Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2009, 05:40 PM
orestis

Aldi Zoom Binoculars?

Hi everyone,
i was looking through the Aldi shop catalogue when i noticed these zoom binoculars for $25.
There are two types the 10-30x60 or 8-24x50 magnification bino's.they say that they have:
Blue coloured multi-coated lenses
Double sided multiple coating treatment
Reversible eyecup
Reflection treated

i already have a 10x50 bino but i would like the convenience of being able to zoom on a deep sky object.
i understand that the fov will be small at higher power and therefore very wobbly and the binos weigh a bit so is there some kind of tripod i can put them on.

just wondering what you guys think and if theres anyone out there which owns zoom binos that can give me there opinion on them.

orestis
ps what is the purpose of the blue coloured coating?
thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (W50_zoom_binoculars_PD[1].jpg)
21.5 KB168 views
Old 04-12-2009, 06:35 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

zooms - stay away from them, once you get past the 10x in the 60mm and the 8x in the 50mm the image will deteriorate..try them in the carpark.

Though for 25 bucks they might do waht you need..keep in mind once you go past 10x in a bino you need to mount it otherwise the image will shake.

i would buy my wife some flowers - it will give you more hapiness
Old 04-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Robh (Rob)

I bought a similar pair from Aldi last Christmas just for curiosity. I think they were the same price, $25. They are hard to focus and suffer terribly from chromatic aberration (colour fringing). If you want a decent pair of binoculars, forget the variable magnification and you'll have to pay more.

Regards, Rob.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Kevnool (Kev)
Fast Scope & Fast Engine

For 25 bucks i would give them a go, But theres no aldi here.

Thats only half a carton.

And if they were crap then i would throw them.

Cheers Kev.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:44 PM
JimmyH155

Dont touch them with a barge pole. For that price they will be rubbish - just like the electronic compass I bought from them a couple of years ago. I read the spec and it said accuracy + or - 5 degrees. and people on this forum were actually using them for lining up their scopes???? Garbage
I agree the suggestion, go and buy her a bunch of flowers
Old 10-12-2009, 03:38 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Double binocular vision

Hi Orestis & All,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robh View Post
I bought a similar pair from Aldi last Christmas just for curiosity. I think they were the same price, $25. They are hard to focus and suffer terribly from chromatic aberration (colour fringing). If you want a decent pair of binoculars, forget the variable magnification and you'll have to pay more.

Regards, Rob.
I went and had a look through a pair today at Aldi and I've got to say Rob, your assessment is far to generous ...

In addition to the things Rob noted: they have a very narrow FOV at all magnifications. I tried three pair -- they were all out of collimation and the coatings on the objective lenses of two were patchy. On the third, the coatings barely pass muster. On this front it looks like the lenses have had a passing acquaintance with MgFl -- but it was an fleeting dalliance.

Very light-weight, I'd suspect the very least "accidental" handling will knock the collimation out.

If you are interested in a pair of toy binos a half-step up from the plastic stocking-filler variety for the kids, they fit the bill exactly.

Otherwise, they are simply appalling.

Best,

Les D
Old 10-12-2009, 05:11 PM
pgc hunter

My 25 bux would be going towards a proper pair of binoculars from a reputable dealer.

Aldi sells cheap no-name knock-off brands which don't exist anywhere else. My cats won't even touch cat food from Aldi. Let alone astronomical equipment And their variety/selection of groceries is craptacular compared to normal supermarkets.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:23 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re cheap binos

Yeah,i dont think i would touch'em

However,i did buy a cheap pair approx $50,at last years astrofest,

one of the Brisbane dealers,had them all sizes,by the time i got to the box,there was only two pairs left,i took the 8 by 40's,no ame brand,

the dealer said that they were made for a 'brand' but the become avali

sometimes,Now i usually turn my nose up at cheap,optics,but these are

very good value for money,rather than buy a really cheap pair from chain store,go to astronomy shop and spend and extra 25 to 30 dollars,and you will have a pair of usable binos,

I use these cheaper pair on the property,they get used on birds,animals etc,very light.really happy to spend the money with aproper astro shop.

cheers Chris