Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2012, 06:37 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Thumbs up Best Evidence- Top 10 UFO Sightings.

This video is well worth watching. Even if you're a skeptic, I'm sure it'll make you think.

I remain a fence sitter- I don't believe in UFO's (I'll be specific-alien visitors) but I'm open to the possibility so I tend to watch what I think are the more reputable docos (if that's possible ).

I'm awfully brave putting up a UFO doco on here I know ... some of these threads tend to attract some heated argument. I ask please, that perhaps we can share a healthy debate with respect if that does happen.

No#2 on the list about the SkyLab incident is a doozy don't you think? This is the first time I've heard about that incident.

http://www.latest-ufo-sightings.net/..._kA4o.facebook
Old 11-08-2012, 07:14 PM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Hi Suzy,

You are brave indeed but I'm with you on this.

I've just read through "The Eerie Silence" by Paul Davies, which really poses a lot of challenging questions about it.

Instead of just considering the Fermi Paradox - "Where are they all?", we should be asking "Why should they?" or even "When might they?", or "How exactly?"

It's a lot larger question than I first realized. There apparently isn't really much reason why we would see any evidence of ET.

This means that if we DO ever, it would be even more earth shaking than most of us have thought.

Myself, I don't believe in actual flying saucers zooming around Earth right now, but as to the bigger question..... are they out there anywhere...... it has many more implications than we usually consider.

Cheers
Old 11-08-2012, 08:46 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

Here's the reason they aren't closer than they are.
Well, it's what I'd put up there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (WARNING.jpg)
37.6 KB192 views
Old 11-08-2012, 08:54 PM
clive milne

One of favourite science fiction? movies of all time is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPmgR5ituU4
Old 11-08-2012, 09:03 PM
mozzie (Peter)

thanks suzy..enjoyed watching that....my opinion well you just never know??

of topic been watching finding bigfoot on animal planet with my 8 year old on a tuesday night.i'll say one thing it frightens my boy when he's ready for bed after it..same thing you just don't know....iv'e seen something when i was younger that really frightened me !!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:40 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

My father recounted an experience when he was out rowing in the area outside loch Ness - another loch that opened into the sea where his submarine was stationed.
What he saw was a long neck with a head that came out of the water behind the boat (he was rowing so facing aft.) he dropped the oars and my mother turned to see what had made dad gasp and all she got was the large rippling circle where it had dropped back into the water.
I've no reason to doubt my dad he didn't regale his mates or anything - just kept his mouth shut. My mother told me about it 30 years later.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:29 PM
PeterM

OK I will be in a healthy debate. Watched it and now here's one of my favourite UFO videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YQiYUD8klc
Having tried similar some years ago I know it works a treat over Brissy.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:34 PM
leon

Thanks Suzy, but i am not convinced at all, I am a true non believer in this sort of stuff, but that is just me.

Leon
Old 11-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Colin_Fraser

I saw the one about the US military in Britain once before except it was a longer version.
In the longer version the squad was despatched to investigate and they recorded weird sounds on the tape recorder they took with them.
Why on earth would you take a tape recorder and not a camera?
Old 11-08-2012, 11:06 PM
SkyViking (Rolf)

I used to be fascinated by UFO stories when I was a kid. But something always seemed illogical about it: For example, why would aliens fly around in spaceships with lights on...? What would the purpose be? That just doesn't make sense.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

As Carl Sagan was fond for saying, "extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence".

To be blunt, the holes in that (Youtube/UFO) argument you could could drive a Mack truck through.

In the age of millions if, not billions, of image capture devices, you'd think someone would have caught a nice clear picture of ET and despite this BS being debunked time and time again, still there some stalwarts who believe similarly to those who think the earth is flat...

I have seen many trained professionals mis-interpret parallax, and mistake Venus as a "tracking" light in the Sky.

Expert opinion and the opinion of an uninformed "expert" are often vastly different. It doesn't take a lot of crtitical thought to work out who the snake oil salesperson is.....

Do I think there is life elsewhere in the Universe? ...well yes...could be anything from bacteria to sentient beings.

but..as Douglas Adams once wrote, the Universe is *really* big....hence as for aliens are hovering around the earth in UFO's...the word delusional comes to mind.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Jan Masu

2007 UFO over Mexico on Fox News

Watch this as reported on Fox News.
UFO tracked by Mexican air force plane and videoed on a high resolution camera!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2h...force-cnn_news
Old 12-08-2012, 12:49 AM
Suzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Masu View Post
Watch this as reported on Fox News.
UFO tracked by Mexican air force plane and videoed on a high resolution camera!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2h...force-cnn_news
Do chinese lanterns fly that high
Hmmmm that's an interesting Video Jan, thanks for the link. I don't know what to make of it, but whoa interesting!
Quote from video: "Members of the Mexican Defence Department say it's the first time UFO's have the backing of any country's armed forces."
So I say shoot 'em down and let's see what it is.

So, has anyone got any ideas of what that thing SkyLab saw could be???
Old 12-08-2012, 05:15 AM
stephenb (Stephen)

What I thought was ironic was the FBI warning at the start of the film.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:50 AM
mozzie (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenchris View Post
My father recounted an experience when he was out rowing in the area outside loch Ness - another loch that opened into the sea where his submarine was stationed.
What he saw was a long neck with a head that came out of the water behind the boat (he was rowing so facing aft.) he dropped the oars and my mother turned to see what had made dad gasp and all she got was the large rippling circle where it had dropped back into the water.
I've no reason to doubt my dad he didn't regale his mates or anything - just kept his mouth shut. My mother told me about it 30 years later.
did you ever see a doco jen on nat geo or discovery re:looking for lochness it was a few years ago using radar or that kind of equipment...great show
Old 12-08-2012, 08:17 AM
bojan
amateur

Suzy,
have a look at this thread (this forum):
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...&highlight=UFO, post #10.
I haven't changed my opinion on the subject since that event

Last edited by bojan; 12-08-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:22 AM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Good to know that Oz makes it into the top 20 for sightings...proof positive that it is world wide Are these the same people that provided the Bush Administration with the WMD advice???? Like the list of sightings on the right hand side of the screen, thats 1 a day or more. At that rate I should be seeing my own UFO real soon..if only I could wipe the tears from my eyes after laughing so much in time to see it move past...
Nice thread Suzy.
Not sitting on the fence, Matt
Old 12-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Suzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Suzy,
have a look at this thread (this forum):
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...&highlight=UFO, post #10.
I haven't changed my opinion on the subject since that event
That's a doozy!
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad boy!

Quote:
I was present when one image of three UFO's over the city in central Europe was taken, 40 years ago.... recently I found that image on one UFO website, and the event is even mentioned in one of Von Daniken's books..

Basically, it happened like this: One evening couple of my mates gathered on the observatory, and were bored to death.. so one of us decided to do something about it.

He went into a dark room and projected on the wall the piece of paper with three holes on it.. and he took a picture of this.
Then, he went to the window (from where the panorama of city was visible) and took another exposure on the same piece of film (with Exacta Varex, this 35mm camera was capable of multiple exposures without film advance).
The final photo looked VERY good and convincing... but that was it for the evening, the whole exercise was done to prove the concept
However, next evening another guy appeared, who did not have the knowledge of what went on the night before, and someone showed him the photo, saying it was real and taken the night before.. The other guy got very excited.. and he phoned the local papers telling them about UFO's above the city.. and when reporters arrived, everyone got scared and did not know what to do (we were 16 yo).. so they decided to go along and made up the whole story, which was published next day as a pretty big sensation
There was a lot of "soul-searching" for couple of days later, even the military was involved (because they did not see anything on their radars...). I do not have to tell you that after this article in local paper, there were hundreds of reports and sightings..
The original negative was destroyed (thrown into the stove and burned).

And, since then, I am VERY suspicious and basically dismissive about those reports.. especially today when with the help of PhotoShop ANYTHING is possible..

Mozzie, I like Big Foot stories, I'll have to see if there's a re-run of it on Foxtel. Such a legend! I want it to be real... he's out there...somewhere....
Go to love legends!

Jennifer, that was an amazing story! Whatever it was it sure scared your father. I remember a documentary I watched some years ago of the big hunt for it, scouring the lake with hi-tech equipment.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:09 AM
leon

Have to agree with Peter, one would thought that in this day and age some one would have taken a clear picture of any one of these events, everything is always blurred.

All hocus pocus i reckon.

leon
Old 12-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Exfso (Peter)

This is one loaded thread. I worked in aviation hence my Nick EXFSO, for 30 years, had some very interesting experiences relating to UFO's. I wont go into them as I will probably get canned about them, but one does stick out in my memory, and it is about a very good friend of mine who was a commercial pilot with 30,000 hrs in command. He related to me an incident that happened to him flying from LeighCreek to Adelaide one clear moonless night. This guy was one very level headed dude, and I believe what he saw was something that is very hard to explain away as naturally occurring. Without going into too much detail, which is quite vague to me now, in a nutshell he had some sort of "craft" flying in formation with him off his port wing for around 20 minutes, it did not have wings as we know it, and to put it bluntly it scared the "crap" out of him. When it decided to leave him, he was approaching radar coverage from Adelaide radar in the vicinity of Port Pirie. He did not report it to Control as they would not have seen it anyway as at that time radar coverage was not available at the level he was flying at and at that distance from Adelaide. When he landed at Adelaide he was ghostly white and visibly shaking. Whatever it was it left an indelible mark on his memory.