Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-06-2006, 12:20 AM
shanegtr

Hello everyone

Hi, my names Shane and Im up in Karratha in WA. I've just decided that after spending many hours just looking at the sky when camping that I want to see things a bit closer, so Im going to buy a telescope. I'm lucky up here because I dont have to drive very far at all to get complete darkness. At the moment I'm doing my homework as to what is some good equipment to buy. I will be down in Perth in November so I have plenty of time to decide what I want . Wheres a good place to buy telescopes in perth? Is there any good website's about choosing a telescope that you recommend? What do you guys use?
Firstly I guess I'll be looking at the planets, being the closest objects to see and all. Then I wouldnt mind having a look into deeper space. I have no objection paying for quality equipment, because I dont want to be selling after realising what I brought was crap . Lastly(I think ) whats a good star map/atlas. Anyway, I look forward to your replies.
Old 25-06-2006, 12:31 AM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Hi Shane & welcome to IIS. We really need to know your budget before offering advise.
Old 25-06-2006, 12:41 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Shane!

Dob. Dob dob. Dob dob dob. If you have less than about $2000 to spend on a scope and accessories, buy a Dobsonian. These telescopes give you the most aperture per dollar (with good optics). It sounds like you have terrific skies so I'd be going for a 10 or 12" Dob to make the most of it.

Not a Perth shop but these guys are good to deal with and have GS Dobs truss or solid tube: www.bintelshop.com.au
For an 8 or 10" solid tube I'd go with a SkyWatcher though: www.myastroshop.com.au

Let us know what you are willing to spend. If you have lots more to spend, then maybe an 8" Dob is a good starter --- because it will cost you peanuts, it's a very versatile and mobile scope, and lets you start observing quickly while you're deciding what to spend the bulk of your funds on.

good website? www.iceinspace.com.au Also lots of resources on www.cloudynights.com.au

Star atlas: google for Taki's star altas. There are two versions. Detailed and very detailed, or mag 6.5 and mag 8.5.
Old 25-06-2006, 06:56 AM
drmorbius (Randall)
and mini-Morbius too

Hey Shane,

Welcome aboard matey... you're certainly in the right spot.

I was in your shoes just a few months ago and just ordered my first scope two days ago (no, it's not here yet ). I can give you some advice from one newbie to another...

First... well, you've done it already... join IIS and listen to what these guys (and girls) have to say. Trawl through the beginners forum, the projects form, the equipment forum... aw, bugger it, go throught them all... There's a weath of information. In particular, my favourite article: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ead.php?t=5953.

And second, join a club or catch up with other IIS members in your area. Being able to try different scopes made it much easier to appreciate what I was getting into.

Personally, I followed the standard advice and bought binoculars first. If nothing else, that satissfied me enough that I could put off the urge to rush down to K-Mart and buy that reasonably-priced, but totally useless, Tasco on special. I ended up purchasing an 8" GSO Dob from Andrews. I wanted a 12" (actually I wanted a 20") but had to keep to my budget.

I was just out with the IIS crew at Cambroon last night and the knowledge you can get from these guys just makes this hobby even more exciting. But I'll warn you... and Gargoyle_Steve summed it up best last night:

"Amateur astronomy is like those diagrams physicists use to show how black holes warp the fabric of space. You know, there's this flat plane with a deep hole in the middle that drops into infinity... you're standing on the edge of that hole and about to get sucked in"

Have fun matey!

Last edited by drmorbius; 25-06-2006 at 07:17 AM.
Old 25-06-2006, 06:56 AM
shanegtr

To be honest, I hadnt really thought of a budget. I've got a few months till I make the purchase and I've only started looking in the last few days, so I'm still finding out whats cheap, mid range and expensive But then again I suppose you could buy a car cheaper than some telescopes out on the market
I'm also wondering what sort of carry cases they come in. I'm most likely going to take it out bush when camping, and up here that mainly means lots of corrigated dirt roads. Would it be worth getting case made up?

Anyway I'll let you guys know of a rough budget as soon as I have a bit more of a look around, but in the mean time keep the sugestions coming.
Old 25-06-2006, 09:58 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

You can get an excellent scope from around $400 in a 6" or 8" Dobsonian. But you can spend many $1000s if you're so inclined.

Cost of the scope breaks down to:
- cost of telescope OTA (tube + optics) from least to most expensive: Newtonians, Cassegrains, achromats, apochromats.
- and cost of mount from least: Dobsonian (supplied with some Newts), alt-azimuth (AZ - for small scopes), fork (supplied with some SCTs), equatorial (EQ).

So Dobsonians give you the most telescope per dollar. A $450 8" Dob will show you as much stuff (maybe a little more even) as an $8000 apochromat, but to continue your car analogy, that is like saying a Holden will take you at least as far and just as fast as a Rolls Royce would. Most of us have Holdens that work well but many of us would still like to own a Rolls Royce as well for the occasional leisurely weekend drive in supreme comfort.

Check out this thread for photos of different types of scopes in the field: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ead.php?t=5075

Here are a few more Oz dealers I've dealt with, for you to check out (sorry none in WA):

www.andrewscom.com.au
www.astro-optical.com.au
www.telescopeshed.com.au
www.astronomy-electronics-centre.com.au
Old 25-06-2006, 10:33 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Welcome to IIS Shane, as Steve said, from around $400 up buys some decent equipment. If you're interested in go-to then the starting point for something useful is around $2-3k. If you're thinking of astrophotography then consider something with an equatorial mount. I have a go-to myself (Meade LX90) but you really can't go past a dob (8 inch or bigger) as value for money and performance.
Old 25-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Dujon
SKE

Hello, Shane.

As others have said, it depends on your budget and what you want to do with your telescope. A little bit of reading - even if you limit yourself to researching this site - will assist you in your final decision.

Equatorial mounts - that's the type that will allow you to nudge your 'scope in one direction and still stay on the object's path in the sky - will cost a few bob. Motorised units - which means no nudging is required - are even more expensive.

Altitude/Azimuth (Alt/Az) mounts are simply a way of allowing your telescope to be pushed or pulled in any and all directions. A Dobsonian mount is just one example of an alt/az. Unless you have some form of 'slow motion' control on an alt/az it is not recommended for photography (or 'imaging' as some call it).

As far as costs go: I recently purchased a 10" (252mm) Newtonian from Bintel in Sydney. The price included the 'scope (solid tube), three eye-pieces (26/15/9mm), a Dobsonian mount (in 'flat pack' form), an 8 x 50mm finder and five eye-piece filters (orange, green, blue, yellow and moon). I also bought a laser collimator. The total cost, including freight, was $804. The freight component was $75. From comments I have read on this site it would seem that it's not that much more expensive for interstate shipments.

Transporting a telescope is always somewhat fraught. Refracting telescopes will always travel better than will reflectors. Reflectors will, in a general sense, always need re-collimation (even though it might be just a tweak or two) while refractors will not. Nevertheless, if I were transporting mine, I would try to ensure that it was as protected as possible from the bumps and jolts which will inevitably occur. In your case I would suggest that such is essential.

Initially I would think that a decent piece of foam rubber in which to wrap the optical tube assembly (OTA) is the way to go. If you can get hold of a few bulky pieces of 'styrene you could then fashion a form of multi-cramped sections to add further protection.
Old 25-06-2006, 04:39 PM
shanegtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dujon

Transporting a telescope is always somewhat fraught. Refracting telescopes will always travel better than will reflectors. Reflectors will, in a general sense, always need re-collimation (even though it might be just a tweak or two) while refractors will not. Nevertheless, if I were transporting mine, I would try to ensure that it was as protected as possible from the bumps and jolts which will inevitably occur. In your case I would suggest that such is essential.
I guess the main concern is if the scope is going to be subjected to any damage during travel. Just looking at the size of the 8" and above dobs, I think the units might realistically be too big for taking away camping(not much room once the fridge, swags, food, beer etc.. is packed in ). Might be worth getting a smaller unit that is suitable to take away first and if the bug really bites then get a scope suitable for just getting out for a few hours on weekends. Decisions decisions
Old 25-06-2006, 05:06 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

G,day Shane good to see another West Aussie on IIS

My advice for equip, go the Dob. If portability is a concern a truss tube Dob like the Meade lightbridge would be ideal, the 200mm 'scope would be very portable.

As for Telescope shops in Perth? The main one is Binocular, telescope and optical world. another choice would be Midland camera house who sell the value for money Skywatcher telescopes. Personally I buy most of my stuff from over east, either Andrews communications or Bintel (Sydney) they are both good value and top service.
Old 26-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Dujon
SKE

Ah, yes, Shane. The practicalities of transport. I'd be quite interested to hear how others on this site cart their equipment around the countryside.

When I purchased my latest 'scope I made sure that I knew the length of the tube so as to ensure that it would fit into my car. What I didn't take into account (there's one born every day) was the sheer bulk of the Dobsonian mount. I could readily disassemble the thing but I'm not too sure as to what effect this would produce over multiple assemblies and knock-downs - it's only made of compressed wood fibres as best I can gather and such action (abuse?) could wind up leaving me with a rather wobbly mount.
Old 26-06-2006, 11:02 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanegtr
I guess the main concern is if the scope is going to be subjected to any damage during travel. Just looking at the size of the 8" and above dobs, I think the units might realistically be too big for taking away camping(not much room once the fridge, swags, food, beer etc.. is packed in ). Might be worth getting a smaller unit that is suitable to take away first and if the bug really bites then get a scope suitable for just getting out for a few hours on weekends. Decisions decisions
if a 8" dob OTA is a bit big fer ya then as already stated a meade lightbridge truss might be better... I am guessing that this will still take up considerable room. maybe a 8" mak? you get the long focal length but in half the space. they are fairly expensive tho... once again it comes down to your budget.

and welcome aboard
Old 26-06-2006, 11:15 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Depends on the sort of vehicle you have too. I can very comfortably transport an 8" Dob in a corolla hatchback: base standing up in boot, OTA across back seat or across one folded down seat and the boot. The latter method works for 12" solid tube dob too, and there is still room for driver + 2 passengers in the small car.
Old 26-06-2006, 03:55 PM
astro_nutt

[QUOTE=Dujon]Ah, yes, Shane. The practicalities of transport. I'd be quite interested to hear how others on this site cart their equipment around the countryside.

Interesting subject Dujon!!.. ..I made a half-shell insert for the optical tube of my 10" dob to fit East-West in the boot of a falcon sedan...made from the original packing boxes which cradles the tube and is held in place with bungee cords. The top section of the home-made mount sits ahead of the insert..the base sits strapped in on the back seat with the fold-up chairs and table...eyepiece case, tools, books, stove, snacks and drinks, tent, can all fit in the boot....which still leaves plenty of room for the hot tub:...LOL
Old 27-06-2006, 10:47 AM
shanegtr

Some might say that boot space is a non issue, I drive a landcruiser. But when I go away I have a 60L fridge, 50L esky, 2 swags, 60L of fuel in jerry cans, and 40L of water. That space fills up prity quickly. That load is for the week away trips, for overnighters I drop the fuel and halve the water. I'll just have to see what will fit
Old 27-06-2006, 02:10 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

maybe an ed80 is or you then...
Old 27-06-2006, 03:35 PM
astro_nutt

Ok Shane..you certainly need those nccessaties when away for a week!...
If I'd had to do the same..I'll pick up one of those dinky "KMart" trailers for all the camping gear...and put the optical stuff in the car...(might put that on the Xmas wish list along with the superview EP's!)
Old 27-06-2006, 07:02 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

A 50mm celestron crapomatic is quite portable