Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-04-2024, 05:22 PM
Saturn488

Lunt Solar Pressure Tuner Controller, another option?

For those who own a pressure tuned Lunt telescope!

I have been looking at the controller contraption for a while with no intention on purchasing it due the high cost (can buy a new scope!).

However, I feel us in Australia are on our own when it comes to maintenance of these solar scopes. If at any point my Lunt needs to be serviced I will need to send it to the US, pay for the service and pay the return shipping would cost an arm and leg. Similar with the Daystar Quark. A service runs $250 USD then add around $150 each way for post (you want a reliable and good post service as the equipment is expensive) so all up its $550 USD or $850 AUD.

In terms of maintenance, has anyone ever needed to get their scope's pressure re-tuned/checked? If so, how did you do it?

If on the off chance that someone does own the controller would they be willing to offer a tune at a cost?
Old 26-04-2024, 09:14 AM
Stefan Buda

You can always try the Astrograph Doctor right here in Melbourne.
https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...d.php?t=209764

If I can't fix it at least I can diagnoze the problem and it won't cost too much.
Once you know what the problem is, perhaps, you can order a replacement part that will fix it.
Old 26-04-2024, 08:19 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

The pressure tuning system is not complicated. Air density is used to change the refractive index of the etalon chamber.

I suspect all that is needed is you completely screw off the tuning knob/chamber. Replace the O-ring and apply a smidge of silicone grease on the new ring. Re-install the knob. Should work like new.
Old 26-04-2024, 09:07 PM
anthony2302749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
The pressure tuning system is not complicated. Air density is used to change the refractive index of the etalon chamber.

I suspect all that is needed is you completely screw off the tuning knob/chamber. Replace the O-ring and apply a smidge of silicone grease on the new ring. Re-install the knob. Should work like new.
It’s what we did at Bintel Melbourne back in the day. I remember doing one or two. Thought I should add if you are not comfortable then see Stefan
Old 30-04-2024, 08:26 AM
Saturn488

Thanks for the replies.

I have been trying to get in touch with Lunt since January but I have had no response to get some spare parts.
Old 30-04-2024, 09:33 AM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

I sold my 102Tha DS a number of years back and did this video for the chap explaining how to look after it. Everything you need to know in here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XTv...nnel=astrojunk