Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2006, 12:54 PM
garylea

A few months in...

Last year, just before the Mars opposition, I decided to purchase a telescope to get a look-see. It had been nearly 20 years since I last was in the market and, wow, have things changed?! However, I still have a weakness for refractors and went for a good basic AOE102 on an EQ5.

Since then, things have gone well. I have started finding my way around the Southern sky (yes, another ****** Pom having to adjust), made easier by using Orion (albeit initially registering as upside-down to me) as my initial orientation point.

My six year old son has also started to join in. The first time he saw Saturn (about two months ago), he stared up at me with little round eyes, whispering "I've seen a gas giant" in awed tones. Since then, he has also seen Jupiter and the four Galilean moons.

Next, I am planning to motorise my mount and get the necessary T-rings, etc. for basic astrophotography. My wife is a good terrestrial photographer and has a spare Olympus SLR which she would like to use. This is turning into a full-fledged family hobby...
Old 03-03-2006, 12:59 PM
h0ughy (David)

well done, what a nice family activity. wished my wife supported it!!!! My kids can take it or leave it, the wife refers to the MAD people when I attend a NAS meeting every month.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:08 PM
garylea

A few months in...

Hi Houghy,

Many thanks. Well the family hobby cuts two ways: the downside is less scope time. Perhaps I can persuade 'Er Indoors of the need for a couple more? <cue evil cackle, rubbing of hands>
Old 03-03-2006, 02:28 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

that aoe 102mm is a good deal i think
been considering it for myself as a grab n' go.

glad to hear you are enjoying yourself
and welcome aboard.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:22 PM
matt
6000 post club member

Hello and welcome.

Good to have another Canberran on board.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:09 PM
garylea

Thanks matt, Thanks ving,

I am really impressed with the help available from iceinspace, too. A friendly place and a useful resource all rolled into one.

Clear skies to all.

Gary
Old 04-03-2006, 04:19 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

G,day gary and welcome to the forum

My family is quite happy with my hobby and my 6 year old daughter is starting to show an interest. BTW I love refractors too
Old 05-03-2006, 12:33 AM
garylea

Many thanks Micko,

Had a pretty good views of Saturn and Jupiter this evening but just have to call it quits now - hiking up in Kozzie National Park has made me very tired. The boy saw Saturn but missed Jupiter ... ah well, another month and the times will be easier for him to manage!!
Old 08-03-2006, 05:05 PM
chunkylad (David)
Open up. it's me, Dave...

HI Gary, and welcome.

Glad to hear that your family is getting involved too. There's not enough of that happening these days. My boys, all four of 'em, enjoy some time at the eyepiece; although, as you mention, the little fellows miss out on late rising objects.

We may have a bright comet coming in May, Comet 73P/ Schwassmann-Wachmann 3,if the predictions are correct - a bit of a lottery there, I'm afraid. http://www.yp-connect.net/~mmatti/
So the young ones may be able to manage an early rise to catch it in the morning sky.
Cheers
Old 08-03-2006, 06:48 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Astro-holic

Welcome to the crazy gang mate,

good to hear we have another refractor nut in the house. I love my two refractors and if I had my way, the money and the space I'd have nice big 250mm piece of Apo glass hanging on the end of a bazzuka tube if I could

As for the SLR, just source an adaptor ring, and shoot directly. I use both my refractors still my old faithful SLR's

Tony