Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-11-2023, 10:55 AM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

Red filters in lunar photography?

Have seen a few lunar pictures citing the advantage in using some kind of red filter. Could anyone direct me to the type of filter, local supplier and comment on if they work as suggested. Regards philip
Old 25-11-2023, 11:39 AM
Dave882 (David)

I’ve also seen a few images using red filter too. Obviously the advantage is that the further light is towards the RED end of the spectrum the less it is affected by atmospheric turbulence/seeing. Even in good seeing this is an advantage, plus used in conjunction with a mono camera you can get faster frame rates and more signal. BUT- why not just use the IRpass filter like a 642 or 685 (my preference)? This will give even crisper results, and since the moon doesn’t rotate like the planets you are not restricted to a certain capture time - so just go longer to compensate for the slightly less signal you get from a narrower band pass.

But to answer your question specifically, I’d assume they are using a CCD Red (or similar) deep sky imaging filter as opposed to a Red planetary filter as they would be better quality I’d think, but not too sure as I’ve never done it myself.