Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-05-2010, 05:44 PM
John Hothersall

Local Astro Suppliers advice

Hello guys, I am new to Australia and have emmigrated here from the UK. My scope should come end of June sometime

In the UK I knew all the suppliers personally but here I dont have a clue who give the best deals when buying accessories like adapters/filters/CCD's.

The UK retailers are all astronomers themselves with huge experience and advice they give over the phone of what will work best with what setup - like Bern from Modern Astronomy, Ian King and Steve at FLO back in the UK.

Have found Steve of MyAstroShop who seems to have a variety of astro stuff with lots of experience. Wondered if you could recommend to me other retailers.

Grateful, JohnH.

Last edited by John Hothersall; 24-05-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 24-05-2010, 05:54 PM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Hi,

Two who get many mentions here, but are in Sydney, and/or Melbourne:

https://www.bintelshop.com.au/welcome.htm

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm

There are several others including those advertising at right. There is also the very busy astro trading forum of course right here on IIS.

Welcome to Australia, and to Southern skies!

Cheers
Old 24-05-2010, 06:25 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hothersall View Post
Hello guys, I am new to Australia and have emmigrated here from the UK. My scope should come end of June sometime

In the UK I knew all the suppliers personally but here I have a clue who give the best deals when buying accessories like adapters/filters/CCD's.

The UK retailers are all astronomers themselves with huge experience and advice they give over the phone of what will work best with what setup - like Bern from Modern Astronomy, Ian King and Steve at FLO back in the UK.

Have found Steve of MyAstroShop who seems to have a variety of astro stuff with lots of experience. Wondered if you could recommend to me other retailers.

Grateful, JohnH.
Your in Brisbane right?
There is Sirius Optics, Star Optics and York Optical
http://www.sirius-optics.com.au/telescopes.htm
http://www.staroptics.com.au/
http://www.yorkoptical.com.au/
Old 24-05-2010, 06:26 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

OH OH OH!! You should pay a visit to South Astronomical Society... A astronomy society based 30 min from Brisbane I think...
Old 24-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi John, I've had a few dealings with the guy at Sirius Optics in Underwood and have always found him to be hugely helpful. Sorry, can't remember his name but he's always been the one to answer the phone when I've rung. He has always steered me in the right direction and takes the time to help. From what I've gathered, he attends the yearly Qld Astrofest as well. I have bought stuff over the phone by c/card and he promptly posts and I have also been into his shop (small but nice), even stocks back issues of Aust. Sky & Telescope Magazines!
Maybe someone here will come up with his name for you.
Old 24-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

That sounds like Ron (proprietor), as the other (ugly!) guy that helps out is a gnarly dude by the name of Peter – discoverer of 3 supernovae!

Cheers

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
Hi John, I've had a few dealings with the guy at Sirius Optics in Underwood and have always found him to be hugely helpful. Sorry, can't remember his name but he's always been the one to answer the phone when I've rung. He has always steered me in the right direction and takes the time to help. From what I've gathered, he attends the yearly Qld Astrofest as well. I have bought stuff over the phone by c/card and he promptly posts and I have also been into his shop (small but nice), even stocks back issues of Aust. Sky & Telescope Magazines!
Maybe someone here will come up with his name for you.
Old 24-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
the other (ugly!) guy that helps out is a gnarly dude by the name of Peter – discoverer of 3 supernovae!

Cheers

Dennis
Ah yes! There was an article on him in Aust. Sky and Telescope magazine a couple of months back!
Old 27-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Dean

Purchased my 10" dob from Ron at Sirius Optics in Underwood fairly recently. Good bloke and very helpful. through in a copy of Astronomy 2010 book as well free of charge

Was willing to help teach me to collimate the scope correctly too but I didn't need it.