Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-04-2017, 10:22 PM
WaTcHuLoOkNaTm9 (Harry)

Cheap Push-To Equipment

Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody knew what the most economical Push-To setup is for a large dobsonian telescope, preferably that could work with SkySafari?

Cheers
Old 01-05-2017, 12:49 AM
fbk (Fraser)

Well there's Argo Navis or Nexus Digital Setting Circles but they aren't exactly cheap. Nexus + encoders is the cheaper of the two that I looked into.

For the cheapest "push to" system you can use manual (printed) setting circle on the dob base and a digital angle gauge on the tube itself for altitude readout. It's what I use in conjunction with Sky Safari to get co-ordinates of objects. Cost under $100. I made a post previously with pics of mine.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:09 AM
Wavytone

Fit printed circles to your scope and use sky safari to give altaz coordinates for objects. Dial them up accordingly.

If you think the electronic solution from Astro Devices is expensive you need a reality check - most encoders cost more individually than what Serge charges for a complete set of hardware.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:11 AM
glend (Glen)

I used the Astro Devices Nexus wifi box with Sky Safari on my 16" dob and it was a joy to use, perfect in my opinion. I much perferred the graphic user interface of Sky Safari to the Argo Navis system, and the Astro Devices setup cost less (with encoders) than the Argo Navis. Only one choice imho.
Have a read through the Argo Navis vs Nexus thread on Cloudy Nights and form your own opinion.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:54 PM
geolindon (Lindon)

g day,

check out skEye Android app

L
Old 04-05-2017, 09:08 PM
dimithri86 (Dimithri)

As Lindon said, I swear by Skeye Pro app...with a few minutes of set up, its very accurate.