Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Thanks everyone for your concerns. I cannot look at the full moon either as much as i've tried, my eye won't tolerate it. So I guess my eye is very sensitive. No scoping! and i've used my lap top yesterday and today to a bare minimum, as the glare from it was getting to me. I'm feeling much better tonight and tomorrow I should be back to normal. Though the glare at the moment off my laptop is still getting to me just a bit.

To renomorlased: No, I didn't notice anything green. But it all happened so quick. As soon as I put my eye to eye piece, i copped a piercing ray of light and moved away from the eyepiece straight away. I wonder if the sun's rays (it was setting in the horizon, as Venus itself was pretty low - about 30 deg - was around 6pm) had anything to do with producing that effect on Venus. Guess I'll never know.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Robh (Rob)

Just a general caution when using telescopes on Mercury or Venus while the Sun is still in the sky.

You may have the scope pointed at the planet but sunlight can still enter your scope. Sunlight on the primary mirror is extremely dangerous.
See diagram ...

Set up your scope in such a way the Sun will be blocked from view as it sets (e.g. behind a wall) but the planet is still visible.
Better still, wait till the Sun sets.

Regards, Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Sun.jpg)
19.7 KB20 views
Old 08-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Chillie (Henry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
Thanks everyone for your concerns. I cannot look at the full moon either as much as i've tried, my eye won't tolerate it. So I guess my eye is very sensitive. No scoping! and i've used my lap top yesterday and today to a bare minimum, as the glare from it was getting to me. I'm feeling much better tonight and tomorrow I should be back to normal. Though the glare at the moment off my laptop is still getting to me just a bit.
Suzy,

Can you turn down the brightness on your computer screen? On my Toshiba NB100 netbook, the glare is very bright. I usually turn the brightness right down by hitting Fn + F6. Your computer contols might be different though.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:54 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Quote:

To renormalised: No, I didn't notice anything green. But it all happened so quick. As soon as I put my eye to eye piece, i copped a piercing ray of light and moved away from the eyepiece straight away. I wonder if the sun's rays (it was setting in the horizon, as Venus itself was pretty low - about 30 deg - was around 6pm) had anything to do with producing that effect on Venus. Guess I'll never know.
Just read Rob's reply....it's quite possible that you could've got a stray ray from the Sun enter your scope. Now, that would hurt....a lot. I would go to the doc's and get it seen to, if that is the case. Just to be on the safe side. It sounds like some of the after effects are still lingering and by now they should've settled down. You probably won't need anything more than special eyedrops, but you can't be too careful!!!.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:32 PM
torana68 (Roger)

ooooooo sunburn of the eye ..... see your doctor, do they have any up there?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:10 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Its not worth the risk if the sun is up - best to get the shadow of a tree or building between you and its disk if you do need/want to be observing before it sets.

Sounds like this is most likely scenario Suzy - Venus just doesn't pack enough punch to hurt you as you say. Hope you're ok now - you have many worried.

Definitely worth making up with Venus too some time to watch the phases.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:39 AM
cybereye (Mario)
Mozzies love me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torana68 View Post
ooooooo sunburn of the eye ..... see your doctor, do they have any up there?
Yes we do, they just haven't been paid for a while...
Old 09-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Jules76 (Julian)
I just point it at stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robh View Post
Just a general caution when using telescopes on Mercury or Venus while the Sun is still in the sky.

You may have the scope pointed at the planet but sunlight can still enter your scope. Sunlight on the primary mirror is extremely dangerous.
See diagram ...

Set up your scope in such a way the Sun will be blocked from view as it sets (e.g. behind a wall) but the planet is still visible.
Better still, wait till the Sun sets.

Regards, Rob
This sounds like the likely cause, but I have a doubt. It get's pretty dark early up here in Brisbane, in fact I went out just a little while around 5:30pm and the Sun was pretty much gone. Suzy said this happened around 6pm, and I can tell you now it's dark outside and it isn't even 6pm.

To look yourself, go into Stellarium (or your favourite program) set to Brisbane and look around 6pm. It's pretty much set.

Like I said it sounds like the cause, but the Sun appears to be directly out of the way when Suzy said it happended.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:06 PM
M54 (Molly)

Hi Suzy,

I agree that you should have a check at the Doc's.
You can't be too careful with your eyes.

Hope you're feeling better.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Suzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules76 View Post
This sounds like the likely cause, but I have a doubt. It get's pretty dark early up here in Brisbane, in fact I went out just a little while around 5:30pm and the Sun was pretty much gone. Suzy said this happened around 6pm, and I can tell you now it's dark outside and it isn't even 6pm.

To look yourself, go into Stellarium (or your favourite program) set to Brisbane and look around 6pm. It's pretty much set.

Like I said it sounds like the cause, but the Sun appears to be directly out of the way when Suzy said it happended.

Hi Julian, it was twilight, - the sun definitely wasn't up, was setting. It wasn't dark - was still bright enough that I could see very clearly what I was doing and the sky had the glow in the horizon - you know when it's just setting. That being said, I said it was "around 6", as you know here in Brisbane, very quickly it goes from being somewhat brightish to dark. It was within this very quick in between period from light and dark. I just wondered if a ray as it was setting - as it's close to Venus may have anything to do with it. But I'm thinking not. I just think I have incredibly sensitive eyes. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I wondered if it was the sky glow (from the sun setting), the sun wasn't up. I'll just put it down to light sensitivity.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:00 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Smile

Quote:
Hi Julian, it was twilight, - the sun definitely wasn't up, was setting. It wasn't dark - was still bright enough that I could see very clearly what I was doing and the sky had the glow in the horizon - you know when it's just setting. That being said, I said it was "around 6", as you know here in Brisbane, very quickly it goes from being somewhat brightish to dark. It was within this very quick in between period from light and dark. I just wondered if a ray as it was setting - as it's close to Venus may have anything to do with it. But I'm thinking not. I just think I have incredibly sensitive eyes. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I wondered if it was the sky glow (from the sun setting), the sun wasn't up. I'll just put it down to light sensitivity.
You've been eating too many carrots
Old 10-05-2010, 09:40 PM
torana68 (Roger)

I also have a sore eye now.... a branch on a tree got me and its the suns fault (the lack of sun that is)..
Old 10-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Suzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by torana68 View Post
I also have a sore eye now.... a branch on a tree got me and its the suns fault (the lack of sun that is)..
Oh my goodness! I hope you're going to be okay. Uh oh.. hope this isn't turning into an eperdemic. Did it poke you badly? What are you doing about it? No Scoping for you until you're better, you hear!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:08 AM
torana68 (Roger)

.... Its ok, I have a spare .. it wasnt nice for a couple of hours though.
Old 20-05-2010, 01:12 PM
tonybarry (Tony)

Haven't looked at Venus, but I can't handle the moon through an eyepiece, regardless of the phase or the magnification. Just too bright.

Regards,
Tony Barry
Old 20-05-2010, 06:53 PM
fairway68

Quote:

To renomorlased: No, I didn't notice anything green. But it all happened so quick. As soon as I put my eye to eye piece, i copped a piercing ray of light and moved away from the eyepiece straight away. I wonder if the sun's rays (it was setting in the horizon, as Venus itself was pretty low - about 30 deg - was around 6pm) had anything to do with producing that effect on Venus. Guess I'll never know.
The only thing that could such a flash is sunlight. Could it have been an Iridium flash or a flash reflection off an aircraft's windscreen?
In an earlier life I flew fighter aircraft and the flash from a windscreen could be seen at 20 or more miles( Nautical, that is) I have seen the iridium overhead here and it can be very bright. would not like to see it through the eyepiece. Please see your GP.