Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2008, 04:58 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

And here is a recent widefield using 50mm (55?)

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=37703

The main ingredient is a dark sky but my point is these are done by an old mug (me) with relatively cheap gear.

I hope you find these shots encouraging...if you are not color blind you will do better.

alex
Old 06-12-2008, 05:31 PM
zumka (Daniel)

This is very inspiring what you can do with the good mount and just a camera Alex, great photos
Old 07-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Glenhuon (Bill)

My setup is similar to Alex, 6" reflector on an EQ5 with home made 80mm guide scope. I used it for the first 12 months with the dual axis drives fitted and got quite acceptable tracking over a couple of minutes+ with careful polar alignment. Recently fitted the Goto Upgrade and starting to get longer exposures with autoguiding. I'm pretty sure the newer EQ5's have bearings on the worm drive shafts and not the older bushes which makes them a bit smoother for manual guiding. The grease in mine was a bit tacky, although didn't seem overly heavy, but I changed it anyway.

Cheers
Bill
Old 07-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Tamtarn
Barb and David

Hi Daniel

We started out astro imaging with the SW600 EQ5 Skywatcher last year and had great success. The only thing is you will need the motor drives as you will need to guide for longer exposures, The motor drives will be around $250 extra. Check some of the links on IIS to compare prices.

If you look us up in the Member List and check "Threads Started" and go back to page 4 you will see in Deep Space when we started posting our images over a period of months using the Skywatcher and EQ5 mount and as beginners at the time you can see how well the setup worked for us.

In our opinion it's the perfect setup to get you started. You can buy the scope and mount and get used to using it then buy yourself the motor drives when you're ready to start imaging.

If you get a chance have a look at our web pages and you can see how we have progressed to better equipment over a period of time improving our images. Although we have purchased the Celestron SCT we will still also use the Skywatcher on our EQ6 .

http://barb.david.1.googlepages.com/home

Barb and David

Last edited by Tamtarn; 07-12-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:48 PM
zumka (Daniel)

Thank You Barb and David,

What's really ironic is that I was thinking about buying the same scope on HEQ5 mount from Andrews ($1099) which is reasonable.

Can you please clarify something for me if I get HEQ5 do I still need to buy additional motor or does it come with the mount.
I'm also planing on utilizing my eePC with EQmod to save some money on GOTO.

Beside astrophotography I also what to do some star gazing with my kids will SW600 will be a good scope for that in comparison to 8" Dob ?

Thank you once again for everyones great help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamtarn View Post
Hi Daniel

We started out astro imaging with the SW600 EQ5 Skywatcher last year and had great success. The only thing is you will need the motor drives as you will need to guide for longer exposures, The motor drives will be around $250 extra. Check some of the links on IIS to compare prices.

If you look us up in the Member List and check "Threads Started" and go back to page 4 you will see in Deep Space when we started posting our images over a period of months using the Skywatcher and EQ5 mount and as beginners at the time you can see how well the setup worked for us.

In our opinion it's the perfect setup to get you started. You can buy the scope and mount and get used to using it then buy yourself the motor drives when you're ready to start imaging.

If you get a chance have a look at our web pages and you can see how we have progressed to better equipment over a period of time improving our images. Although we have purchased the Celestron SCT we will still also use the Skywatcher on our EQ6 .

http://barb.david.1.googlepages.com/home

Barb and David
Old 07-12-2008, 10:07 PM
PCH (Paul)

Hi Daniel,

the HEQ5 comes with both motors - so no more to buy except the full 'goto' version if it takes your fancy. And with the right rings, you could even mount the 8" ota on the HEQ5 quite easily.

Cheers,
Old 08-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Tamtarn
Barb and David

Quote:
Beside astrophotography I also what to do some star gazing with my kids will SW600 will be a good scope for that in comparison to 8" Dob ?
The SW600 Newtonian has good quality pyrex mirrors giving you better contrast than some of the Dobs so it is OK for both visual and imaging.

As Paul has mentioned the HEQ5 includes the motor drives. By the way Andrews price on the SW600 with HEQ5 for $1099 is a really good price. We paid $1020 for the SW600 with just an EQ5 mount last year.

Last edited by Tamtarn; 08-12-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:37 AM
zumka (Daniel)

I just got of the phone with Bintel.

I was told that I can't utilise HEQ5 (non Go-To model) with EQmod to drive the mount instead I need full HEQ5PRO model.

Can someone please clarify this.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:17 PM
zumka (Daniel)

Ok,

After doing some research here is what I’m going to do:

1. Buy SW600 with HEQ5 (non PRO version without GOTO)
2. Get EQDIR Interface Module from the shoestring
3. Get autoguiding scope (haven’t figured out which)
4. Use Webcam for autoguiding
3. Use my Laptop with EQMOD to drive the mount
4. Use my Nikon D50 to take photos

I know I could be on the wrong track in here please feel free to correct me.

What other accessories would you recommend?

P.S. Honestly speaking just an idea of making all of the above mentioned equipmend work together scares me
Old 09-12-2008, 04:22 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

The system you seem to be looking at looks fine. Now remember this, if you look to the right of the screen York optical are giving upto 20% off everything in their online store with a $25 flat rate shipping.?... it took a 10" skywatcher dob from 800 to 625. The HEQ5 is 875 with shipping to anywhere in aus.

Mabe thats a good looking mount, though it doesn't have the fully goto (if your in a urban area, this is nearly a must!, its still not bad, though keep in mind the EQ6 Skyscan at 1530 will be as much as a HEQ5 with Skscan if you buy it later on. just a future proofing idea.!

found the OTA as well all up delivered should be something like 1375 for mount and tube

Last edited by bmitchell82; 09-12-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:28 PM
zumka (Daniel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmitchell82 View Post
The system you seem to be looking at looks fine. Now remember this, if you look to the right of the screen York optical are giving upto 20% off everything in their online store with a $25 flat rate shipping.?... it took a 10" skywatcher dob from 800 to 625. The HEQ5 is 875 with shipping to anywhere in aus.

Mabe thats a good looking mount, though it doesn't have the fully goto (if your in a urban area, this is nearly a must!, its still not bad, though keep in mind the EQ6 Skyscan at 1530 will be as much as a HEQ5 with Skscan if you buy it later on. just a future proofing idea.!

found the OTA as well all up delivered should be something like 1375 for mount and tube
Thank you,

It does make a difference for some items however bintel offering HEQ5 without GOTO with SW600 for $1095

The GOTO alone is around $600 extra I was thinking to find a workarround to minimise the cost of the setup by buying HEQ5 and using EQMOD as goto following suggetion from acropolite in bellow post.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:21 PM
zumka (Daniel)

Thank you everyone.

I have finally made my decision. I got the SW600 OTA from the Andrews and EQ6PRO mount (on special) from the telescopeshop.com.au.

Let the frustration of setting the whole thing up begin !!!
Old 11-12-2008, 03:50 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)

ahhh at least your smart. its refreshing! you will get loads of great use out of your set up for many many years. now we will await till you can get yourself a little cannon 350 D for 3-400 hundred and watch for your photos.! hehhe

Congratulations and

Brendan
Old 11-12-2008, 04:05 PM
zumka (Daniel)

Quote:
ahhh at least your smart. its refreshing! you will get loads of great use out of your set up for many many years. now we will await till you can get yourself a little cannon 350 D for 3-400 hundred and watch for your photos.! hehhe

Congratulations and

Brendan
I already have Nikon D50 will have to utilise that
Old 11-12-2008, 04:23 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)

The feeling when you see that first image pop up on a screen is awsome but remember this advice that i was given.... FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS.!
Old 11-12-2008, 04:30 PM
zumka (Daniel)

Quote:
The feeling when you see that first image pop up on a screen is awsome but remember this advice that i was given.... FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS.!
Yes, let me first go through the agony of assembling and aligning everything before I can focus
Old 11-12-2008, 05:34 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)

youll do it in a snap, remember to get a 12 mm or less illuminated rectical to do your drift allignment. theres a great thread in here for a basic way
Old 12-12-2008, 09:22 AM
Tamtarn
Barb and David

Just caught up with your thread again Daniel.

You have chosen very well. You won't regret spending the extra money. Your setup is exactly the same as ours and we have had great success imaging with this rig.

It is quite a learning curve setting to whole thing up for imaging but just pose your questions on the forum and you will quickly get help.

The kids are going to love it
Old 12-12-2008, 11:20 AM
zumka (Daniel)

Did some reading on a polar alignemt I might have a problem with it because I leave in a middle of Melbourne in a house with a rather small back yard. I can't see from horizon to horizon.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:44 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)

If your imaging you will most likely need it if your setup is unguided, if your taking small subs then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. do what most people have done, get very presice for the start and align your scope up with protractors, and compasses. that will put you in a reasonably close set up. theres a recent post where one of the ISS members could land octanis within the FOV with this same method. look it up