Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-09-2006, 09:20 PM
74tuc

Hi Henri,
Go for a nice dob of 8 to 10". The Meade (GS Optics) truss dob looks very nice. I hear that Andrews will be importing the GS truss dobs when the Meade agreement with GS runs out so if you wait you may get a terrific deal - that's what I'm waiting for!!

Clear Skies,

Jerry.
Old 27-09-2006, 11:55 PM
HAL2001
A Space Odyssey

Hi Jerry,
Sounds like a good idea,though I'm not sure where to look for it right now.

b.t.w. Does anybody know if there are any disadvantages in using a truss dob, apart from regular colimation.

Regards
Henri
Old 28-09-2006, 12:17 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo
Hi Henri
I suppose that almost everyone will show their human nature and try to make you lean towards what they have - if for no other reason than to backup their own belief in their own purchasing decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL2001
You are absolutely right about everybody pushing their favorite scope but it is also the best way to hear the different opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK
As you have found, everyone has their favourites, and this is similar with other hobbies
I did not mention a Dob once! Read below and check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself
Hi Henri,

Dollar-wise you should be able to get a much large diameter SCT/Mak than a Refractor.

Length-wise (for transport etc) you will get a much shorter scope with an SCT/Mak than a Refractor.

Colour Defraction-wise I will leave to the experts, but I think you would need to purchase an Apo or Semi-Apo Refractor ($$$) to match the SCT/Mak.
Old 28-09-2006, 12:21 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Henri, I do not own a Truss Dob, but 1 disadvantage I can think of is dust and muck getting on the mirror easily, but I haven't heard any truss owners complain of this yet, so it might not be too big a problem.
Old 28-09-2006, 07:54 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
My wife wants to explore the moon and planets whereas I want to observe the stars as well without going into photography.
We're kind of in the same boat here - except for the photography. I'm glad we have GOTO though, as my wife would otherwise be bored stiff trying to find what she was looking for - and giving up. She loves looking through the catalogue and punching in her destination. She gets the wow factor without getting frustrated. The GOTO is basically keeping her interested in something that I am - and that's paramount.

A truss dob wouldn't make that easy for her......

...just a thought....

Last edited by Omaroo; 28-09-2006 at 08:33 AM.
Old 28-09-2006, 10:42 AM
HAL2001
A Space Odyssey

Thanks guys,

Raeding all this good advise is slowly shaping an idea of where I might be going - YES, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Chris,
My wife is very happy with the comments about how your wife gets maximum enjoyment out of stargazing.

Regards
Henri
Old 28-09-2006, 09:29 PM
74tuc

Hi Henri,

I do not own a dob but I am considering buying a dob because they are so easy to use and so simple. The truss dob appeals to me because it can be easily dismantled and "carted around". Yes I imagine dust could be a problem with the mirror open and near to the ground. The mirror may need cleaning from time to time - the joys of owning a telescope .

You mentioned collimation - all 'scopes require collimation it is just that some hold their collimation better than others. Fast newtonian 'scopes need to be checked on a regular basis. Refractors are most robust in this regard and SCT's seem to hold their collimation very well.

Setting-up in this game can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be, it is just that mistakes can get expensive. Once you buy the 'scope you may need (want ?) to buy some eyepieces then some filters perhaps a barlow lens ...

Good luck and please tell us about your experiences in using the new 'scope.

Clear skies,

Jerry.

PS.
When you get a new 'scope the weather clouds over for at least 3 to 4 days .

JRW.
Old 28-09-2006, 10:50 PM
HAL2001
A Space Odyssey

Hi Jerry,

I figure that we will probably end up with a Dob sooner or later to complement whatever it is we get. It will also make it easier to have both of us viewing something at the same time

Yep, we will let you know when we have made up our mind and purchased something.

Regards
Henri