Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-04-2017, 08:19 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Generic Instrument Mounting Plate?

I intend to mount a FIT-PC, Mount Hub Pro, and an Optec Geminin Hub on top of my TEC180. Sure, I could build a plate from a piece of aluminium but I doubt it would look too swift. The rings holding the TEC to the dovetail plate have holes on the top that would nicely secure the plate. I've searched in vain for something already made up that I could adapt. Is there a source somewhere?

Thanks!

Peter
Old 21-04-2017, 10:57 PM
JA

Hi Peter,

A pic of "I want to put this stuff here", would help; however, with what i can envisage of what you have planned I don't see a hand fashioned flat aluminium plate a few hundred mm long mounted to a couple of screw holes being that much of a concern in the beauty stakes, especially if painted out in black. I'd be more concerned with the neatness of the mounted units and associated wiring. Put some pics up with approx dimensions and/or your preferred orientation and layout would help.

Best
JA
Old 22-04-2017, 08:23 AM
PRejto (Peter)

I'd put up a picture but not all the new gear has arrived!

I'm starting to think that I may not want to put everything on a plate fastened to the top of the rings. In such a situation opening the rings to move or remove the scope would require numerous wires to be unplugged. Rather, I'm now thinking of putting two plates on either side of the scope at a right angle to the MEII versaplate to hold the gear. The versaplate is wide enough to do this. Balance might be slightly trickier but I like the idea that once the wiring is in place it need not be disturbed.
Old 22-04-2017, 09:31 AM
rally

Peter,

Option 1
Use a standard dovetail and mount it to the rings - keep all the cables coming in and out on the hinge side of the rings so they just swing and then you wont need to move them
Option 2
Get 21" long Dovetail plate and mount all the gear at the back end of the plate (camera end) Put scope on riser blocks if there isnt quite enough space and mount all the other stuff under the scope - it wil look neater anyway.

Use a Fit-PC Vesa Mounting plate so you can do a quick twist and detach when needed, Amazon used to have them if Compulabs dont.
I possibly have a spare somewhere (suited the PC/PC2 versions) - but finding it could be easier said than done !

Cheers
Rally
Old 24-04-2017, 09:34 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Hi Rally,

Thanks for the tips. I do like option #2. I shall investigate. Also appreciate the Fit-PC mounting suggestion. I will look for that part. If you find yours and want to part with it let me know.

Thanks,

Peter