Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-11-2008, 08:49 PM
vk2amv

Telescope for beginner

Hi,

I am sure you guys get asked this question many many times so I apoligise for asking it again.

I have never really done any star watching, which is a shame as I live in central west NSW and ambient light polution is minimal.
Anyway I bought the Aldi $79 telescope a little bit back just for a bit of a play I around with.
I was in there and saw it and thought what the hell its only $80.

Never having had a telescope before it gave me something to mess around with, and a bit of a cheap thrill.
I was able to train in on Jupiter, and Mars, and a few other things alright but no details or anything, cant even see any moons of jupiter for example.

But the aldi telescope has whetted my appetite and I have decided I want to spend some money on something much better so I can get better views.

I have decided on a budget up to $500.

I have done some reading on the forums here and pretty much decided on a reflector type telescope with an 8" mirror.

Now I had a quick look on fleabay and did see an Astronomical brand 8" Newtonian telescope.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/203mm-x-800-E...QQcmdZViewItem
No idea on the quality of it though.
Was wondering what anyone here though of it?

Also quite willing to consider other telescope options.

Another one I saw mentioned on the forums here is Bintel brand.
Had a look at the site and one that looks in my price range is the BT-202 telescope for $429.
https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=6739
Though with the right justificaton I could maybe stretch to the BT-252 10" mirror model for $599.

Also what about tracking motors? Or even goto mounts?
Even with the cheap aldi scope I had to keep moving it to keep up with the earths rotation when I was looking at jupitor.
So if I had something with a tracking motor in it it would make it a lot easier for me.

What would you recommend in that area?
Is what I am thinking of even possible for my budget?

As I said I dont really know exactly where to start and am quite open to suggestions.

Though please noone suggest I just get binoculars.
I am not interested in them.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by vk2amv; 26-11-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 26-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Dog Star (Phil)
I'm bloody serious

G'day and welcome to IIS VK2.
For a start, if your budget is 500 odd bucks, forget gotos/tracking motors. Take that idea out the back yard and put a swift bullet in its head. Sorry, but sometimes it's necessary to be cruel to be kind.
An 8 or 10 inch reflector on a dob mount is probably just what you want. If you can afford it, go for the 10.
Whilst I have nothing whatsoever against Bintel (in fact, a lot of people on this site swear by them) you might want to compare prices at Andrews Communications. The scopes are the same units at both places, Bintel just re-badges them.
Have you considered transport and handling issues? A 10" reflector is a fair size scope, an 8" not quite so.
Have a bit of a think, consider the advice you will be given by other posters to your question and then maybe ask some more questions. Most important of all, DON'T RUSH! Have fun.
Cheers.
PS - I asked a whole heap of similar questions about 6 months ago (after using binoculars for about a year) and eventually bought a 12" from Andrews. Does that help?
Old 27-11-2008, 12:34 AM
vk2amv

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have been doing some more looking and I see what you mean about the cost of tracking and goto's.
I would have to spend much much more money to even think of that.

So I am as you say "taking that idea out back and putting a bullet in its head"

I also had I though about transportation.
Though that will not be too much of an issue for me as I have a big enough vehicle to do so. But as you point out it is an issue to still think about.

I am also going to have a look at the Andrews site to see what they have.

EDIT:
I have also found another seller, Sirius Optics.

They have the Skywatcher SW680 8" Dobsonian for sale for $560
or the Skywatcher SW880 10" Dobsonian for $889.

If only I could justify the extra money for the 10" one.
The 8" model looks alright as an option though.

So many options to think about.

Last edited by vk2amv; 27-11-2008 at 02:18 AM.
Old 27-11-2008, 07:10 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi vk2amv

I had an 8" reflector on dobsonian mount for my first year's observing. I always had to travel from the suburbs to get dark skies. I loved my 8". Fitted easily in my small car. I've now moved up to 12" and have to pull a trailer to move scope and related bits and pieces.

If you are setting up in your backyard, then transport is less an issue. The 10" is still relatively easy to carry. Others have set up a hand trolley to move the entire scope from home to backyard.

My 8" (and now 12") are the Bintel-branded GSOs. No one has yet given me an acceptable reason to pay the extra for the Skywatcher-branded scopes. I believe that you would be happy with the GSO models (Bintel and Andrews are two main retailers, but check around).

The bundled package you get will get you started, but, either immediately or in time, you will find that you do need more. A collimation tool, a better eyepiece or two, some form of nebula filter. And the usual stool, red light torch, planisphere, atlas etc. So if you have a strict budget, going with the 8" and having a hundred or two hundred dollars in reserve might be a good move.

Watch the for sale entries below. You can get eyepieces, filters, even collimation tools for a significant discount off new. Even telescopes. I have had three telescopes now - all second hand off this forum. Happy every time!

Eric
Old 27-11-2008, 09:20 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

You have been given some really good advice so far. After many years and even with the larger scope my 8" scope is the most often used one.

I agree with Erik, I cannot see any justification in the extra expense of a Skywatcher. If you get a new GS it will come with a crayford focuser and a few eyepieces that will get you going. Only extras needed are a red torch, plansiphere, cheshire collimator (essential), a stool (to stop dobber's back) and a desire to get out and have a look.

Don't get into the "upgrade" path too soon or you will end up with a lot of expensive paperweights. The eyepieces these scopes come with are plenty to get you going.

Keep looking up
Old 27-11-2008, 10:43 AM
GrahamL
pro lumen

I'd leave that 8 "f4 on e bay .. best place for it

The 8 or 10 from bintel or andrews are great scopes for the price .
Wonder if further shipments will be as priced with our falling dollar ?
Old 27-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightstalker View Post
I'd leave that 8 "f4 on e bay .. best place for it
I'll reinforce the above by adding that beginners should keep totally away from ebay. There might be the occasional scope worth having, but as a beginner you wont know whats good and whats the usual overpriced trash scopes there.
Its a minefield you wont be equipped to navigate.
Old 27-11-2008, 05:05 PM
vk2amv

Thanks for all the good advice.

I am going to leave that one alone on fleabay and keep my eye open for an 8" or maybe even a 10" dobsonian on the trading forums here.

That looks like it may be the best way to go for me.
Old 27-11-2008, 06:10 PM
mozzie (Peter)

yes good advise leave fles bay alone i was burnt on my first scoop and there was no come back i bought my scoop from bintel (not trying to promote them in any way) but there service is out standingif you have any problems with your scoop they just fix it
when i recieved my new scoop 2 odd years ago the lnt module was broken rang don 4.30pm next mornind express post in my hands by 10.00am thats service so when you buy you also need good back up advice
only my 2 bobs worth and own experiece with scoops