Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-02-2015, 03:15 AM
nandopg

Help with a Electric Focuser for a Quattro 10"

Hello all,
I just purchased a Skywatcher Quattro 10" f/4 and now I would like to get an electric focuser for it.

Can someone who has this same scope, help me indicating an electric focuser's brand and model ? I would be grateful.

Best Regards,

Fernando
Old 19-02-2015, 07:16 AM
Logieberra (Logan)

The Skywatcher 'Electric Focus' should do the trick, and at $95 is about as cheap as they come in electric focus solutions: http://www.bintel.com.au/Astrophotog...oductview.aspx

I see you're from Brazil. It is probably also sold under the United States label for Skywatcher, 'Orion'.

Good luck.
Old 19-02-2015, 01:16 PM
nandopg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logieberra View Post
The Skywatcher 'Electric Focus' should do the trick, and at $95 is about as cheap as they come in electric focus solutions: http://www.bintel.com.au/Astrophotog...oductview.aspx

I see you're from Brazil. It is probably also sold under the United States label for Skywatcher, 'Orion'.

Good luck.
Hi Logan,
Thank you for the suggestion. Do you think this solution would cope with a ccd and accessories weighting 4.5Kg?

Thanks again,

Fernando
Old 19-02-2015, 03:37 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

If you do get the sky-watcher one. Make sure to take the 9V battery out when it is not in use. It drains the 9v battery even when your not moving the focuser. I recently threw out my Skywatcher focuser /w the electronic focus and replaced it with a GSO 2 speed and a nice large wheel for the fine focus knob. I can fine focus with a gentle touch from my pinky finger.
I can also tell you right now that the sky-watcher focuser cannot handle moving 4.5 kilo's of equipment without slippage. They are just not made to the precision required for such an exercise. An ES Coma corrector and ES14mm 100 eyepiece is ~ 1.6-1.8 kgs and it struggled with just that.

Your going to want a JMI, Moonlight or Starlight Instruments(Feathertouch) solution if you want to hang 4.5 kilo's.
Old 19-02-2015, 04:13 PM
raymo

I have the SW electric focuser, which as Adrian says, drains the battery
even when not in use. I fixed that easily by putting a little on/off switch to the left of the speed adjusting knob; half hour's work, and $5 for the switch; now works as good as gold. The electric focuser would struggle with lifting that amount of weight however.
To be fair, I doubt any other budget level focuser would handle 4.5 kg very well either. Mine handles around 3 easily enough.
raymo

Last edited by raymo; 19-02-2015 at 04:16 PM. Reason: more text