Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Radio Astronomy and Spectroscopy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Heian (Mark)

star classification listing

Hi all,
does anyone have, or know where I can download a listing of stars and their spectral class?

I've tried to generate one from CDC, but the "object list" function in CDC does not seem to list stars, only deep sky objects. I've got a listing from Kaler, but that only shows the proper name, and I'm after a list I can sort by constellation, or spectral class, or RA etc...

thanks
Mark
Old 22-10-2012, 06:56 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heian View Post
Hi all,
does anyone have, or know where I can download a listing of stars and their spectral class?

I've tried to generate one from CDC, but the "object list" function in CDC does not seem to list stars, only deep sky objects. I've got a listing from Kaler, but that only shows the proper name, and I'm after a list I can sort by constellation, or spectral class, or RA etc...

thanks
Mark
except for planetarium programs I don't think there is one catalogue that fits all
Try googleing something like Deep Sky Star catalogue, or Hipparcus star catalogue to see what you get
Cheers
Old 22-10-2012, 07:25 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heian View Post
Hi all,

What magnitude of stars are you talking about? The HD catalog has spectral classes.
CdC lists stars in the "object list". You need to enable stars in "Setup → Chart, Coordinates → Object filter". I got over 900 in a 5 deg field around tonight's location of 168P - stars from WDS, HD, BD, Hipparcos, but mostly 4UC.
Old 22-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Heian (Mark)

Thanks for the advice gents. Andrew, I adjusted the CDC setip as per your post and now it all works as I hoped it to.

Thanks for your help.

Mark
Old 26-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I use AstroPlanner to do this sort (!) of thing.
I've uploaded an Astroplanner user plan which covers all the WR catalogues and objects from Kaler's book which are illustrated with sample spectra.
Neat and easy!