Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-02-2024, 07:44 PM
John K

Upgrading to Windows 11 advice

Hi guys,

I am ashamed to admit it, but I am still using Windows 8.1 on my AP Laptop and looking for some advice on the quickest and cheapest way to upgrade to Windows 11.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite with 16 GB Ram and a 2.6 GHz 64 bit operating system.

Are low cost offers for a Windows 11 keys such as below valid and will they work?

https://shop.winandoffice.com/austra...waAp2PEALw_wcB

https://softwareg.com.au/products/wi...oaAjfbEALw_wcB

Appreciate any advice!

Clear skies,

John K.
Old 13-02-2024, 08:12 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

I think that Windows 11 requires some pretty restrictive hardware components in your PC and if these are not in your computer it cannot/will not install.

I think that there may be a “Test my PC” Wizard from MS than can check if your PC is compatible.

I suspect it would not be.

Dennis
Old 13-02-2024, 08:53 PM
John K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
I think that Windows 11 requires some pretty restrictive hardware components in your PC and if these are not in your computer it cannot/will not install.

I think that there may be a “Test my PC” Wizard from MS than can check if your PC is compatible.

I suspect it would not be.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis,

I think as my laptop is about 10 years old the TPM part might be the show stopper.

However, I might still be able to get Windows 10 I think and this should keep me going for a few years perhaps.
Old 14-02-2024, 12:44 AM
Drac0 (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
Thanks Dennis,

I think as my laptop is about 10 years old the TPM part might be the show stopper.

However, I might still be able to get Windows 10 I think and this should keep me going for a few years perhaps.
Hi John,

My laptop is about 10 years old too and fails for Windows 11 because of the processor, but Windows 10 isn't a problem. As Dennis says, you can always run the check, but unless your laptop was really top of the line when new it's likely to fail on at least the cpu.

If all you're using it for is acquisition then Windows 10 won't hold you back at all & is certainly an improvement over any version of Windows 8.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 14-02-2024, 10:21 AM
KISSMAD (Bruce)

You can bypass the computer compatibility checks by using Rufus.

It makes a bootable USB drive that installs without the compatibility checks.
Old 14-02-2024, 10:25 AM
leon

Hey John I still use Win 8.1 and love it, whatever works you I reckon.

Leon
Old 14-02-2024, 11:19 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

+1 to below. Check your PC is windows 11 compatible first - I'm guessing that it probably isn't.
Old 14-02-2024, 01:52 PM
sharkbite
Look up!

Hi John...

Echoing what others have said - you can bypass the w11 checks - but you may still be able to activate w10 using your 8.1 key. This is officially unsupported, but seemed to work the last time i had to rebuild due to an SSD crash.
(its worth creating a mirror backup if you want to try risk free)

I wouldn't touch the "cheap" keys....not when a legit w11 from the MS website costs AUD$249 at the moment...something smells waaaay too fishy...

here's some food for thought...

https://www.makeuseof.com/risks-usin...tivation-keys/

Last edited by sharkbite; 14-02-2024 at 02:10 PM.
Old 15-02-2024, 12:14 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISSMAD View Post

That's interesting. So the comparability checks are irrelevant - just a mechanisms to make you upgrade you computer?
Old 15-02-2024, 12:46 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

New Atlas recently had deals which got me Windows 11 pro genuine licenses for around $50AU.
I don't know if there's deals still available through them.

I still run Windows 7 on my primary gear.
Except for an old laptop I occasionally use that has XP for other older purposes (old software and crap).

Quote:
I wouldn't touch the "cheap" keys....not when a legit w11 from the MS website costs AUD$249 at the moment...something smells waaaay too fishy...
It does seem the 2 links provided by the OP seemed ridiculously cheap, I'd be VERY wary of those 2 offerings.

I've gotten deals before that have always been genuine. My son got W10 Pro (or enterprise) for next to nothing through a similar deal a few years back. It's been perfect.
Cheap keys on eBay or internet searches I'd be hesitant but I've been subscribed to New Atlas news articles for some years. The license numbers are all logged on my sons MS account and if they weren't genuine they'd surely let us know immediately.

Last edited by Leo.G; 15-02-2024 at 12:57 PM.
Old 15-02-2024, 01:20 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISSMAD View Post

the workarounds are going to be patched in update 24H2 - so probably not recommended moving forward. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HknnMbK-Ng

also note win10 is ending support next year - unless you pay for extended support.

perhaps consider switching to linux if you intend on using the same hardware longterm (and want support at the OS level).

note that if you're not connecting to the internet - probably no need to change what you've got

Last edited by rustigsmed; 15-02-2024 at 01:44 PM.
Old 16-02-2024, 11:35 AM
Leo.G (Leo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
the workarounds are going to be patched in update 24H2 - so probably not recommended moving forward. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HknnMbK-Ng

note that if you're not connecting to the internet - probably no need to change what you've got

I was sure I'd seen something about that within the last few days but had no idea where so I didn't mention it without a link.
Old 16-02-2024, 08:40 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I’d ask yourself what the objective is?

If it’s software compatibility, then fair enough. But any perceived “advancements” in the OS itself will be negligible in its astro role.
Old 17-02-2024, 12:53 PM
John K

Hey guys,

Thanks for the all the advice.

All has worked out for the time being with Windows 10.

I simply used the Media Creation tool and dowloaded this to a USB stick and went from there.

All my files, background image, short cuts, programs, settings etc were re-einstalled.

Chrome is a bit slow, and I have run the latest version of Glary Utilities to speed up my PC up a bit - any advise on speeding up Chrome appreciated or making sure Kaspersky is not the cause and how to best set this up to get some more speed.

For those that suggested I get a new computer, that would be nice, but afraid not. The Gaming Spec laptop I would like is in the vicinity of $2.5k AUD plus plus, so if I can prolong the life of the current one then this works for me

Clear skies,

John K.