Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-05-2024, 11:00 AM
notsamj (Sam)

Mirrorless Astro Mods in Australia

Hi Everyone,

I've been looking at some mirrorless cams lately and was curious to know what sort of astro modding services people generally recommend nowadays in Australia.

To provide some context, buying a new modded Sony A7III from LifePixel (reputable modder) in the USA is about the same price as a new unmodded A7IV locally. The benefit to buying from LifePixel is that I'd only pay shipping one way and don't need to worry about any extra costs whereas I'd likely want to mod the A7IV down the road.

The A7IV is much more desirable for general landscape photography so I'm curious if services exist in Australia that would allow me to mod my A7IV at a later date. Alternatively, buying either cam used (unmodded) and then having it modded at a later date would also save a lot of money.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 18-05-2024, 09:10 PM
Geochron (Jon)

Hi Sam,

I have used Camera Clinic in Melbourne for a full spectrum mod. Very happy with the result.

https://www.cameraclinic.com.au/inde...ull%20spectrum

This was actually for IR landscape photography but you can just as easily add dual band astro (or any other) filters to achieve the effects that you want once you have full spectrum capability.

Jon.
Old 19-05-2024, 09:35 AM
Geochron (Jon)

P.S. here is a good (but not cheap, unfortunately) source for astro clip-in filters. They have various types available from simple nightscape to duo-narrowband.
https://www.stcoptics.com/products/a...r5-fx3-cameras