Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-10-2007, 08:36 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

Buy local or ship?

Hi all.. first post after much perusing.

Getting into astronomy, yada yada.. I'll have my standard 'which scope?' thread up soon, but have another question first.

Simply this: is it better to buy locally than to order from interstate? I'm thinking about the convenience of a local place for dropping in with questions, possible issues, etc. as opposed to (maybe) being able to save a few bucks ordering in from elsewhere.

(I'm just 20 min from the Camberwell, Vic, Bintel store. Dropped in yesterday and had a great chat. Got to see some dobs (12"+ truss dobs) in the flesh for the first time and realised how big those buggers are. Have to wait a few weeks for a shipment of Bintel dobs comes in to see < 12" examples, but I digress.)

Anyway, I'm thinking if I narrow my searching to just local stores it might save me time and effort.

On that last thought, what are my other 'local' stores? I'm in Melb SE suburbs. It seems like Astronomy Alive in Bentleigh (appointment only) which is even closer to me, and York Optical in the city are about it. I'm favouring Bintel at the moment.

Last edited by programmer; 15-10-2007 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Correction: I had incorrectly named Chadstone as location of Bintel
Old 14-10-2007, 09:10 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

No idea what they are like down there as I am in Sydney but I am a beginner too any am very pleased wit the service from Bintel.

Roger
Old 14-10-2007, 09:25 PM
leon

Yep, Bintel will look after you, and as you say, being so close to the store makes good sense in case you need advice, or worse still repairs or warranty replacements.

leon
Old 14-10-2007, 09:55 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

Thanks for the quick responses.

I'm in no doubt Bintel are experts in their field. I found them pleasantly approachable and keen enough to help yet another noob.

The more I think about my main question though (local vs. interstate) the more I think how inconvenient it would be (for a beginner like me) to NOT have the local support, just in case.

Edit: leon, really fantastic images you have there!
Old 14-10-2007, 10:47 PM
leon

Thank you for that kind comment, i haven't been doing this for long, so i still have heaps to learn, but i am pleased with the results so far.

Leon
Old 15-10-2007, 12:42 AM
Stephen65

I live a couple of hundred meters from the Melbourne Bintel store, I can recommend them for good quality service and good prices. Other than Bintel the only other Melbourne store I've needed to deal with is Kirks Cameras in Ringwood (they sell Pentax eyepieces which Bintel don't), otherwise I buy from interstate (Andrews Comms in Sydney are good to deal with) or overseas (OPT in California).
Old 15-10-2007, 12:52 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

I know from experience that Bintel (Melbourne) will look after you and help you set up your equipment no matter where you buy your telescope. Which is why you should buy your telescope from Bintel - if that makes sense
Old 15-10-2007, 12:59 AM
Stephen65

That's certainly true, neither of my scopes is from Bintel but only because I wanted particular brands they do not sell (WO and Tak). But I bought my mount (EQ-6), many eyepieces and accessories and a DMK camera from them. In fact their shop being about a minute away from where I live is a constant temptation. They've always been extremely helpful despite me not buying my scopes from them, right now they are making a custom adaptor for me.
Old 15-10-2007, 08:08 AM
OneOfOne (Trevor)
Meteor & fossil collector

I have bought a lot of stuff from Bintel and their service is beyond excellent, but if you are looking for equipment from manufacturers they don't stock (eg. Celestron) you still have a few other choices. So to be fair these are the Melbourne ones I am aware of, sorry for any I missed.

Bintel, Burke Rd
York, Flinders St
Astro Optical, Nepean Hwy?
Kirks, Maronndah Hwy?

Grab a copy of one of the Australian magazines (Sky & Space, Australian Sky & Telescope) and have a look through the ads.

There are definite advantages to buying locally, but I have bought a lot of stuff locally, interstate and international and have never had a problem with any of the suppliers.
Old 15-10-2007, 10:02 AM
programmer
Computer tragic

Question

All good feedback, thanks again. Yes I have been reading Sky & Telescope which is how I got onto Bintel. Have perused their site quite a bit too. Can't see myself going other than local, and Bintel is definitely looking like 'it'. Just waiting for their Bintel dobs to come in and I'll have a squiz...

In the meantime, does anybody have experience dealing with Astronomy Alive in Bentleigh, Vic? I work nearby and thought I might arrange a time to drop in and see them. http://www.astronomyalive.com.au/

Thanks.
Old 16-10-2007, 02:59 PM
kosh

Stephen65,

Did you get a scope from OPT or just something smaller?
Old 17-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Meadehead

I can also vouch for Bintel

I had a fault a few days after purchase and Anthony gave me a choice of Repair, Replace or Upgrade.... so I took the upgrade
Old 18-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Stephen65

kosh

Just accessories like eyepieces, filters etc

Stephen
Old 18-10-2007, 12:03 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadehead View Post
I can also vouch for Bintel

I had a fault a few days after purchase and Anthony gave me a choice of Repair, Replace or Upgrade.... so I took the upgrade
Wow.. upgrade? That's great!