Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-12-2011, 04:30 PM
NagaX (Marie)

New as new can be

Hi all

My name is Marie and I'm so new to star gazing via a telescope. I just got given a Meade LT 6" and am loving it so far. Still trying to find my way around it and getting use to things but I'll get there. I live in Mount Barker, South Australia and have had quite a few glorious nights of stars (not the last 2 days though).

Anyway, I've looked at the obvious objects of interest like Jupiter, Venus, the waxing moon and the main big stars and major constellations BUT I would love for someone to advice me on what's a good list of things to start looking at. Never mind if your list includes what I've seen already as I can look at them all day everyday, I love it so much.

I just don't want to miss anything out there and if anyone knows enough to kindly point me to the best spots to look I'll be so appreciative.

M
Old 28-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Hi NagaX.

I am new to this forum as well. I was tempted by the Meade Scopes before I got a Dobsonian. A lot of thought has gone into their design.

Some of my favorites.....so far:
Globular Cluster - 47 Tucanae (NGC 104)
Nebula - Tarantula Nebula (NGC 2070)
Open Cluster - Jewel Box (NGC 4755) and the Pleiades (M45)

The list is endless and a star chart is a useful aid.

Stellarium is a free program that is very helpful in letting you know what is visible in the night sky.
Old 28-12-2011, 05:12 PM
NagaX (Marie)

Thanks. Getting Stellarium now!

M
Old 28-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Hi Marie,

Welcome to the forum and to astronomy.

Stellarium's a good start.

However, you might want to hit up www.skymaps.com and download their monthly sky chart for the southern hemisphere. It lists most of the easily visible and notable objects, by classification (naked eye, binocular, telescope).

It's a very handy way to start out to find the bigger objects. Then, using software such as Stellarium, you can muscle your way through the more challenging objects.

Hope this helps!

H
Old 28-12-2011, 06:54 PM
gbeal

Hi Marie (and Stu of course).
welcome to the best forum out.
A good place to start could also be a local astro society or club. Or canvas the members here for those that are close to where you live. Buddy up with them and learn, it is a learn by doing hobby, and the more you can watch the better.
Either way, keep asking questions here, there are heaps of knowledgable members and they are only too happy to answer any and all the questions.
Gary