Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-03-2012, 11:37 PM
EPLS

LX200GPS info required

Hi all. After many years away from astronomy have decided its time to jump back in. HAve been looking at Meades and have found a used LX200GPS 10in for sale that looks in good condition but am wondering how do you tell how old it is? The person selling it is the second owner and had no idea. Two things I did notice was the software was win98 version and the eye rubbers on the eye piece and the viewing scope were spit otherwise no marks and all seems to work ok.
Any ideas what a scope like this would be worth today?
thanks
Old 25-03-2012, 05:56 AM
Barrykgerdes

Hi
The LX200GPS is a nice scope and easy to use for beginners The inbuilt computerised goto works well but it will need the latest firmware revision installed.

These telescopes have been around for 10 years and your description makes it look to be quite an early release. It's value would be around $2000. I don't understand the reference to Windows 98 as the optional computer interface is platform independent, except that it makes the telescope look like one of the early releases.

Many of these early LX200's had problems with very poor goto accuracy due to poor mechanical assembly, orthogonality, that needs to be corrected.

Before you buy I would suggest you get someone to check it over for you.

Barry
Old 25-03-2012, 07:28 AM
mozzie (Peter)

what's your location ????? there are many meade owners !!one may live near you and help you set it up and download latest firmware...
Old 25-03-2012, 12:43 PM
EPLS

I did suspect this was an early version and the software had never been upgraded. I've done some research on the Net and discovered problems with drives and electronics. I'm good with the mechanical side and would be able to upgrade the firmware but by the sounds of it the seller is asking about $1000 too much. He did say it has seen little use but I maybe better off chasing up a later model
Thanks for your input guys