Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 25-04-2013, 09:40 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

I am now heading for Tennant Creek, as I think there will be a better chance of clear weather.
Anyone from SEQ who wants to go and share costs, can PM me.
Cheers
Old 25-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Stephen P

Annular Eclipse from Tennant Creek

Hello to all those going to Tennant Creek from Alice Springs for the Annular Solar Eclipse.

I will be in Alice Springs the week before the event, and heading up a few days before, so if anyone is interested in a meet and greet prior to departure please PM me.

I will be staying at a mates rural property in Alice, so if you want to get your equipment sorted etc before you leave for Tennant let me know. If there are a few people interested we can set a date.

Regards,
Stephen.
Old 26-04-2013, 06:06 PM
cyclone

oh dear.... we have a 'possible cyclone/low crossing up north and possible rain shower conditions for WA in a couple weeks !
Old 27-04-2013, 12:57 AM
Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
oh dear.... we have a 'possible cyclone/low crossing up north and possible rain shower conditions for WA in a couple weeks !
yes, saw that on the news. Saying a high probability of a cyclone for Monday.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:59 AM
cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
yes, saw that on the news. Saying a high probability of a cyclone for Monday.
Currently Cat 2 might go to Cat 3

http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDQ65001.gif
Old 01-05-2013, 01:45 PM
BrettK

I'll still be in FNQ

The cyclone will be long gone by this time next week.

The latest modelling shows humidity dropping rapidly for this time of the year.

So I'll be at the Hann River Roadhouse if anybody is looking for me.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:51 PM
cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettK View Post
The cyclone will be long gone by this time next week.

The latest modelling shows humidity dropping rapidly for this time of the year.

So I'll be at the Hann River Roadhouse if anybody is looking for me.
might try and do the same.....
Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Aussiearcher (Greg)

Photography at the northern fringe

Hi All

1st post. I live in Charters Towers NQ, and am not an astronomer by any stretch of the imagination, but do enjoy the celestial shows nature puts on - got some nice pics of the total lunar eclipse, Venus transit, viewed the absolutely awesome TSE in Cairns with some of my family, and planned to go to FNQ for this annular.

Have to say the richness of info shared here was of critical assistance.

However, I now need to drive my brother from Darwin to CT, and can't depart earlier than 1:00p Thursday 9 May, but this does present another opportunity to see the eclipse.

The concentricity of the centreline view appeals to me, but I can't see us making the distance that night.

Therefore, I took Joe's suggestion and had a look at Dan Fisher's talk about being at the fringe.

We plan on overnighting at Renner's Springs, which is approx 32 klm sth of the northern limit.

Questions:
will the difference in view/photography options be worth backtracking 25klm or so to get closer to the edge? (how close is best?)

what are suggested settings to also try and photograph Bailey's Beads? Should I expose as per BB during the TSE and hope the sun doesn't blow the whole shot, or will i need to occlude part of the lens (sun) with OD5 solar film? (fully aware of the eyesight preservation issues involved with this) Will probably use Eclipse Orchestra again.

Will be using 5D2 with 24-70 for enviro shots and 40D with 70-200 & 2x teleconverter for closer shots (or 100-400 if i can borrow it)

Regards
Greg
Old 03-05-2013, 07:16 AM
Aussiearcher (Greg)

Roads in Cape York

For BrettK and Cyclone heading north, Katrin from Cape York News has just sent the following advice, after talking with residents in the area who observe the conditions first hand:

"Ok people,

Jump in and off you go! The road is open all the way to the Tip however the Old Telegraph Track is boggy at this stage, and keep an eye on Archer River.

=================================== =============

In This Issue
:

• Post Zane Road Report

• Feedback Always Welcome

=================================== =============

POST ZANE ROAD REPORT

The main road north - Peninsula Developmental Road - is open all the way north.

The southern parts are dry, some had no rain at all, some had a little.

Down in Cooktown end, Bloomfield Road is open but slippery, CREB Track is closed, and Battle Camp Road is closed (more exactly - the part that goes through Lakefield National Park is - national parks are closed until June so no going to Lakefield this month yet).

Burke Developmental Road is open and in a good condition all the way to Normanton.

Back to the main road north..

Laura River is usually the one to go up after heavy rains, the river waters are down so all good (it's sealed until Laura now).

Musgrave had no rain, all dry and good.

Archer River Roadhouse and Bramwell Junction had some rain but the road is open.

It's around Archer River and Bramwell as the things are a little wet, and Archer River could stuff it if it went up.

So far though, the river is good and while it's a bit rainy, there are no predictions of major rains.

Two side roads: Weipa is fine as it most often is, and Weipa end is sealed.

And so what did finally happen to Lockhart River? I did not get anybody on the phone but my guess is the road is fine.

Back to the main road north..

Bypass Roads are open.

The Old Telegraph Track is very boggy by the sounds of it (if you are there and know more I am keen to hear about it!).

Jardine River ferry is working and people are getting across.

The road is open all the way to Punsand Bay, which is near the Tip of Cape York, so it cannot get better, it's all open!

That said, there may be more rain coming, however likely nothing major so Cape York is open for you :-)

That's all this time, if you are sitting in Cairns and waiting, you are fine to go!

FEEDBACK ALWAYS WELCOME

I really appreciate any kind of feedback on the destination guide.

Please let me know if you enjoyed it while planning before the trip, and while using the information once on the trip.

If you get any questions about anything, please feel welcome to contact me.

That's all for this time - happy planning, and, till the next newsletter if I don't hear from you.

Have a great day :-)

Katrin

P. S. If you cannot see the photo banner in the top of this page, and instead of links you see url adresses throughout the text, you are using email software that only reads text. Consider getting an email account with Yahoo or others that can read HTML (and remember to change your email address, which can be done in the end of every newsletter.

You are subscribed to Cape York News.

The back issues are at the following URL...
http://www.cape-york-australia.com/C...ackissues.html "

Greg
Old 03-05-2013, 08:57 AM
shahgazer (Shah)
I Need Clear Sky!

Hi Guys,

I'll be flying down from Kuala Lumpur to Perth, and driving up to Newman for the eclipse. South of Newman, seems to be be a no-man's land (according to Google Map).

Any idea exact spot I should go? Or should I remain at Newman throughout the eclipse?

Thanks

Regards
-Shah-
Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Paul_Cox (Paul)

If you're imaging this eclipse, please see my post here - I'm looking for people to provide live image feeds for our coverage of the eclipse!

Paul
Old 03-05-2013, 02:39 PM
cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Cox View Post
If you're imaging this eclipse, please see my post here - I'm looking for people to provide live image feeds for our coverage of the eclipse!

Paul
looks like i will be out of internet coverage, and the only for of communication is HF radio.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:24 PM
BrettK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiearcher View Post
Hi All

1st post. I live in Charters Towers NQ, and am not an astronomer by any stretch of the imagination, but do enjoy the celestial shows nature puts on - got some nice pics of the total lunar eclipse, Venus transit, viewed the absolutely awesome TSE in Cairns with some of my family, and planned to go to FNQ for this annular.

Have to say the richness of info shared here was of critical assistance.

However, I now need to drive my brother from Darwin to CT, and can't depart earlier than 1:00p Thursday 9 May, but this does present another opportunity to see the eclipse.

The concentricity of the centreline view appeals to me, but I can't see us making the distance that night.

Therefore, I took Joe's suggestion and had a look at Dan Fisher's talk about being at the fringe.

We plan on overnighting at Renner's Springs, which is approx 32 klm sth of the northern limit.

Questions:
will the difference in view/photography options be worth backtracking 25klm or so to get closer to the edge? (how close is best?)

what are suggested settings to also try and photograph Bailey's Beads? Should I expose as per BB during the TSE and hope the sun doesn't blow the whole shot, or will i need to occlude part of the lens (sun) with OD5 solar film? (fully aware of the eyesight preservation issues involved with this) Will probably use Eclipse Orchestra again.

Will be using 5D2 with 24-70 for enviro shots and 40D with 70-200 & 2x teleconverter for closer shots (or 100-400 if i can borrow it)

Regards
Greg
30 kms is a long way from the limit. The things that are special about observing from close to the limit are best when you are only a few kms inside. In my experience. So it's up to you if you want to back track - I wouldn't.

Bailey Beads are best photographed with 500 - 1000mm, At least the best shots I ever got were at 1000mm. That said I have got them well with 400mm too.

I am still coming to grips with digital - yes I know. So far my best advice would be to try and expose for the BBs then under expose by three stops - and then bracket your shots with 3 stops either way. This has worked okayish with my camera. It's tricky though.

I am actually taking an OM1 with 1000mm and film - 'cause that's all I've got with that much telephoto reach. Just hope the shutter still fires !!!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:25 PM
cyclone

skippysky 120hr forecast 00z is out tomorrow, is it accurate ?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:41 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Cyclone,

Andrew Cool of Skippy Skydoesn't do weather predictions, Skippy Sky is one of the best graphical representations of the GFS model going but as far as I know, Skippy Sky doesn't do the forecasting or interpret the model.

FNQ has lots of local weather that the GFS model will struggle with.

I am currently camping in a remote location out west of the Great Northern highway. Nearest towns are Newman 300km north and Meekatharra 200km sth yet (insanely) we have internet. There is a mine about 40km away.

Other IIS members eclipse chasers are arriving. Colin Legg is scouting another location NW of me, just missed each other today. Geoff Sims arrives tomorrow Terry Cuttle, Jay Anderson (eclipse weather expert) and Xavier will be getting here soon. People in Newman seem unaware of the eclipse, yet to meet a local who knows about it. Being near sunrise they'll hardly notice.

Will be taking some test shots & measurements in the morning then heading up to Karijini NP for 4 days.

Joe

Last edited by OzEclipse; 04-05-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:21 PM
H31l0 (Michael)

Getting close now!!!

Am not looking forward to the 600km drive from alice springs to tennant creek. I'm worried I'll get too tired. Is anyone here also doing this drive? If so, have you found/planned interesting stop offs? (Bar Devil's Marbles)?
Old 05-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Willoughby (Willoughby)
Eclipse n00b

We are instead now heading for Tennant Creek, departing early Wednesday morning and will aim to be at Devil's Marbles by sunset Wednesday. Thursday will be our 'scout out' day for the eclipse.

We would have loved to go to Newman, but this had proved WAY too expensive for us flying Air North to Port Hedland.

Accomodation now seems to be booked out in Tennant for the 9th.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:50 PM
H31l0 (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willoughby View Post
We are instead now heading for Tennant Creek, departing early Wednesday morning and will aim to be at Devil's Marbles by sunset Wednesday. Thursday will be our 'scout out' day for the eclipse.

We would have loved to go to Newman, but this had proved WAY too expensive for us flying Air North to Port Hedland.

Accomodation now seems to be booked out in Tennant for the 9th.
My friend and I booked at the Youth hostel, but it
Sounded quite dodgy because he didnt give me any reference number
Or take any details. I hope I'm not left without accommodation.

Do you think that it would take that long, Wednesday morning to sunset to get to devils marbles or are you planning big stop offs? And if so, what? I'll be driving up Thursday from alice starting around 9:30, hoping to get to tennant creek by sunset... Hope I'm not pushing it?

Edit: just realised my ignorance - Willougby, you're not driving from Alice Springs are you? Just because I am for some reason I assumed you were lol. Where you coming from?
Old 06-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Willoughby (Willoughby)
Eclipse n00b

Perhaps give them another call? There seems to be one private room left here: http://www.hostelbookers.com/propert...9/ngt/1/ppl/1/

We plan to leave Darwin at 4am, 1088 km to Devil's Marbles. Should be doable with early morning tea and a swim at beautiful Bitter Springs, Mataranka then lunch at Daly Waters Pub. Two drivers. You should be okay, just get some good sleep!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:22 AM
H31l0 (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willoughby View Post
Perhaps give them another call? There seems to be one private room left here: http://www.hostelbookers.com/propert...9/ngt/1/ppl/1/

We plan to leave Darwin at 4am, 1088 km to Devil's Marbles. Should be doable with early morning tea and a swim at beautiful Bitter Springs, Mataranka then lunch at Daly Waters Pub. Two drivers. You should be okay, just get some good sleep!
Ah yes Darwin is quite far away! Good luck with the drive within one day! I called up the guy afew days ago to confirm, it's quite hard to understand him because the line was bad and he had a very thick Irish accent, but he said the booking was there (despite the fact that he didnt look in the system).. I haven't even given any payment details... What's the bet we'll be left without accommodation? :p