Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2012, 10:32 AM
mbyrr (Antony)
Lost in space

Mr Moon!

Hello astro-pals, finally a clear night after weeks of waiting, I couldn't wait to lug the dob out back for examining the bright gibbous moon!

First time I got to use the moon filter, it sure was bright, I was definitely seeing spots after trying out the 25mm ep. I managed to take a couple of okay pics with my point-and-click camera thru the lens too (okay okay, not very good astrophotography but hey).

I am still no closer to seeing Saturn's rings tho...
Old 01-06-2012, 02:50 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

You gotta start somewhere Antony. I used a point and click a few times, still do now and then and you would be amazed at what you can get sometimes.
I've been trying out my sun filter for the transit and took a shot at the sun with the old point and shoot through the EP. It was good enough to show sunspots and surface granularity.
Careful though, once the bug has bitten it gets obsessive and expensive as I can attest. $$$$$$$
Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Nothing wrong with the old point and shoot, especially for moon shots as there is so much light. I have never really got anything worth having with this method on anything but the moon but it sure is fun and cheap.

Keep enjoying looking up
Old 04-06-2012, 01:36 PM
NCC-2893 (John)

Hey all. Johns the name. Just aquired a scope through a buddy of mine getting crook and he cant get outside much now, so he's pushing me into taking over from him. Must say after a couple weeks of fine weather I'm starting to get the bug. And they reckon you can't teach old dogs new tricks.I've always enjoyed looking at the sky through binos so this is next logical step. Hope I can pump you good people for info without being to much of a nuisance. Well I guess that was post number one. Thanks again.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:41 PM
NCC-2893 (John)

must apologise. I do think I butted in where I shouldn't. I'll go start a new thread.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:19 PM
mbyrr (Antony)
Lost in space

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcpb View Post
Nothing wrong with the old point and shoot, especially for moon shots as there is so much light. I have never really got anything worth having with this method on anything but the moon but it sure is fun and cheap.

Keep enjoying looking up
Agreed, not bad with the moon, assuming you can keep the camera steady!
Old 04-06-2012, 05:03 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-2893 View Post
must apologise. I do think I butted in where I shouldn't. I'll go start a new thread.

John:

FYI, you are able to delete a post or ask an admin to do it for you...

Anthony:

Keep at it. I always suggest that people eyepiece jump as you get the hang of how the Field Of View (FOV) behaves in your scope. Starting with a 26 to 40mm to get the wider views and then work your way to the more "powerful" eyepieces once you get the hang of it. It is amazing how much there is to see at low power (or even binoculars...).

OIC!
Old 05-06-2012, 10:00 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Antony, I use my 20mm and 15mm superview EPs more than any other for 90% of my viewing. Very rare to use anything much smaller and lowest I go is probably the 9mm TMB and then only after locating my target with the 20 normally.