Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2014, 07:33 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

I think I found more nebulae yesterday, including the NGC 3242, but they were really small....
Old 07-02-2014, 07:50 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

Here are pictures of most of the NGC nebulae.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1100488...46/NGCNebulae#

Here are pictures of most of the NGC planetary nebulae.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1100488...m95-XF98SCggE#

The images are from wikisky.org

You might have to download picasa to see them.

Last edited by glenc; 08-02-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:04 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Most planetary nebulae visually are small. The few 'large' ones that we can actually see detail are not that many, and details are hard to make out and require not just aperture, but good seeing conditions.

An OIII filter is the greatest help with planetary nebulae.

In my humble opinion, chasing down the small and really small PN's is a good eye and mind tease, . The technique I'll be describing below is not at all limited to sussing out small PN's, but also great for spotting larger one's too.

"Blinking" is an old visual trick where two images are quickly compared one after another to spot any differences - Pluto was discovered this way 'blinking' two photographic plates together. Pluto 'blinked' between the plates, its tiny movement between the time lapsed between the two photos was spotted by Clyde Tombaugh in 1930.

With PN's, we use an OIII filter to create the second visual image. The OIII filter is flicked between our eye and the eyepiece. The surrounding star field is toned down by the OIII filter, but the PN *POPS* out like a beacon through the OIII!

You can hold the OIII filter between your fingers, but this is clumsy, impractical and risky for the filter. An easier way is to use a 'blinking paddle' which is very easy to make. The paddle is very thin, thinner than one's fingers, so it is easy to flick it in and out of the FOV. My blinking paddle now stays in my eyepiece kit. Come to think of it, since I made my paddle, ALL my eyepieces have been changed over, but not the paddle that cost me squat!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:19 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Thank you, Glen and Alexander!

I also remembered that just before Christmas I went to the Alumni Bookshop and found a "star guide" and a book on nebulas/galaxies. On that particular day they only accepted cash because their machine was down. I usually don't go around with much cash and could only buy one. So I opted for the star guide as an absolute beginner. Unfortunately it was the last day they were open and they said they would reopen in February. So basically they have only been open this week and chances are high they still have the other book. They are not open on Fridays, but I can't wait to check tomorrow.
The photos were stunning. I will never see images like that with my telescope, but it was still so beautiful.