Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-03-2007, 12:53 AM
shaneaust (Mick)

Have you collimated your scope lately?

The only reason I am including this in the Beginners section is because I was a rank beginner not so long ago, and the idea of touching either of my 2 mirrors was harrowing. My attitude was "I'm not gonna mess with this thing - I dont know enough about it, and, besides, it's new and so it should be fine".

After using it for a couple of years, I finally sold it because I just wasn't getting the views I once did...wonder why??

It wasn't until much later that I realised that the scope had been actually pretty good for a Department store scope, and there was nothing structurally wrong with it - it just hadn't been collimated in 2 years!

Newbies - please read the plethora of articles and "how-to's" available on the Internet (just google "telescope collimation", without the inverted commas), and pick out a method you want to start with, and feel most comfortable with. Then - take the plunge and check your instrument for proper collimation.

Word of advice - if you need to adjust the primary mirror by removing it from the tube (for whatever reason...), get yourself a pair of white cotton gloves to wear when touching the mirror. You'll minimise the chance of leaving your fingerprints on the face of the mirror. I learned this little trick too late, with another scope, and I couldve kicked myself for not thinking of it first. So, never touch that mirror with your bare hands.

Good luck - and if your scope is out of collimation badly, get ready to grin, cos when you properly get those mirrors in line, you're gonna see a BIG difference in the skies!
Old 22-03-2007, 05:50 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Couldn't agree more!
Old 22-03-2007, 08:47 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Check my collimation EVERY session, only takes a few minutes at the most.

As for the white gloves. Fair enough BUT you should nver be touching the mirror surface anyway, gloves or not.

Cheers
Old 22-03-2007, 11:26 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

I always check the collimation if the scope has travelled in the car to the observing spot.
Otherwise I only do it when I feel it needs it.
Old 22-03-2007, 12:06 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

i havent even used my scope for ages
bad weather and the flu put a stop to that!

collimate guys, dont put it off. your views will improve with a well collimated scope
Old 22-03-2007, 12:18 PM
middy

I haven't been game to try it yet, but I am starting to feel more comfortable having a go at tweaking it now the scope is almost 12 months old.

When I do the defocus star test I see concentric rings with no offset, so maybe the collimation is still OK yet.
Old 22-03-2007, 12:28 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

well if it doesnt need doing then you dont need to do it andrew.. you know, if it aint broke...

just one thing tho. when you are doing your star test you should be going just a bit out of focus either side. if you go too far then its gunna look round no matter how baddly collimated it is
Old 22-03-2007, 03:29 PM
astro_nutt

Couldn't agree with you more Ving..the image should look the same on either side of focus..rings and all..as for collimating...check it after any trip in the car or at least twice a year if on a fixed mount..and a full measurement and alignment check at least once a year.
Cheers!
Old 23-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Collimation should be one of those things you check as part of setting up. If you can't collimate in under 5 min, you should practice until you can. One very useful trick is to label the screws on the back of the mirror A, B C. Then at the eyepice end stick on a diagram like the one shown in the thumbnail. This tells you what direction the reflection of the diagonal moves when you screw in a particular collimation screw (which you originally work out by trial).
Geoff
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0717.jpg)
80.4 KB6 views
Old 23-03-2007, 02:42 PM
silwat

It's very easy for beginners to be content with the views through their scopes straight out of the box. Not knowing any better I was happy with what I saw through my scope and left the mirrors un-touched. That was until Iceman collimated it for me and suddenly my eyes were opened to a whole new sky.

Moral of the story: Beginners, Collimate your scopes!! (It's well worth the effort!)