Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-02-2013, 11:28 PM
cpoc

First Light! :D

So I finally lashed out and bought an 8" dobsonian (thanks to Iceinspace trade section) and though it was cloudy last night after I received it... there was a clear sky tonight (clear enough to get some viewing anyway).

I am still somewhat limited in my viewing due to being in the recovery phase of what my eldest step son called being "desexed"... but I did manage to spot a lovely "pulsar"? just down and to the right of the southern cross (I should appologise here for my lack of co-ordinate knowledge... I'm sure I'm going to frustrate people with my lack lustre descriptions). It was down and right of a similarly bright star... but it had a lovely mix of colours... at least it did in my eyepiece (though it was partially obstructed by some leaves from a tree in my backyard so perhaps that split the light and caused the lovely effect).

In my random scannings of the sky I'm also fairly sure I spotted a nebula... my description of where I found this will be even worse... it was somewhat to the left of center of the sky and maybe 1/4 of the way down... I wasn't searching for anything in specific... just seeing what I could find from my seated position and the it popped into view in my largest eyepiece (a 25mm if memory serves)... it was a dark greyish patch with a darker/black wavy center. I had a quick jump on Stelarium but as I hadn't really noted it's spot in the sky and with my currently minimal knowledge of object positions in the sky I can't really help much here... but... for a first grab and go scan of the sky with the new Dob... I'm pretty pleased. I should also note that the sky was pretty washed out when I was viewing which was around 10/10:30pm. It seems I have more light pollution here than I first figured... or maybe it was just a rough night. Will have to find a planet or two next time... if my snip snip recovery allows more detailed searching )

Then... to try some afocal snaps... maybe stick my video camera to the eyepiece and see what I can manage.

I should also grab the Barlow from my inherited old Tasco Refractor... there is so much to do and so much gazing to look forward to

Thanks everyone for their advice and for Iceinspace in general for being a great resource and for being full of people who are helpful and kind... can be rare online
Old 16-02-2013, 01:18 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Congrats on first light! The "pulsar" as you described it is a brightish star that is low so the light travells through more air which distorts the view. On brighter stars they flash varying colours. Look at them with your scope defocused and you will see loks of band of colour.
Even on good seeing nights this effect is obvious, on poor night low stars will easily flash colours to the naked eye.

Malcolm
Old 16-02-2013, 11:50 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Ouch ! 'Desexed' .
Good to here you even got to use it so fast , normally the new scope curse lasts at least a week .
Malcolm is right on the money , the best seeing is at least 45 degrees above the horizon .
Great scope you have there and most of all take your time , learn and enjoy .
Brian.
Old 16-02-2013, 03:56 PM
simmo

Hello cpoc,

Well done mate and congrats on your first night.

Cheers
Simmo
Old 17-02-2013, 12:19 AM
cpoc

It's another clear night (ok I'm probably cursing it now... I do realise I'm extremely lucky to have these clear nights so close to having my new scope)... I might go out and have a look around Orion's belt

Very happy with my new star gazing tool
Old 17-02-2013, 10:59 PM
cpoc

Managed a bit of viewing last night and believe I may have spotted the Great Nebula in Orion (m42 or m43?). Looking forward to more spotting when I am more completely healed
Old 18-02-2013, 06:26 AM
omegacrux (David)

Good scopes those dobs
You have been lucky with the weather then , same here .
New 10in Dob arrived fri and got three clear nights viewing .
Have a look round the southern cross a lot going on there !
Enjoy

David
Old 20-02-2013, 12:13 AM
cpoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegacrux View Post
Good scopes those dobs
You have been lucky with the weather then , same here .
New 10in Dob arrived fri and got three clear nights viewing .
Have a look round the southern cross a lot going on there !
Enjoy

David
Thanks for the tip... might have a browse when I next get a chance.
Old 20-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Hey CPOC,

You bought it hey? Is it the Saxon one?

cool!

The "pulsar" you are referring to, was probably the "Jewel Box" cluster, which is just off to the side of Crux, contains a number of different coloured stars.

I have attached a pic of it that I took on the 8th Feb, to see if you think its the same one? Please excuse the crappy processing, I threw it together quickly.

Enjoy the new toy, sorry to hear about the "boys".....

Cheers

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Jewel Box IIS.jpg)
135.6 KB25 views
Old 20-02-2013, 10:27 PM
cpoc

Screwdriverone - yep it's the Saxon... very nice

I'll have to look again to see if it was the jewel box... I was just so happy to be out and viewing I didn't take much notice of fine details (that and it was partially obscured by the tree).

I'm a bit more comfortable with the different EP's now too so that's good.

Will view again when the skies clear (was hoping tonight to point it at Jupiter... but alas the clouds have come back).

Oh and... nice shot for something you "threw together quickly"