Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-02-2006, 03:37 PM
yagon
less computer, more stars

poor eyesight - how does it affect observing?

I'm interested to learn about the effect of poor eyesight when observing through telescopes etc.

Does being short sighted change the quality of image that can be observed?

Should one use glasses when observing?

Does the focus need to change between wearing glasses and without glasses?
Old 28-02-2006, 03:42 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

if you are a glasses wearer and you dont wear 'em to observe then you need to compensate with the focuser
Old 28-02-2006, 04:07 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Yagon,

That depends entirely on whether you have astigmatism and how bad it is, in addition to how old you are. If you are just farsighted or nearsighted without astigmatism then you can remove your glasses and adjust the optical correction with the focuser itself. If you have astigmatism its severity is the major factor in how it will affect your observing without glasses. My astigmatism correction is -.75 diopters in my observing eye and I can observe without glasses using eyepieces that create an exit pupil under about 3mm. When the eyepiece used creates an exit pupil larger than 3mm the views deteriorate and the further away from the optical axis you go and the larger the exit pupil the worse they get. With long focal length eyepieces like my 27mm TV Panoptic creating a 5.4mm exit pupil, all of the stars in the entire FOV are all distorted to some degree and I don't even consider using this eyepiece without my glasses on. At the other end of the scale, namely my short focal length HD orthos, these all create small exit pupils and I have no problems using them without glasses.

May I ask how old you are and what your optical prescription is in your observing eye?

CS-John B
Old 28-02-2006, 04:38 PM
yagon
less computer, more stars

Based on what you've said, it shouldn't affect me, other than having to compensate for shortsightedness via the focuser.

I'm 33 years old and am short sighted in my observing eye: -1.25.
Old 28-02-2006, 04:57 PM

Yagon,

It certainly shouldnt affect you at the moment. Just be aware that it may in the future. I was about 33 yrs old when I developed -.25 diopters of astigmatism in my observing eye. This is not enough to worry about and I could observe without glasses until about 5 yrs ago when I turned 42. It then worsened a little and then a little bit more about 2 yrs ago, to the stage where I now prefer to observe with glasses on using any eyepiece providing an exit pupil over 2mm although 3mm is still reasonable.

If you plan on building a high quality set of eyepieces looking forward into the future it may be a good idea considering long eye relief eyepieces that you can use with or without glasses if your astigmatism develops or worsens in the future.

CS-John B
Old 28-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

I also suffer astigmatism which shows itself with exit pupils over 2mm and its been a good many years since I renewed my eyeglass prescription.
I am moderately short sighted and rarely wear my glasses except for driving at night in bad conditions. I dont bother wearing my glasses for observing, I just put up with it as the reflections drive me nuts.

If I get a new pair, they will be as much for astronomy as anything else.
What attributes should I be looking for in a pair of glasses optimised for astronomy use?
Old 28-02-2006, 06:51 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Just get a couple of Televue Dioptrixes and stick them into a nice frame.
Old 28-02-2006, 06:55 PM

Geoff,

I have a pair of glasses that I had made up from special high transmission glass from Hoya. It cost about $100 more than normal glasses and can be ordered from any optometrist. Multifocals or bifocals are not recommended for observing as they have a much smaller corrected area than normal single prescription glasses. I will find out the name of that special glass tomorrow and let you know. I also got special anti reflective coatings as well.

CS-John B
Old 28-02-2006, 07:01 PM
cjmarsh81

I am short sighted. I only wear glasses when I am driving though.

The only problem I have, is when I want to show someone an image through my telescope they have to refocus a great deal for their own eyes. But I try to buy eyepieces with long focal lengths, so when my eyes degrade further I can wear my glasses comfortably.
Old 28-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Appreciated John .

How do you find the observing with glasses experience?
Old 28-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)
He used to cut the grass.

I'm myopic, but fortunately the same in both eyes, which is -5. I tried using contact lenses years ago for observing but it didn't seem to work - I'm not sure if it was chromatic aberration or just mucus on the lenses. Anyone else ever tried contacts?

At least I don't have astigmatism. Has anyone tried the Televue Dioptrix (corrective lens that fits over the eye lens)?

Actually, my biggest bugbear is worsening floaters. Short of having a vitrectomy, is there anyway of getting rid of these buggers? (Laser?) This is perhaps one of the things that will ultimately drive me towards binoviewers.

Thanks,

Brian.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:04 AM
cjmarsh81

Unfortunately, I am short-sighted in both eyes and worse in the left eye. And for some reason I can only look through my left eye using the scope. My brain seems to use the left to focus more than the right so when I line anything up by eye it is always with the left. A pain seeing as this is my worst eye. Oh well.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:08 AM
GrampianStars (Rob)
Black Sky Zone

Cool

My right eye is 2 points towards short sightedness
when pistol shooting it was difficult being right-handed
and sighting with my left eye
I always use my left eye at the scope
Old 01-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Helmann (Brett)

What are floaters???
I find that when I observe, I squint with my other eye, thus making my observing worse.
I am considering using an eyepatch on my off eye while observing.
Does anyone else do this? does it help??

Cheers.
Brett.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)
He used to cut the grass.

Floaters.

As you get older the vitreous humour (the jelly in the posterior chamber of the eye, behind the lens) dries out and shrinks and can pull away from its attachment to the retina (vitreous detachment, as opposed to retinal detachment, which is a medical emergency). As it pulls away, debris and skerricks of jelly get torn off and these float freely in the back part of the eye. In certain circumstances, such as looking at a blank wall or clear sky, you see these "floaters" as amorphous strands which flick and drift through the field of view when you move your eyeball. Often the mind can suppress them, but when looking at bright objects through an eyepiece they can be quite distracting.

First time I saw my own floater, I was convinced some insect had laid an egg in my blood stream and that its larva had found its way into my eye!
Old 01-03-2006, 12:36 PM
GrampianStars (Rob)
Black Sky Zone

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaplacidus
Floaters.
First time I saw my own floater, I was convinced some insect had laid an egg in my blood stream and that its larva had found its way into my eye!
That's funny
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Eye-invasion.jpg)
61.1 KB24 views
Old 01-03-2006, 09:15 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

G'day yagon,

I have been shortsighted since I was about 10 and I always observe with out my specs, no dramas.