Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-05-2007, 05:00 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Astronomy books go out of date pretty quick, but the information in the older editions is still fairly sound.
You'll be surprised what you can pick up 2nd hand. From the Life Line Book Fest I got for my boys-
Our Solar System by Isaac Asimov
Space The New Frontier by Colin Burgess

Check out the Astronomy section in the bigger book stores and there is usually a few books there with small words and big pictures.
Old 30-05-2007, 05:48 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Is your son interested in wildlife/birdwatching? The only downside of a Dob/reflector is that they aren't much use during the day, whereas a small refractor can be used on a camera tripod for any kind of viewing. Something to consider, maybe.

Morton
Old 30-05-2007, 06:10 PM
mwill76

OMG I hadn't actually realised how big the 8" dobs were until I looked at another thread that also contained pictures!

Well, that totally puts my earlier question asking if it was put on a table for viewing to shame, hahahahaha!!!!

I can now see all the pro's concerning a dob for a child now, they look excellent. Think I'm starting to get excited about the chance to star gaze as well.

I will also suggest to my son to borrow from the library and pick up books that interest him. Just need to work out 'how' to find the planets and star clusters etc, I'm sure we'll have fun trying anyway.

M
Old 30-05-2007, 07:09 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Hi mwill76
You could download Cartes du ceil, it is an free program that will show you the night sky in realtime.
http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/
With this program it is easy to find objects (relatively )
Old 31-05-2007, 05:31 PM
mwill76

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill View Post
Hi mwill76
You could download Cartes du ceil, it is an free program that will show you the night sky in realtime.
http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/
With this program it is easy to find objects (relatively )
Thanks Mill, I will take a look at that
Old 31-05-2007, 06:06 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill76 View Post
Thanks for all the replys!

Ok so I take it from the posts so far that 'refractors' are the better option (at least in this case) over 'reflectors'?

Thanks for the links also, good to have a look at prices etc, I couldn't find many sites when I googled this afternoon!

M
No that is completely incorrect. With young children they need the "wow factor" at the eyepiece to keep up their interest in the hobby. In this regard the largest telescope they can comfortably handle will provide the greatest wow factor. A larger reflector will always clearly outperform a small refractor. Further a small refractor, which shows pretty dim images, on a less than stable mount will only succeed in frustrating them and driving them away from the hobby.

As some have already suggested a 6" to 8" dob would be a perfect choice. It is a telescope he will grow into, not out of.

CS-John B
Old 20-07-2007, 08:30 PM
mwill76

I wanted to update and thank all those that posted and helped in the decision making process.

We purchased an 8" skywatcher for our 7 year old budding astronomer and what can I say he is in love with the thing!!!

Haven't managed to find many objects as yet, but just the moon is amazing to look at.

Have only 10 and 25mm eye pieces- any recs on what to use to get greater detail for looking at Venus and Saturn?
Old 21-07-2007, 07:26 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Great news, i'm glad he likes it.

The 10mm would be ok in average seeing on Venus and Saturn (and don't forget Jupiter!!), but maybe a 6mm or 7mm would be good for the nights when the seeing is even better, giving you more magnification.

Venus and Saturn are very low in the sky at the moment - try viewing Jupiter, it's the brightest star in the East directly overhead about 8-9pm.
Old 21-07-2007, 07:36 AM
snug

Hi

Congrats on the scope. As far as books go..(my daughter 12ys..and i are absolute beginners) Initially we bought both the Steve Massey ones ('Night Sky' & 'Exploring the Moon')..

The book on the moon has become hers and she reads it each night then goes and checks things in her bino's. She uses this in conjunction with 'Virtual Moon Atlas' (free software u can download).

At dinner I will say 'Whats happening with the moon tonight' and she will give me an update and i have let her become the 'expert' in that area and judge if we will take the scope out. I know its early days but motivation is still high. Her science teacher is aware of her interest and encourages her with this...

I think astronomy its a great thing for kids to get into as it opens up so many areas for discussion and broadens her view of the world...

So again congratulations and i hope u have as much fun as us...

Snug

PS..cant help u with the eyepeice question though as im really trying to get a handle on it myself ...
Old 21-07-2007, 08:53 AM
mwill76

Thanks for that info, will go and order some lenses today.

Not knowing much about it all as yet it's very handy to get all the tips from you experts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Great news, i'm glad he likes it.

The 10mm would be ok in average seeing on Venus and Saturn (and don't forget Jupiter!!), but maybe a 6mm or 7mm would be good for the nights when the seeing is even better, giving you more magnification.

Venus and Saturn are very low in the sky at the moment - try viewing Jupiter, it's the brightest star in the East directly overhead about 8-9pm.
Old 21-07-2007, 08:58 AM
mwill76

Hi Snug, hope you and your daughter have many years of fun with your scope. I think it's the best investment we have ever made. Like you said it opens up so many different areas. My son has two astronomy books and I also have a folder that I print out the sky map for the month on from www.skymaps.com so he can see whats happening out there.

Michelle
Old 21-07-2007, 10:01 AM
WadeH (Wade)
WadeH

Good to follow your progress mwill76, sounds like you and your son will have a great time learning this interesting pastime we call fun.

As for lens's, I would make the first buy a 2X barlow. They are cheap and effectivly give you two lens's almost for the price of one! The 10mm becomes 5mm and the 25 becomes 12mm and so on.
Old 22-07-2007, 12:20 PM
mwill76

Any recs on which barlow to get? After looking through various threads I don't think it's necessary to go for a shorty barlow with a dob - is that correct?

Am looking at some GSO branded eyepieces and perhaps a barlow as well, $39 a piece and from the reviews I think they are not too bad of an option for beginners.

Michelle
Old 22-07-2007, 12:37 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Michelle
The GSO 2x barlow will get you buy, but the best quality "budget" one by all reports is the Orion Shorty Plus. I think they've come down in price a bit and are pretty reasonable for good quality.
Old 22-07-2007, 01:09 PM
mwill76

Ok, thanks for the tip, had read a lot of good things about the orions, how are the GSO ep's compared to others?

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Hi Michelle
The GSO 2x barlow will get you buy, but the best quality "budget" one by all reports is the Orion Shorty Plus. I think they've come down in price a bit and are pretty reasonable for good quality.
Old 22-07-2007, 01:49 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

The GSO's are ok for a starting eyepiece. I started out with GSO's as do most people who buy the GSO dobs (they come with the scope, so it's a given).

For the price they're ok, but they have abberations around the edges. The difference with a good quality eyepiece is a lot, but so is the price.

Get some experience observing first and try and have a look through some other people's eyepieces (at star parties, observing meets etc) so you can get a feel for the quality.

A barlow is a must though, if you buy the Orion short plus, you won't need to replace that, ever.
Old 22-07-2007, 04:44 PM
mwill76

The orion shorty seems like the one to get by the sounds of things and that should keep us going for a bit long anyway.

I don't see the point in buying cheap eyepieces only to have to replace them down the track, it's not like they wear out or anything! In saying that though I don't think budget wise (and for use mainly for a 7 year old) that we'll be spending more than $100 per ep. The Barlow is a different story though due to it's adaptability.

Thanks!

M