Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-02-2015, 12:15 AM
Speccyman

Driving out of DS

Hi - has anyone had to drive out of a dark sky side in the middle of the night. What's the best way to drive out without turnout on headlights?
Old 15-02-2015, 12:31 AM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

I think some people get a bit too precious about this. If you can't see where you're going it's better to turn on your parking lights at least so you don't damage your vehicle. Which is more important? Half an hours worth of dark adaptation or having the sump ripped off your car by a tree stump?
That's why I only observe with friends!
Cheers,
Andrew
Old 15-02-2015, 01:14 AM
sn1987a (Barry)

Yeah!, dark adaption is for pussies
Old 15-02-2015, 09:44 AM
doppler (Rick)

If you have to leave a site early park your car near the exit facing the way out so you don't have to light up the whole area doing u turns etc.

Rick
Old 15-02-2015, 12:06 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

You can always get some one to help guide you aswell & let people know your going out along near them, walk the exit route 'before hand' so your already familiar with obsticals such as lonely telescopes - they can also scatch your Duco, Lol
Yep, Park lights should be exceptable

Last edited by astronobob; 15-02-2015 at 12:07 PM. Reason: added txt
Old 15-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Speccyman

Thanks for all the ideas - I ultimately used parking lights to exit partway then full headlights when i was a couple of hundred meters out as I figured there was enough tree coverage to block out the lights by then.
Old 15-02-2015, 01:02 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

If it is a small group, I just let everyone know I am leaving, so they can do what is required to preserve vision.
Back in November when we had a group at Heathcote, I helped one attendee who arrived after dark to navigate down the track, an extra pair of eyes always helps if you only have park lights on.
If you know you will be packing up at night, getting organised so it is easy to move gear back to the car in the dark while having the car parked well away from others is also important.

Malcolm
Old 15-02-2015, 02:50 PM
Speccyman

It is probably the same Heathcote site which I was trying to drive out from. The reflectors on the side certainly helped. I didn't know any of the other members there and was a bit intimidating to walk up to the various groups so decided to drive out solo.
Old 15-02-2015, 08:14 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

Our club uses a semi dark site at Waterfall, in Southern Sydney. The general rule for first timers is arrive around an hour before sunset as a minimum. Park your car so it points straight at the exit. Tree stumps aren't an issue as it is on an oval. If you're leaving early parking lights to the track then headlights from there are fine.

I'm with others on the whole dark adaption thing. Perhaps I haven't done enough observing to fully get it. Sure red lights at the scope and dim down your laptop if you're using one. Here at home I tend to wander inside and out, particularly Winter, and some times I even leave the garage light on. But then again I'll also do some observing when the moon is about as well.

Main thing is to enjoy your astronomy, after all it's a hobby to be enjoyed.

Wayne
Old 17-02-2015, 10:09 PM
astro_nutt

Years ago I made a set of covers for the brake/tail/number plate lights from cereal box cardboard covered with alfoil. The headlights were partially covered but with a 50mm wide horizontal slit covered with red cellophane. Blu-tac held everything in place. A towel rolled up over the instrument cluster helped too!
Nowadays, if I know I have to leave earlier, I just park offsite and trolley everything!