Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-11-2008, 11:44 AM
cruiser (Brett)

Hi from newby and first report

Hi all,
I am a total newby (long time reader though) but I would like say that I have learnt heaps here reading what you guys get up to but with lots more to learn.

I recently picked up some 20x80 AOE binoculars as I only ever scanned the skies previously with an old set of 7x50’s and had a chance to get them under some darker skies than I’m used to here in Sydney when on a road trip up to North Qld.

Due to where we stayed and clouds the first chance I got was Port Douglas off the verandah of the top floor unit we had with ok views to the west. So after the family went off to bed I turned off the lights and firstly got to focus in on Jupiter. Could easily make out the moons and a very small disc for the planet. Now I don’t know if it was my imagination but as I stared at this gas giant I believed I could just make out the directions the bands were running on the planet every now and then. So out comes the laptop, start up stellarium and it matches what I could just see. So my first questions are, is it possible to see that through 20x80’s or was it my imagination and a good guess, and is stellarium’s depiction of Jupiter accurate?
Once finished viewing jupiter I just started to pan around the sky seeing what I could see. Well I was very impressed as I first spotted what I think was M22 or M28. and then I soon got my first ever views of the lagoon and trifid nebulas . I could see both in the fov at the same time and they each appeared as a small soft glows in the sky. Could see a few other little fuzzies but as my star hoping skills is pretty non existent at the moment I cant tell you what they were.

My other main chance to views was on a friends cane farm near Ayr. Well that was a bit different. Set the binos up on the tripod in the front yard of the house which gave similar views to the west so I mainly viewed the same objects. Didn’t view as long there as the sound of cane toads hoping around me every now and then kept freaking me out. I was always wondering that every time I stepped somewhere would I be about to step on one. So I took the binos up onto the verandah, sat in one of the chairs, leaned back and hand held them for about 20mins looking to the north hoping to see M31 but it didn’t get high enough at the time due to a couple of trees.
Overall I am very impressed with these binos and often get them out for a quick look at home (the wife always wants to have a look too) and will be carting them with me whenever on a trip.
Am now looking to buy a scope soon and will be heading along to a viewing night to check out what can be seen through different scopes and to figure out what will suit me.

Brett
Old 14-11-2008, 12:25 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Great start Brett, I often lay back and look through my binos, the wide fields are a pleasant change from telescope views. It's also worth getting a cheap zero gravity recliner (I bought mine from Kmart for $49.95) which is ideal for Bino viewing.
Old 14-11-2008, 01:33 PM
nightsky
Aus Irish Bi Cen Flag

G'Day Brett,
Good write up mate,I often do the same,just laying on my deck chair and look around with my 10x50 when I don't feel like looking through the scope makes a bit of a change
Cheers
Arthur
Old 14-11-2008, 01:53 PM
andrewk_82 (Andrew)

Hi Brett,
Those bino's should be a good start into astronomy. I've just bought a 10" dob and still use my bino's nearly as much as I did before, when I can't be bothered dragging the telescope out.

I don't see why you couldn't see the bands in Jupiter with those if you have sharp vision. I can see the bands in my 60mm Tasco refractor with crappy cheap eyepieces at 28X.

M31 and also M33 look good throgh binos so when you get a chance have a look at these. Also Omega Centauri is also very good.

Good luck with it and enjoy!

Cheers
Old 14-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Dog Star (Phil)
I'm bloody serious

G'day Brett,
Those 20x80's from Andrews are nice nokkies indeed. I've had a pair for about 18 months now and they've been a great introduction to the night sky. Bought a 12" Dob about 6 months ago but I still set the nokkies up on the tripod beside the Dob whenever I'm out for the night. Some nights I just use the nokkies (too tired, cold, lazy, whatever)
As for seeing the bands on Jupiter; Yep. As long as it's a moonless night with reasonable seeing, I can make them out fairly easily once my eyes are dark adjusted and my eyes are over half a century old (I'd order a new pair but I can't find a link on the net anywhere)
Keep enjoying the nokkies mate. There will probably come a time when you'll want a scope, but you'll find that the nokkies will continue to play a considerable part in your viewing for any number of reasons.
Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum mate.
Old 14-11-2008, 09:10 PM
norm

to the forum Brett!!!

Cheers,

Norm
Old 15-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

These bino's sound cool i might just have to add them to my xmas list
Old 15-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Dog Star (Phil)
I'm bloody serious

They're a great addition to your kit, Jen.
Just be aware that they are large (like 2 wine bottles stuck together) and heavy. You'll need a tripod to mount them on to really get the best out of them and a decent tripod will probably cost slightly more than the nokkies themselves.
Not trying to put you off; just want to see you set up correctly.
Old 15-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Kevnool (Kev)
Fast Scope & Fast Engine

2 Bottles of wine Jen i just cant see that being a big hurdle for ya

Bino,s are great now be a good girl and get in ya order b4 its to late.
Cheers Kev.

Last edited by Kevnool; 15-11-2008 at 06:45 PM. Reason: typo,s again
Old 15-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Star View Post
They're a great addition to your kit, Jen.
Just be aware that they are large (like 2 wine bottles stuck together) and heavy. You'll need a tripod to mount them on to really get the best out of them and a decent tripod will probably cost slightly more than the nokkies themselves.
Not trying to put you off; just want to see you set up correctly.
thanks for the tips Phil woah i didnt think they were that big well i was thinking if santa was really nice to me he would give me a new mount & tripod for my scope then i could use the
old one to put the bino's on right hahaha (if thats how it works)
Old 15-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnool View Post
2 Bottles of wine Jen i just cant see that being a big hurdle for ya

Bino,s are great now be a good girl and get in ya order b4 its to late.
Cheers Kev.
lol Kev your right i can carry a slab no probs, so 2 bottles of wine piece of cake hahaha how am i supposed to be a good girl for a whole month