Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-08-2013, 04:41 PM
strummer4 (Steve)

What scope to buy?

I'm looking at either a Celestron Nexstar 8 or a Meade LX90 8". Which is better and why? Is it best to buy Local or is it ok to get it shipped from overseas?
Better to get a new one or used? Where is the best place to look for used scopes? eBay?? What prices should I be looking at paying for used? What accessories should I get? Thanks for any assistance!
Old 16-08-2013, 03:05 PM
wayne anderson (Wayne)

Hi Steve, I have not used the Nexstar or LX90, I have used the 8"Meade LX200 SCT and the 8" CPC Celestron SCT both with alt/az fork mount, optically I found they are very much the same and the Goto and tracking abilities similar, the Celestron C8 was a little lighter in weight and easier to lift, so being optically similar either would be good for viewing, but when it comes to Astrophotography there is a lot more to consider, I have sent you a PM with more details.

Wayne
Old 09-09-2013, 10:26 PM
strummer4 (Steve)

Thanks Wayne. I ended up getting a Meade Lx 90 acf 8" . Fairly new, about 2 months old. I'm just learning how to use it and wondering what accessories to get, ...

Hope you are well and happy!
Steve