Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2012, 07:29 PM
leon

How should i use the WI Fi 4G

Hi guys, firstly a big thank you to the people that assisted me with suggestions about setting up a new wifi internet service.

I do however have one question, and it is this.

I am now using a Bigpond Mobile WI-Fi 4 G unit and i have to say it is super fast and works just fine.

It has a battery in the unit, which enables us to use it that way and charge it up when it gets low, plus a charging cable and plug.

Is it ok to have it plugged into the power point all the time while we are stationary our should i use it with battery mode and recharge when necessary, the battery lasts about 6 hours of use and 100 hours on stand by.

Thanks for you responses in advance

Leon

Last edited by leon; 07-09-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

I just leave mine permanently plugged into a USB port to keep it charged-my computers don't go anywhere anyway.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:46 PM
leon

Thanks Laurie. i just edited my thread, i meant to say is it ok to leave plugged into the power point with the charger full time.

Leon
Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

I don't know, Leon, but I don't see why not. These chargers all stop charging once the battery is fully charged. It would not be any different to me leaving mine permanently plugged into a USB.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:30 PM
leon

Good point Laurie, the booklet that comes with it has no mention of it, so i presume if it was not a good idea, it would be mentioned

Leon
Old 07-09-2012, 09:43 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Thanks Laurie. i just edited my thread, i meant to say is it ok to leave plugged into the power point with the charger full time.
Leon, leaving battery powered devices permanently connected to the charger kills the battery. You should run it down to less than 50% from time to time, but not flat. Say every couple of weeks.

I have several Lithium batteries that won't hold anything like the stated charge, even after doing the recommended flatten/fully recharge cycle several times.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
Leon, leaving battery powered devices permanently connected to the charger kills the battery. You should run it down to less than 50% from time to time, but not flat. Say every couple of weeks.

I have several Lithium batteries that won't hold anything like the stated charge, even after doing the recommended flatten/fully recharge cycle several times.
Hi Andrew
With my unit, it is only connected to the USB when I am using the computer, and then it may not be used for a couple of days. So the battery would be discharging a bit between uses. As Leon says, there is nothing in the instructions about this question.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:52 PM
leon

Thanks for your response guys. I will just use some common sense and alternate the charging and discharging of the unit.

Leon