Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2020, 12:14 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by assbutt94 View Post
Ive been waiting for a zwo camera and accessories ordered locally mid may. it was on backorder.
Yet if you ordered direct from zwo you would have received it in less than 2 weeks
Old 15-07-2020, 04:54 PM
DarwinAstro (Chris)

Sorry if I was not clear. At the time of my order from Hong Kong, Australia post was not accepting shipments from Hong Kong. Auspost was never in a lockdown. Just certain restrictions from some countries at the time. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 15-07-2020, 05:21 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Yet if you ordered direct from zwo you would have received it in less than 2 weeks
Well that depends, I am waiting on a ZWO cam myself via a local retailer, which has been showing as on backorder, available "Around July" on the ZWO website since before I ordered it. Though if mine is not delivered from the current batch I will probably cancel the order and look at other options even if they cost more.
Old 15-07-2020, 05:45 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

My AliExpress order from a 2 months back - sent from Singapore oddly - has vaporised.
Old 15-07-2020, 06:33 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
My AliExpress order from a 2 months back - sent from Singapore oddly - has vaporised.
Seems like mine has from the USA.
3 months tomorrow since sent.
Old 15-07-2020, 07:19 PM
gregbradley

I received a reducer from Teleskop Services in less than a week. Impressive.

Greg.
Old 16-07-2020, 12:49 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Also received a package from Teleskop Service (adaptors, and right angled finder scope) - ordered a Sunday night received Monday week better than aus post!
Old 16-07-2020, 12:59 PM
drylander (Peter)

Thumbs down

It seems Aust post works in another dimension and their tracking leaves a lot to be desired.I see some of my order is still in Sydney yet equipment ordered shown as arrived in Sydney 4 weeks earlier is still to move to SA. Do the numbnuts running the show want to completely destroy whats left of Aust Post? Its getting beyond a joke even allowing for the virus. Reducing deliveries is not how you get rid of a backlog of mail.
Pete
(rant mode off)

Last edited by drylander; 16-07-2020 at 01:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 16-07-2020, 08:00 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Received a package from SVBony today, 4 days after I ordered it. And yes, it did come from China, not their local warehouse. And yet my item from Singapore is still lost in space...
Old 17-07-2020, 10:15 AM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

I have had a parcel delivered from Thorlabs in the US to rural NSW in 6 days arriving yesterday. Sent with DHL.
Very fast but also quite expensive.
Old 17-07-2020, 04:33 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

My replacement iPhone is stuck in the HazMat Capital known as Melbourne

Sent "Express Post" 4 days ago...still in Melbourne awaiting nuclear treatment and bio-security checks...
Old 18-07-2020, 01:40 PM
drylander (Peter)

Even according to Aust Post 'express post'is no longer 'express' only the cost.
Pete
Old 18-07-2020, 02:39 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

I don’t know about the eastern states, however I’ve been told that Australia Post isn’t sending anything airmail - they’re shipping via sea mail. My wife posted some letters from our kids to Japan and it took 3 months.

Australia Post can ship quicker via EMS/Express Post which still took 3 weeks for a package to be sent from Perth to Vancouver. 3 weeks is not too bad these days I guess.
Old 18-07-2020, 04:50 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drylander View Post
Even according to Aust Post 'express post'is no longer 'express' only the cost.
Pete

"No longer" would mean it would have had to have been express to begin with.
Old 19-07-2020, 10:42 PM
Buck

I've been watching this topic with interest. Here's the journey so far, of three little star knob bolts ordered for my iOptron mount - not very expensive - all up about $78 including postage.
They were paid for/ordered on 3rd April 2020 from iOptron in the USA. On 11th May, 32 days later, they departed JFK airport in the US. Then 27 days later, they departed Chicago on 7th June. As part of their world tour, they next departed Tokyo, Japan on 18th June. Only 1 day later, on 19th June, they departed Sydney, Aust for Melbourne, and arrived the same day. They didn't like Melbourne and decided to go back to Sydney on 20th June. Too many on-board drinks I guess, because they changed their mind again, and went back to Melbourne for another look on 21st June.

Must have enjoyed Melbourne after all, and stayed until 1st July, where they were "processed" at a "facility" in Australia. I'm guessing that by this time, these 3 little bolts had come to the attention of Border Security, who would have been naturally suspicious of all the coming and goings, changed flights, various destinations etc.

I can only assume that they are still being interrogated - and you know how stubborn bolts can be - as there has been no further information since 1st July to now.

So far these bolts have been touring the US, Japan and Australia for 107 days. Must be getting short of spending money by now, and may eventually decide to come here to South Australia. But maybe they are too embarrassed, and will never show themselves .... perhaps too ashamed at their total disregard to comply with promised deliverance and salvation.

Buck
Old 20-07-2020, 10:21 AM
jahnpahwa (JP)

FLO gear arrived within a week, on a Sunday. DHL.
Old 21-07-2020, 05:16 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Bought an eyepiece from an IIS member in QLD and according to AusPost tracking it's been at a Sydney facility for 8 days now.

Have been trying to find a good UHC filter on IIS with no luck and was considering buying new but Bintel is out of stock and with all the stories in this thread I don't think I'll risk buying from overseas.
Old 21-07-2020, 08:45 PM
Little Johnny (John)

Not overseas. Ordered two books from Bintel on 12-7-20 pm and got them at the front door Gold Coast 17-7-20 am. Go Bintel and Aust Post. )
Old 22-07-2020, 08:48 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

My latest - a Vixen SXP mount - took 5 days Pack & Send from Townsville to ACT. Not too bad.
Old 22-07-2020, 09:37 PM
nsavage (Nick)

I ordered something from ScopeStuff in the US. Paid for the shipping and later realised they were going to use USPS. Had not had a shipment notification or anything so emailed them to ask if I could upgrade the shipping. Hours after my email I get a tracking notification to say a label had been created to which I responded saying that I had emailed and wanted to upgrade the shipping. I was effectively told "too bad". I guess I wont be seeing that delivery for a few months at best now