Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-03-2024, 09:55 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

Unofficial star party Apr 6th 2024 Canberra region

Hi all,

The title says it all. If the weather is favourable, I am planning to spend the night of Saturday 6th of April at the old Orroral Valley tracking station just south of Canberra. It will be just a couple of days short of the next new moon, so as long as there is no cloud, the conditions should be good. It's an amazing Bortle 2 site with wide open skies that I've been to several times over the last few years.

This is the Google Maps link to the site: https://maps.app.goo.gl/FDbSHkc9xdqpB1WX8

If anyone is interested, I would love to have some company for an unofficial star party. Even if no one is interested, I'll be there on my own (as long as the night is clear). From all my lurking on the Ice in Space forums, I know that there are some great astrophotographers within a few hours of that location including Canberra, adjacent South Coast and inland regions. It would be great to meet in person those that I've only met online. Please let me know if you are interested.

Cheers, Kevin
Old 22-03-2024, 10:12 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for the open offer but I’ll be down at my South coast Dome in April
Haven’t used it much in the past 6 months and looking forward to some clear stable moonless nights under Bortle 3 skies
Enjoy your night at that dark site, hopefully with other IIS members
Maybe some other fellow south coasters may be interested ??

Cheers
Martin
Old 23-03-2024, 02:48 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Looks good but sadly other (daytime) commitments on the first Sat/Sun of every month rules out travelling on those weekends. Looks like a good location. Maybe I can join you there on another occasion.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 27-03-2024, 09:29 AM
RobK (Rob)

great idea.
I had not given this spot any thought even though it is only 30 minutes away.
Barring any other reason other than clouds I should be able to make it.
I will PM you after the weekend to confirm.

cheers Rob
Old 28-03-2024, 02:13 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Unfortunately this clashes with the Canberra Astro Society Dark Sky Night at Michelago on the same evening……
Old 29-03-2024, 05:04 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

One week out and the current forecast for Apr 6th is 100% cloud with the chance of rain. For those that have responded (or those still thinking about it), it's not looking good. I'll wait to see if anything changes closer to the day.

Kevin
Old 02-04-2024, 10:51 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

Unfortunately, it's a definite no-go for this Saturday with rain and cloud. Maybe some other new moon...
Old 03-04-2024, 08:11 AM
LonelySpoon (Neville)

Hi Kevin,
My one weekend a month with a commitment on the Sunday back home.

Keep letting us know though as I'd likely make the trip, even though out at Yass. My 80mm Mak hasn't had an outing for a while!

Neville
LSO
Old 04-04-2024, 12:39 PM
RobK (Rob)

Cool

hi Kevin,
I havent had an opportunity to image for some time and was looking forward to saturday. seems whenever something is planned the weather decides to be un co-operative.
Let us know of any future evenings.

cheers
Rob
Old 04-04-2024, 09:33 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobK View Post
hi Kevin,
I havent had an opportunity to image for some time and was looking forward to saturday. seems whenever something is planned the weather decides to be un co-operative.
Let us know of any future evenings.

cheers
Rob

Astronomy and bad weather so often go hand in hand! I'll certainly plan another session. All together I had about 5 positive responses. Although the Saturday of each new moon seems to conflict with Canberra Astronomical Society dark sky nights, there seems to be enough interest to make for a good night. Stay tuned.

Kevin
Old 04-04-2024, 09:51 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosborn View Post
Astronomy and bad weather so often go hand in hand! I'll certainly plan another session. All together I had about 5 positive responses. Although the Saturday of each new moon seems to conflict with Canberra Astronomical Society dark sky nights, there seems to be enough interest to make for a good night. Stay tuned.

Kevin
Sounds good Kevin. As I say above, generally any weekend except the first one each month I'm fine to make the trip over from the coast for a get together. I'll watch out for something in the future - hopefully without the weather!

Cheers,
Mark