Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-04-2014, 12:13 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -George- View Post
It is ok. I tend to do it as well on other peoples posts because something there was relevant to what I was thinking and rather than start a new thread, since it was mentioned, i get it sorted in the thread I read it in. All good

I saw saturn tonight between the clouds and 5 (might of been 4?) moons. WOW!

It is 'very' small looking compare to the monitor screen, like not even 1 inch in size. More like 5-10mm, but it was nice!
Is there a better starting object for any telescope?

Wait till you show your friends.

Cheers,
Renato
Old 16-04-2014, 04:44 PM
-George-

Don't know. Saturn is visible pretty easily, I never used it before and I found that straight forward, so...
Old 17-04-2014, 12:19 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Don't know. Saturn is visible pretty easily, I never used it before and I found that straight forward, so...
Learning the night sky is pretty easy. If you have a planisphere and a flashlight with several strips of red insulation tape over it, you just go outside, hold the planisphere over your head facing north or south, and you learn the major stars and bigger constellations. (But if you can find Saturn by yourself, you probably don't need the planisphere)

Then get a small atlas like Tirion's Bright Star Atlas. Locate those bright stars and constellations in its pages, point your telescope there, and then move the telescope to the brighter Deep Sky Objects plotted near the point you've identified. You'll soon get the hang of it. Later on, get a bigger atlas and do the same thing.

Though I'm still not sure how you are pointing your telescope easily without a red dot finder.

I don't use the planisphere much anymore, except to find planets by reading their rise time in the paper of internet, and seeing roughly where they are along the equatorial belt on the planisphere. Bright Star Atlas I still use a lot, despite having much bigger atlases.
Regards,
Renato
Old 17-04-2014, 06:48 AM
madwayne (Wayne)

Congratulations George, I have not long taken delivery of an Orion 12" GoTo so basically the same thing. I have been enjoying the extra aperture not to mention the quick setup and pull down of the Dob. The GoTos are fairly accurate.

If you want something different to observe, track down Mimosa (beta Crux) and fairly close to it is a little deep red star. It's a carbon star called DY Crucis. I'm fascinated by these and they will be my main objects of interest in my observing.

Good luck with your new light bucket and clear skies.

Wayne
Old 17-04-2014, 06:55 AM
ourkind (Carlos)
There is no substitute

Congratulations!!
Old 17-04-2014, 09:54 AM
-George-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato1 View Post

Though I'm still not sure how you are pointing your telescope easily without a red dot finder.

Regards,
Renato
The cross-hair on the 8x50 finder scope I find pretty easy to use. I adjusted it that when the planet is in middle of the eyepiece that it is on the center or the cross-hair (more or less). Not perfect but, close enough that when I had a 250x eyepiece on, it was in view (off to side) as long as I had the cross-hair on the 8x50 in middle.

When it got all fogged up I was using the 30mm eyepiece (50x) to find Saturn, up, down, left right, up down, left, right, up, down, left, right, up, down, left, right, stop, stretch back as its sore from being in that bent position, up, down, left, right, up, down, left, right, comeon!!!!, up, down, left, right, up, down, yawn, left, right, up, down, left, right, look at the moon, ok, Saturn is kinda down right from there, point scope at moon first, then, down, right, up, down, left, right, back sore again, up, down, left, right, up and, left (stretch again back sore), up, down, left... THERE YOU ARE! (20min later).

Last time I got it in very easy, this time it took ages. what a view though! at 50x, it is very small, but all the detail still there, at 100x, it is more pleasing size, and, comfortable because I can sit there watching it without it flying through my view. At 250x it is gorgeous, but I have to set it up to be at the top of the view (or just out) and then just wait for it to pass through, giving me more time to observe before having to move it again.

Spent 3 hours out last night. Was gorgeous. Jupiter also looked amazing! It did have ripples on the edges of the planet at 250x, Saturn did not, so I put the 15mm eyepiece in at 100x and the ripple effect disappeared, the planet was in view much longer (which was nice), but I must say I preferred the planet being larger. Mars was a white ball pretty much, not much visible on it.

So when the view finder was fogged up, I basically used the 30mm, to help me find the planet, then, when in center, I pulled the 30mm out and attached the 15mm 100x, fine adjustment to get it back in middle, then i pulled it out and stuck the 6mm in at 250x, fine adjustment again but was pretty much in view. I used that as a way to aid in getting more magnification without trying to find it at higher magnifications as that was near impossible.

These 2 horrid drawings are basically how it looked at 100x and 250x (size wise) I tried to make it look on your screen the way it 'really' looks through eyepiece.

(there may be a section on forum where perhaps my first experience could be cut/pasted as a new thread for other beginners etc that wonder what you see, don't, usage struggles etc? if it is worth it... don't know - admins/moderators, let me know)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (b.JPG)
3.5 KB43 views
Click for full-size image (c.JPG)
4.0 KB23 views

Last edited by -George-; 17-04-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 17-04-2014, 10:48 AM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwayne View Post

If you want something different to observe, track down Mimosa (beta Crux) and fairly close to it is a little deep red star. It's a carbon star called DY Crucis. I'm fascinated by these and they will be my main objects of interest in my observing.
That star is fantastic. In a 10" + scope its color is so pronounced. A very rich bright red color.
Old 17-04-2014, 12:47 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

It sure is Adrian, in my 12" it is simply amazing. And the other beautiful thing is the Jewel Box is just outside my field of view so always worth popping in to view that.

Just got to love our southern skies.

Wayne
Old 17-04-2014, 07:07 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
The cross-hair on the 8x50 finder scope I find pretty easy to use. I adjusted it that when the planet is in middle of the eyepiece that it is on the center or the cross-hair (more or less). Not perfect but, close enough that when I had a 250x eyepiece on, it was in view (off to side) as long as I had the cross-hair on the 8x50 in middle.

When it got all fogged up I was using the 30mm eyepiece (50x) to find Saturn, up, down, left right, up down, left, right, up, down, left, right, up, down, left, right, stop, stretch back as its sore from being in that bent position, up, down, left, right, up, down, left, right, comeon!!!!, up, down, left, right, up, down, yawn, left, right, up, down, left, right, look at the moon, ok, Saturn is kinda down right from there, point scope at moon first, then, down, right, up, down, left, right, back sore again, up, down, left, right, up and, left (stretch again back sore), up, down, left... THERE YOU ARE! (20min later).

Last time I got it in very easy, this time it took ages. what a view though! at 50x, it is very small, but all the detail still there, at 100x, it is more pleasing size, and, comfortable because I can sit there watching it without it flying through my view. At 250x it is gorgeous, but I have to set it up to be at the top of the view (or just out) and then just wait for it to pass through, giving me more time to observe before having to move it again.

Spent 3 hours out last night. Was gorgeous. Jupiter also looked amazing! It did have ripples on the edges of the planet at 250x, Saturn did not, so I put the 15mm eyepiece in at 100x and the ripple effect disappeared, the planet was in view much longer (which was nice), but I must say I preferred the planet being larger. Mars was a white ball pretty much, not much visible on it.

So when the view finder was fogged up, I basically used the 30mm, to help me find the planet, then, when in center, I pulled the 30mm out and attached the 15mm 100x, fine adjustment to get it back in middle, then i pulled it out and stuck the 6mm in at 250x, fine adjustment again but was pretty much in view. I used that as a way to aid in getting more magnification without trying to find it at higher magnifications as that was near impossible.

These 2 horrid drawings are basically how it looked at 100x and 250x (size wise) I tried to make it look on your screen the way it 'really' looks through eyepiece.

(there may be a section on forum where perhaps my first experience could be cut/pasted as a new thread for other beginners etc that wonder what you see, don't, usage struggles etc? if it is worth it... don't know - admins/moderators, let me know)
Hi George,
I think you need to make a little dew shield for your finder. Just get soem black plastic from the back of a cheap folder, roll it up and tape it, so that you can slip it on and off. If your optics are clean, well, you can wipe the eyepiece with some tissue paper.

I still don't know how you aim the 8X50 at a not so bright star, especially if there are other similar stars around. I like the cheap rifle scope red dot finders because, while not as cool looking as other ones, it's usually pretty easy to find a plastic or card board roll, and with a scissors and tape make a dewshield that easily covers them.

My last resort for very dewy nights, is a 12 Volt hairdryer I bought years ago, which I plug into a battery pack.

As for Mars, if you can't see features on it - stare hard. Then try a pair of sunglasses, preferably with some red or yellow in them, rather than bluish ones.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 17-04-2014, 07:40 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato1 View Post
Hi George,
I think you need to make a little dew shield for your finder. Just get soem black plastic from the back of a cheap folder, roll it up and tape it, so that you can slip it on and off. If your optics are clean, well, you can wipe the eyepiece with some tissue paper.

I still don't know how you aim the 8X50 at a not so bright star, especially if there are other similar stars around. I like the cheap rifle scope red dot finders because, while not as cool looking as other ones, it's usually pretty easy to find a plastic or card board roll, and with a scissors and tape make a dewshield that easily covers them.

My last resort for very dewy nights, is a 12 Volt hairdryer I bought years ago, which I plug into a battery pack.

As for Mars, if you can't see features on it - stare hard. Then try a pair of sunglasses, preferably with some red or yellow in them, rather than bluish ones.
Cheers,
Renato
Or the other solution for a finder is an old stubby holde. Just rip the bottom out of it and it fits over the finder. If a bit loose a big rubber band holds it in place.

Malcolm
Old 17-04-2014, 11:46 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Or the other solution for a finder is an old stubby holde. Just rip the bottom out of it and it fits over the finder. If a bit loose a big rubber band holds it in place.

Malcolm
Yep, that's what I do too
Old 18-04-2014, 03:20 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:

Malcolm
Great Idea!
I haven't seen that before, but it sounds brilliant.
Can't wait to try it myself
Old 18-04-2014, 04:36 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:

Malcolm
Kills two birds with one stone - it could be handy with a cool drink on a hot night of viewing.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 18-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
Great Idea!
I haven't seen that before, but it sounds brilliant.
Can't wait to try it myself
What this tells me is that Mike needs to start selling IceInSpace emblazoned stubby holders

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 18-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffen View Post
What this tells me is that Mike needs to start selling IceInSpace emblazoned stubby holders

Cheers
Steffen.
Another great idea!
I'll have four please Mike
Old 18-04-2014, 09:23 PM
noeyedeer (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Hybrid View Post
That star is fantastic. In a 10" + scope its color is so pronounced. A very rich bright red color.
had a chance tonight to observe that star. I never even noticed it until madwayne pointed it out. now it stands out like dogs bollocks. I think the longer you look the redder it gets, spectacular!

thanks for the tip!
matt
Old 18-04-2014, 09:27 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

Hi Matt

Glad you liked it. I found it in an old thread on here that I stumbled on in a search on Google. Now has me fascinated to see how many of these little treasurers are out there. Was actually googling just now to see if a catalogue exists. If I find it I'll post it on here.

Apologies for hijacking the original thread.

Wayne
Old 18-04-2014, 09:33 PM
noeyedeer (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwayne View Post
Hi Matt

Glad you liked it. I found it in an old thread on here that I stumbled on in a search on Google. Now has me fascinated to see how many of these little treasurers are out there. Was actually googling just now to see if a catalogue exists. If I find it I'll post it on here.

Apologies for hijacking the original thread.

Wayne
thanks thou Wayne, it's there but if you don't look for it you don't notice it. now I do. apparently it's the reddest star there is.

there is a catalogue or list .. I found it last night while googling about this star .. I'll see if I can find it. I think it's on the Canadian astronomy website.

wait for an edit...

http://calgary.rasc.ca/redstars.htm
http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/us/peculiar2/carbon.htm 5987 apparently if you get the dat files from the link up the top.

matt

Last edited by noeyedeer; 18-04-2014 at 11:35 PM.