Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-10-2023, 05:17 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Purchasing Older Scopes

Is there a limit to how old a scope you would purchase? Eyeing off an FCT-150 and going off the serial number indicates a manufacture date of 1992.
Old 24-10-2023, 05:39 PM
By.Jove (Jove)

I’d suggest it depends on the type of scope, who made it, and the condition it’s in.

As long as it’s not riddled with mould and the glass is in good condition, it is probably redeemable.

OTOH I’ve seen a Questar 7 so badly neglected it was only fit for the trash.
Old 24-10-2023, 07:04 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

The FCT150 is a heavy beast, needs permanent mount…… but a beautiful scope, “condition , condition, condition” as the real estate agents say….
Old 24-10-2023, 08:24 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

I wouldn't buy a 30 year old Skywatcher but a 30 year old Tak that's been looked after should be ok. That's IF it's been looked after.
Old 24-10-2023, 08:44 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Depending on the condition of the instrument, older telescopes can actually increase in value.
Telescopes are not products that "wear out" by gathering photons.

Many optical designs are not being made anymore for commercial reasons and are simply too expensive to make in the current environment.

Professional instruments can and do provide decades of excellent data with little or no change to their optics.

A customer of mine sadly kept his Astro-Physics AP155 under a tarp, like a lawnmower, outside on a verandah! The AR coatings were shot and focuser was riddled with corrosion. It was sold for peanuts.

Had he kept it in mint condition, it would have sold for more than double than what he paid for it new. Age is not a problem. Condition is indeed paramount and will reward the next owner with sublime data that a new "made to a price" rather than "made to a specification" instrument simply can't match.