way up the hill.
One day I'm going to build an electric powered box with wheels suitable for bush tracks, one I can sit on and ride. I think I already designed it on paper,. old school and it's probably long ended up in the trash.

I've travelled to photograph events and forgotten my lens or film or..... It's easy to do, now I make a list and check it twice. I have a waistline which dictates it's permissible.