Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2013, 01:23 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

SkySlab

Is now solar powered ... well the EQ6 is so far.
My wife works for a UPS Company ( Uninteruptible Power Supply - not the delivery company ! ).
She gets a lot of trade-ins and old 'duds'. Most contain any number of 12 volt sealed cell batteries in various states of condition. I have acquired a bunch of 7Amp\Hr cells all in good nick. Parallel wired 5 of them up in a plastic tackle box to give 35 amp\hrs, bought a 1.5 watt solar trickle charger, added a car plug output\input and it is now sitting in the corner of the Ob. Tested to the mount and she is all good. I need to add an inline fuse ( none in my junk collection ) but all up cost was $22.98 for the trickle charger, the rest I had lying around. Charger delivers about 130 ma in full sunlight, quite enough to keep the batteries topped up and I reckon I could get about 15-20 hours run time from that. The battery box is portable enough to take away should that ever be useful.
I can attach a porta multi supply to run the laptop and a few led lights might be useful too.
I'm close to the house so a 230v supply is no problem but the benefit is being isolated from any AC issues and it's handy if I just want to do some testing or a run-up during the day without running the cord out there.
And I like the idea of some self sufficiency .
Now to find some lights to use some of that sunshine up ...