Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2006, 10:06 PM
hj47

Alternative to autostar suite- Help!

Hey guys, new to the forum and I have a question regarding software for the Meade LPI imager. I bought this a while ago and tried to install the software, autostar suite but to no avail. The CD would just hang in the cd drive, and at times when the CD did load, the installer would stall and hang halfway during the installation with an error about the CD image. Now I am wondering if Autostar suite is required for the imaging of planets and the moon with the LPI, or if I could get another piece of image capturing software. Another thing I want to clarify is if the LPI is a webcam, or just a CCD imaging device. My telescope is the meade LX90 x8, if you need to know.

Cheers guys
Old 08-10-2006, 10:10 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

hj

The LPI is not a webcam, it is a dedicated CCD imager. From memory you do need the genuine Autostar suite for the camera to operate.

What are the details of the computer you are trying to load it onto?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:13 PM
hj47

Hey, thanks for the fast reply. My pc is pretty crappy, 2.6 GhZ Celeron, 256 megs of ram, windows XP service pack II.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:21 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

If you are running XP then your machine should have enough grunt to run Autostar. Did you buy the LPI new from a retail store or second hand?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:24 PM
hj47

I bought it brand new from bintel. I believe the CD is stuffed because the image on the cd wasnt burnt properly. I think its got nothing to do with the pc as ive tried to run the software on several computers.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:27 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Have you rung Bintel yet? The guys there are pretty good. The other thing is to try to find someone else in your area that has an LPI. As a legitimate owner you are entitled to a functioning program. Someone may be prepared to copy it for you. My first call though would be to Bintel.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:20 AM
acropolite (Phil)

You can download the autostar suite and latest drivers from the US Meade website. From memory there is an order in which the software must be loaded otherwise it won't function correctly. That may be part of your problem. The original note that came with my Autostar suite said
Quote:
Do Not Reboot your computer during the installation of the entire Autostar Suite software. If a window appears during the installation of any part of the Autostar Suite Software, asking whether to reboot the PC click NO and reboot the PC at the end of the entire installation. The installation is complete when the Meade splash screen reappears. If the PC is rebooted prior to completion of the full installation then installation must be repeated
HTH.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:38 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Get onto Bintel post haste, they will set you right.

BUT you can run an LPI with other software, have a look at this site for some more info.

BTW welcome to IIS