Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 10:16 AM
kim

jupiter

Wow! I had to sit up till 2am lastnight, but was determined to see juipter, was very pleased and I got to see 3 moons but Jupiter diddnt have any detail may be because there was some thin cloud around and it was rising over near the city. Was hopeing to see some banding but maybe I never will with my equipment, I am using my 114mm-9000mm Bushmaster eq mount with a 2x Barlow 12mm lens. I have now been given a Meade DS-2114S goto scope {some moto problems}with bad collimination problems 114mm-1000mm short barrel with inbuild barlow in lens [thanks for on of the guys on this site pointing out the difference] I have been practising my collimination skills on the Meade getting there I think. All this cheap equipment is makeing me want a DOB even more, the thing is I want to take photo's in the long run if I get a DOB some say it is possible.
Loved the recent photo of the nebula fantastic colours, you guys are great on the photographing just enjoy looking at the new pic's listed.
kim
Old 11-03-2007, 11:54 AM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

Here is a comparison I just put together.

Firstly Jupiter really must be viewed nice and high in the sky 50+ degrees and then the "seeing" must be really great to see lotsa detail.

I would wait right up until 6am to get a lovely view. Also with the sky lightening with dawn, jupiter does look really nice.

You can get a DOB to track ie with an eq platform or with a dob driver or kill the dob mount and put the tube on an eq mount. either way is many hundreds if not $1000+ to do.

Do you have a feel of what you saw based on image?

I would also be keen to see what others have seen thru the eyepiece on great "seeing" nights
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (jupiter_different_mags.jpg)
60.4 KB55 views
Old 11-03-2007, 12:21 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

I have been getting good views about 4am, Jupiter is high in the sky and the atmosphere has settled as much as it will for the night. Don't even try planetary observing when the object is below 40 degrees from the horizon if you are after details. BUT , of course, Venus and Mercury have to be viewed below this angle so its always a tradeoff.

Keep looking up
Old 13-03-2007, 10:57 PM
TV76

I've only really used a Televue 76mm refractor on Jupiter over the last 3-4 years. I've found that Jupiter placed higher in the sky is a obvious plus and observing in the twlight hours both everning and morning really helps and have seen the GRS, moon transits, the main equitorial belts, and some diffinition in the main two belts when seeing has been optimum.

Based on reviews etc, I puchased the Baader Moon & SkyGlow Filter which I found useful in enhancing the features of Jupiter that are in reach of a 76mm refractor.

Mount used includes both the Televue Telepod and Dismount DM6. Most used eyepiece is the Televue 3-6mm Zoom which is very useful for dialing in the magnification. I usually find circa 120x to be optimum.

Alec
Old 14-03-2007, 02:51 PM
fringe_dweller
on the highway to Hell

get the dob Kim, you know you want it! I envy your first time looks buzz! I remember it well

btw bloody nice presentation/comparison DP!
Old 15-03-2007, 09:24 PM
kim

Of course I realy want a DOB and will probably have one by the end of the year , at least I am learning my way around the skies with these two scopes I have at present, I even managed to collimate the meade. Viewed Saturn last night while it was high up in the sky which gave me a better view, the skies in melbourne were quite good last night lots of extra stars but I couldn't stay up to the wee hours to view jupiter will have to learn to get up early. Someone on the forum had a link to Cartes du Ciel, this programe is great, thankyou everyone here is very helpfull.
Old 15-03-2007, 09:43 PM
DobDobDob (Ron)
Blacktown isn't so black

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim View Post
Someone on the forum had a link to Cartes du Ciel, this programe is great, thankyou everyone here is very helpfull.
Here are a few more great links:

http://www.ngcic.org/dss/dss_ngc.asp
http://www.skyviewcafe.com/skyview.php
http://www.siowl.com/scripts/ObsDatabaseRed.php
http://www.ngc891.com/modules.php?op...ars&file=chart
Old 15-03-2007, 10:38 PM
kim

Thanks for the links, checking them out now.