Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 24-09-2007, 02:52 PM
okiscopey (Mike)
Rocky Peak Observatory

Seems like this has all gone a bit haywire.

Bookish Neptune simply asked if the site was accurate and was advised to look at various planetarium programs by xelasnave. I'd suggest 'Stellarium' (free) or a basic Starry Night Pro (for a few dollars). They're all very accurate.

BN's 'theory' is considered to be in the realm of pseudo science or worse to everyone here, but there's no need to savage the poster, especially considering he was invited by one of us to say what his theory was.

There must be some more important things to rage about.
Old 24-09-2007, 03:18 PM
avandonk
avandonk

I am very sorry but if this person wants to pursue a psuedo science don't come here. He may be after accurate sky maps but he will find that astrology is out by about Zodiac constellation due to precession of the poles.

There are plenty of sites he could have got the information and not peddle his idiotic ideas.

I do not resile from my immediate reaction.

And yes looking at my vomit pattern works just as well for fortelling the future!

Bert
Old 24-09-2007, 03:26 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Why did you have to bring that up Bert
alex
Pun intended? if so that was pretty clever. hehe...
Old 24-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Bookish Neptune
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by avandonk View Post
I am very sorry but if this person wants to pursue a psuedo science don't come here. He may be after accurate sky maps but he will find that astrology is out by about Zodiac constellation due to precession of the poles.

There are plenty of sites he could have got the information and not peddle his idiotic ideas.

I do not resile from my immediate reaction.

And yes looking at my vomit pattern works just as well for fortelling the future!

Bert
But your missing my whole idea. I am simply thinking that there are people who do indeed believe that particular alignments have meaning, and they in fact act upon it. Not me.

You hear bomb and think I'm spreading some crazy idea that I can predict the future. That's not it at all. What I am trying to establish, based off what I think, is that certain events could be directly related to the way other people, humans, perceive the alignments.

Meaning, humans perceive the alignments and act upon it. Such as religions and such. People all over the world dictate their lives by certain alignments. This is well known. Do I personally believe in it? No I don't.

You are misjudging my character based on a few simple lines of text.

I don't perceive the alignments at all. Hence my previous statements saying that I claim to be no expert and have limited knowledge to astronomy and astrology.
Old 24-09-2007, 03:42 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Bookish, if you want to use planetarium software to try to tell the future that's totally up to you. If it make you happy, go for it! For Windows Cartes du Ciel is a good free one. These programs are very accurate.

But as Bert points out and afaik astrology is still using a 2000 year old star map that is about a month out when superimposed on solar system objects. Makes no sense to me whatsoever - using present day positions for planets, Moon and the Sun but 2000 year old positions for stars. You'd think at least one should try to be consistent, i.e. use 2000 yo planets, moon + sun with 2000 yo stars, or present day planets, moon + sun with present day stars, but astrology does not work that way. (it does not work at all afaic but that's another issue)
Old 24-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Bookish Neptune
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by janoskiss View Post
Bookish, if you want to use planetarium software to try to tell the future that's totally up to you. If it make you happy, go for it!
I'm starting feel harshly misunderstood, but thanks for the links.
Old 24-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Jarrod
Professor Chaos

i don't think its fair to blame fellow members of IIS for starting this whole situation.

'Bookish Neptune' did not need to tell us why he/she wanted to use sky mapping software. even the name of the thread "Working On A Theory...." was completly off topic. A title along the lines of "Online Sky mapping software?" would have been fine. 'Bookish Neptune' should have known better then to talk about his/her apocalyptic delusions on a forum dedicated to science.

Jarrod.
Old 24-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Bookish Neptune
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post
'Bookish Neptune' should have known better then to talk about his/her apocalyptic delusions on a forum dedicated to science.
How should I have known better? I've followed all the rules of the forum and have been considerate throughout.

What you're saying is that any mention of anything on this web site not solely involved in astronomy is not appropriate right? How do come to the conclusion that one should not discuss topics of which you do not agree with?

Where in the real world, in the flesh do you go around telling people "you can't talk about that"? So how come you do that to me?

Last edited by Bookish Neptune; 24-09-2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old 24-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Jarrod
Professor Chaos

my piont is more about the fact that you made the whole theme of your post about your idea's, and not about the software. you should have just kept it a simple question regarding software.

you didnt need to mention having a 'theory' in the first place.

jarrod.
Old 24-09-2007, 04:23 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Bookish I have not read your last post before I replied, but in any case I don't really care whether you believe in astrology or not. Bert and I'm sure few others have a strong views on the topic and no one is likely to change that. As for what should or should not be posted, let the TOS be your guide.
Old 24-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Bookish Neptune
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by janoskiss View Post
As for what should or should not be posted, let the TOS be your guide.
Have I followed the above agreement as per said?

Also, I have not made any attempts to change anyone's mind or press information on anyone. I have simply defended my motives. I'm sure that's clear.
Old 24-09-2007, 05:03 PM
joe_smith

Hmmmm nice friendly replies to his theory and not much about the original question. Another good program, also free is this one http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/

just my 2c..........................

History dose prove mankind dose not like different ideas that differ from ones we are force fed since birth. Why do some people oppose a different change of thought to there own, so strongly sometimes with violence. To me the study of science is just as much a pseudo science as the rest of them. our current findings do not answer all the questions and has many holes and missing bits to it as well. Maybe the missing bits will be found in the most unlikely places. Closed minds are dangerous minds for the development of man kind for the future. Why cant we go faster than the speed of light? Didn't the science of old say if a carriage went a certain speed all the air would be suck out? The sound barrier couldn't be broken? Man would never fly? and the list goes one.................. The theory that says we cant go faster than light is an incomplete theory, but one we keep because its all we have, to me that is a idiotic idea

With all the research being done in the real world could someone here tell me, where did all the matter in the universe come from? and as the universe is expanding, what is it expanding into and where did it come from? 2 simple questions about the beginning of the universe surely some one knows because Astronomy is a real sicence and not pseudo science full of idiotic ideas.
Old 24-09-2007, 05:11 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Joe an infinite Universe need not be asked such questions.... it has always been so we do not have to consider a start or what it "floats"in...
But thats just my unique view ..in fact so unique I am possibly the only one that supports it..

alex
Old 24-09-2007, 05:36 PM
joe_smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post
my piont is more about the fact that you made the whole theme of your post about your idea's, and not about the software. you should have just kept it a simple question regarding software.
you didnt need to mention having a 'theory' in the first place.

jarrod.
He only stated he had a theory. He was asked about it and being a nice guy he told them. Not just for you, to the person that asked and those that were also interested. If you don't like what you see change the channel. Not every one here has a closed mind and some like reading about different types of thinking us humans have. After all we are all different, and we can learn from each other as people, that what separates us from the apes, not just judge them on something that interests them.

Quote:
it has always been so we do not have to consider a start or what it "floats"in...
Alex thats sounds like a good theory mate, is that also like "Just put it in the to hard basket".
Old 24-09-2007, 05:48 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Please can the moderator shut this down. I am feeling nauseous again!
The worst part is my whole future is in front of me!

I cannot and will not respond to this utter utter crap!

I told you what you can do, get software to satisfy your wants.

Bert

Last edited by iceman; 24-09-2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old 24-09-2007, 05:56 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Joe said....Alex thats sounds like a good theory mate, is that also like "Just put it in the to hard basket".

Not a theory Joe I can offer no observation only the idea....but I like that concept it takes us further than a point that we can not go past.

I can understand what our friend Bookish is saying... I think he feels there are people who plan their actions after they have checked their stars... no doubt such could be true... I think he is trying to relate activities that may be guided so...
I suspect he is seeking if any patterns are there... but thats what I gather from his posts.
I suppose folk are waiting for me to say sorry I asked but well I am not..
All I would ask Bookish is not to take anything personally as most times folk respond to the situation they percieve which can often be a little different to the one at hand... so much can be lost when trying to communicate ones ideas...

Anyways we go on all ahppy I hope.
alex
Old 24-09-2007, 06:04 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookish Neptune View Post
Have I followed the above agreement as per said?

Also, I have not made any attempts to change anyone's mind or press information on anyone. I have simply defended my motives. I'm sure that's clear.
All I am saying is don't worry about what other posters are saying about what you should and should not post. IIS does not operate by peer review. The shoulds and should nots are stated, as clearly as possible and practical, in the IIS Terms of Service.
Old 24-09-2007, 06:33 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Question asked and answered.
Closed Thread