Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2020, 10:39 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Improving a CCM

CCM = Cheap Chinese Mount

I bought a Skywatcher EQM-35 recently after reading very positive reviews (significant improvement over the EQ3 and EQ5, approaching HEQ5 ability). It is SO light and portable that I can carry it, with counterweights on and scope on (with camera attached) with one hand out the front door and out to my side yard. Mount handles ~ 10kg, I have loaded up to around 5kg (Takahashi FS-78 with a mini-guidescope and an OSC CCD).

The TERRIBLE plastic parts or poorly done screws (non-stainless) were driving my pedanticism nuts, so I started ordering replacements. These include:

1. Dovetail clamp and safety screw (originals were poorly done, with a bent safety screw and a clamping screw with a non-radiused face). I replaced these with a 304 stainless safety thumb screw and a clamping screw with brass large surface area dovetail wedge robbed from an aftermarket clamp. Cost: $2 for the safety screw, and a percentage of the cost of the clamp assembly (total cost of the clamp new was $17, so maybe $4)

2. Azimuth adjustment screws. Originals are cheap flimsy (you can hear them crack when you turn them) plastic molded on iron screws. Replaced with again 304 stainless from the same source as above. $3.40 for 5 of them

3. Stefan Buda made me a polar scope cap in aluminium and anodised it. Replaced the craptaular plastic POS SW provides. Has an rubber O-ring for the perfect no-fall-out fit (as we come to expect from Stefan's precision!)

4. Setting circles locking screw - original is a nickle plate tiny screw. Replaced it with a computer case screw that is anodised the same colour as the SW new green. A note here - do NOT tighten these down, as they actually bind the RA axis! Leave them loose! I am even considering removing the polar scope entirely and replacing with a custom made plug (Vixen used to make such a vanity plug years ago for the GP series - I'll try finding one first). Or at least just putting in a grub screw (M4) in this position to seal the hole.

5. tripod leg locking screws are caught up in the mail delays. These are M8x16 stainless thumbscrews (NO PLASTIC)

6. Elevation adjustment screws similarly caught up in the mail delays. M10x50 and M10x60 stainless thumbscrews (I change my elevation so infrequently that normal thumb screws suffice)

Need to recalibrate SW's elevation scale (out by 7°) and get around to replacing EVERY screw and cap bolt with stainless replacements (the originals are all nickle plate or nitride blackened). The EQDrive belt drive set is next, followed by replacement of the SS tripod legs with thicker wall and better quality SS just as Kunama did some time back (might be seeking assistance here Matt).

I am VERY happy with the performance of this mount as is, to go so far as to say it tracks BETTER than any HEQ5 I have owned or used. Coming in at a little over $1K new with full GOTO ability (plus able to convert it to a tracker with the included parts), it's hard to beat. I have NOT imaged with it yet, but not foreseeing any issue, so long as you keep the load within limits. I defintitely would NOT image with a 4" scope on it, especially not a long tube. Strictly a 3", shortish focal length / tube mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_9711.jpg)
197.9 KB52 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_9708.jpg)
97.0 KB55 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_9709.jpg)
99.9 KB52 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_9710.jpg)
80.4 KB56 views

Last edited by LewisM; 07-01-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:43 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Some of these improvements are merely cosmetic, but most are durability-related. The dovetail clamp in particular needs replacing IMHO as the stock item digs into the dovetail bars, especially when you crank it tight.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:57 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

Where did you get those nice alt-az adjustment screws in pic 2? I'd like some for my onstep modded EQ5 ! I've looked around eBay in the past but never found anything quite like them
Old 07-01-2020, 11:59 AM
Wavytone

Lewis, in the last photo there is a short black scale left of the green knob - was that intended to be a vernier ?
Old 07-01-2020, 12:12 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Lewis, in the last photo there is a short black scale left of the green knob - was that intended to be a vernier ?
I guess - SW added it. I am likely removing it when the polar scope goes
Old 07-01-2020, 12:13 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Where did you get those nice alt-az adjustment screws in pic 2? I'd like some for my onstep modded EQ5 ! I've looked around eBay in the past but never found anything quite like them
Type "Stainless Steel Thumb Screw" in the search engine of eBay and the world opens up Here is one of my usual: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/M2-2-5-3...72.m2749.l2649

I ordered a couple more sets this morning - this is the seller I use a fair bit: https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_...screw&_sacat=0
Old 07-01-2020, 12:20 PM
Wavytone

Chris take a look at accu.co.uk - lots of nice stainless nuts and bolts inc one with knurled heads.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:22 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Chris take a look at accu.co.uk - lots of nice stainless nuts and bolts inc one with knurled heads.
Look at their prices and postage.

Buy from China - it's where accu buy theirs anyway
Old 07-01-2020, 01:36 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Notice I also removed the North "N" decal from the tripod leg - another bug of mine feel like finding a good looking "S" to put there
Old 07-01-2020, 06:26 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Thanks Lewis - a veritable treasure trove !!
Old 07-01-2020, 06:39 PM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Buy from China
sure ... I just think buying 1000 off at 5 cents each is a tad wasteful, environmentally, knowing I only needed 2 and the other 998 will go in the bin.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:24 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Err...you can buy 2 or 5 or 10...